Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the most economical

waynes_world_45

I want to dabble in Open Class, partly due to my aging eyes, but the finances right now just wont allow a several thousand dollar gun. I even had one that I had to let go, and the few times I shot it, I really enjoyed it.

I have no ideas of making Master or anything. I'm a "B" shooter in production and probably only shoot about 5k rounds a year right now due to time and money.

Is a used open Glock the way to go?, or an STI in some outdated caliber (9X21) that someone has upgraded from? Since my round count is fairly low, the price of exotic brass wont kill me.

Can I get in for under $1000?

I reload on a 650.

what are you guys thoughts?

First thought is , There is no open class in USPSA,second thought would be a used sti in 38 would be the cheap route, but you aint gonna do it for under a thousand, I guess the really cheap way to open would be to take your current production gun and accidntly on purpose like shoot 11 rounds out of a magazine, Welcome to open!

I think I'd invest in a good set of glasses or contacts before I'd try to buy an open gun that cheap. You're obviously a good shooter and enjoying the sport if you've made B-class, but $1000 is not enough money to buy a competitive open gun.

In fact, I've been willing to pay in the $2k range for a decent S_I 9mm open gun (with at least a few mags) for quite some time, and I've yet to find one at that price point that I was willing to spend my money on.

I shot Paras in open for many years until I upgraded to an STI.

If it were not for the price of the brass, I would still be shooting 9x21. Its a good round that found prominence back in the old days when USPSA did not allow Major in 9x19.

For some reason, used ParaOrdnance open guns seem to not hold their price nearly as well as and STI/SVI so that may be a good place to start.

It wouldn't hurt to place an ad in the forum's classifieds once you have a handle on what you might want. There is a good chance someone out there may have one with an old Tasco sight that will stay within your budget.

Bill

/off topic

I hate the it's not competitive line. I shot with a guy up in Rochester, NY that made it to "M" with a 40.

But, you do what you think is right.

/on topic

Good luck in open and finding one to fit your budget.

/off topic

I hate the it's not competitive line. I shot with a guy up in Rochester, NY that made it to "M" with a 40.

But, you do what you think is right.

/on topic

Good luck in open and finding one to fit your budget.

Read my post again....I said "as competitive". When they make a 170mm mag that holds 28-29 rounds of 40 S&W, it will be "as competitive". I own two open 40S&W's, and a 38 super....Guess which one I usually shoot in USPSA matches? Now, the 40's for bowling pin matches? That is an awesome choice....180 grain bullet, big heavy comp, takes those pesky pins clean off the table.

My bad. 40 is still a good choice for a first open gun though. I just learned how to dissect a stage on where to make a mag change and it rarely mattered. Like you, I shoot my 38SC more anyway.

Too bad they don't have a pin league around here, otherwise I'd probably keep the thing.

Sorry for the drift.

I found what I thought was a very good deal on a custom built STI in 9x23.

I have shot a ton of 9x19 out of it, only shoot the 9x23 at large matches. If you have a round get in front of the extractor your screwed, but I only had that happen a few times and a new extractor solved that prob.

As stated before, you can prolly find a good deal on a caspian or para. They don't seem to hold the value like others.

Have fun

I'd suggest the Glock open gun like shown above. One our local guys built one and I thought it shot great. You'd probably like it since you already shoot a Glock.

Maybe just turn your existing Glock Production gun into an open with mag extensions for your existing mags.

Chris

ETA: I can get 28+1 rounds or 27 reloadable in my SV 170 mags in 40. Reliable as well.

Edited by Resjudicata

It seems like there are always open Glocks around.

I lucked into an open Para.

The gun isn't the limiting factor in the equation.

An open Para, Glock, Caspian are all a gamble at that price.

If possible buy the most wretched looking one from someone you know who has one that runs.

(And make sure you can duplicate their pet load.)

Edited by furyalecto

thanks guys.....how do the little optics compare to the full siza CMore?

That's a whole other discussion, but it seems the smaller optics solve any problems of ejected cases jamming up the gun since the Cmore hangs over the ejection port.

I think I'd invest in a good set of glasses or contacts before I'd try to buy an open gun that cheap.

If his vision problem is similar to mine, which is purely age-related, then glasses do not help much... that was one of the reasons I moved into Open - iron sights have become too much of a chore, slowing me down.