Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are you a multi press household?

lumpygravy

I have 2 on my bench: Dillon 650XL and a RCBS Rockchucker (both on Dillon Strong Mounts)

The RC was my original press. When I started shooting USPSA, I got a Lee Pro-1000, and then another. Eventually I got a Dillon 650XL. I load all of my practice, .223 Match and most of my pistol rounds on the Dillon. I load all of my hunting ammo and most of my "precision rifle" rounds on the RC, mostly in small batches of 50 at a time. Obviously the RC was too slow for the ammo needs of USPSA and 3gun. I honestly could not afford a 650 when I paid $80 for a Lee Pro-1000, and it served me well for many years. But I always knew I wanted a 650. If I did not hunt, I probably would not need the RC. I load 50 rounds in about 30 minutes on the RC, maybe once every 5 to 10 years for each hunting caliber. It has some other utilitatrian uses, but one of the main reasons I keep it is that I can't justify $100 or more for 25 caliber conversions for the Dillon to load for half an hour once every 5 to 10 years. Just dies is all I need to add a caliber. I also use it to work up a new load if I am varying several parameters. I takes less time on the RC than a Dillon to load 5 rounds times 10 different loads.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a 550 for everything. It's older than me and was originally a 450 that was upgraded. I bought it used online several years ago for new price with a bunch of dies, conversions, etc. included.

I do have a Lee single stage, but I've never used it for anything and it's on loan to a friend right now. I'm sure I'll find a use for it eventually.

My father and I have debated quite a bit on this subject: I have a 550 with strong mount, single stage Kodiak Press, Mec 9000 for 12 ga, and Pacific 366 for 28ga set up.

He loves his RCBS piggybacks for some reason :rolleyes: and has probably 30 or 40 presses altogether(all different varieties). He has a kind of "universal stand" he made that he switches them around on.

We have so many oddball calibers that he wants to have one set up for each caliber and just switch to that one each time. I've been trying to get him to switch to Dillon for years... unfortunately he's as stubborn as I am.

Great feedback y'all!! :bow::cheers:

Maybe I should have made this a poll, but from the responses so far, I seem to see a pattern for 2+ presses primarily if one loads ammunition requiring both large and small primers or if one loads for handgun and rifle. To a lesser degree (but not far behind) it seems that many use a primary loading press and a single stage press for prepping (de-glocking) brass.

It's been so long, I don't remember: Is is a major hassle switching a 650 from LP to SP?

All I remember is that one needs to switch the casefeed plate and the primer assembly. I don't remember it being a hassle, but I was young and stupid.

I shoot primarily .40 with some .45 so I'm definitely in the LP/SP camp and I'm defintely looking into a bullet feeder this time around.

Oh come on make me a offer on the 550. It has everything to load 40. Just bolt it down and load away.Still has free shipping.It sure would look good with that new Brazo sitting by it!

Edited by texbran

Hi Kyle I'm ready to make you a good deal on the 550 so you can have one for all calibers. I will give you free shipping also.

I'm interested, how much? jackculotta62@yahoo.com

Brandon

Well Kyle lives 1/2 mile from me and works closer than that.It might be alittle more shipping on your side of the world.As for price I really have not thought about that.Pm me and we will talk.

Started a few back with a XL650 with all the bells and whistles (no bullet feeder). I have full conversion kits and dies for 9mm, 40SW, 9x23/38SC, 300Whisper, and .223. I have a RCBS Rockchucker for .308Win (mostly 1000yd reloading).

Mark K

I hate loading ammo. I started with a Square Deal B, progressed to a 650 when a friend made me a deal, and then a couple of years later, found a used RL 1050 on e-bay. The 1050 is permanently set up for 9mm production loading -- which I shoot probably 9/10 matches. The 650 is hanging around loading everything else, since it's easier and cheaper to caliber convert.

The SDB was sold long ago....

1050 for 9mm (major, minor/production, steel loads)

650 for .40, .45, 38spl, .223 and .308

Rockchucker for various small projects

Looking for a Harrell's turret for handcrafting some benchrest ammo

Two 550B's. One for small primers and one for large primers.

Same for me with multiple topends for different calibers/loads. Also have an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press for other loading.

Funny, you guys talk about slow. I started reloading in 1975 on a very tight budget. with one of these.

leeloader.jpg

Progressed to a used RCBS JR which I still have, then a 550, then 2 550s. A buddy had a gun I wanted and needed a press so I swapped a 550 and regretted it from day one. Just completed a deal on this forum for another 550 and will be back to where I want to be.

I got a line on a guy at my club with 14 presses of different varieties, casting gear and a shot maker that is selling out when he gets back in the spring. I may need to build more benches :devil:

Hi Kyle I'm ready to make you a good deal on the 550 so you can have one for all calibers. I will give you free shipping also.

Brandon

How much you want for it?

I think 480.00 shipped would be a good deal.It has everything for the 550 that you need.

Strong mount

cartrige bin

complete set up for 40 cal

aluminum bullet tray

I can send you a pic. from my phone.

Use a 550B for 9mm, 40, 45acp, 45LC, 38special, 380, Rock Chucker for rifle, an old single stage Hornady 12ga shotshell loader, 20ga MEC 650 And a hydrolic MEC 9000 in 12ga. Could use another one or two though.

I actually have 4 presses - two 550B's, a RCBS Rockchucker and a MEC 650JR. I have the Rockchucker/MEC set up so I can swap them out on the bench. I wanted 2 550's because I hated swapping out priming assemblies. A local club member gave me a sweet deal on a used one so I jumped on it. I have one set up for Small Primers and the other set up for Large. The Rockchucker I use for rifle and the MEC for shotgun.

002106.JPG