Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some new shooting pants

Corey

Well, fall is here and although the main local shooting scene is winding down, Im sure Ill be able to find some range time and a match or two somewhere and it may be a bit cold to wear my usual shooting shorts like I did most of the year :unsure:. seems like the 5.11 pants are pretty common, but a lot of options and Id really like a pair of pants that have zip-off bottoms to turn them into shorts and the heat rises throughout the day.

Whats everyone wearing for shooting pants in the colder months? Dont need anything insulated or anything, just something to cover my legs from the snow :closedeyes:

I don't think they do the zip off legs, but I can't say enough good things about the EOTAC pants. I tried 511 Tactical pants and they just didn't work for me. Nice pants but the fit wasn't right (waist band to high, i like a lower waist band so it doesn't impede with my belly B) ).

Edited by cave_canem

No zip off bottom, but I like the Rigg Ranger work pants. They hold up to my every day work and they work well as range wear. People comment on the leather reinforcement on the RH front pocket asking if it is for a pocket knife. It is for a tape measure :rolleyes:

33332_4688-ranger-pant_large.jpg?1271110431

They make shorts too.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

They don't convert to shorts but I love me Tru Spec 24-7 pants. I got mine from the US Cavalry Store near Fort Knox. It was great being able to try all the different brands on and seeing for myself which were best. Cheapest place I found them AND no shipping costs. Another good place with lots of selection LA Police Gear.

They don't convert to shorts but I love me Tru Spec 24-7 pants. I got mine from the US Cavalry Store near Fort Knox. It was great being able to try all the different brands on and seeing for myself which were best. Cheapest place I found them AND no shipping costs. Another good place with lots of selection LA Police Gear.

You were down here and didn't call............... :(

I work about 10 minutes from the store.

Back to the original question-LA police gear has there own brand of "tactical" pants. I wear them everyday for work and the 5.11 pants hang in the closet. I have bought them on sale for $12-15 per pair. I don't know about the convertables-they may have some.

Dave

Another vote for LAPolicegear.com. They have good deals going on all the time. Last year got a couple of pairs of 5.11 shorts for $8 each. Get on their e mail list.

Edited by Trini

Another vote for LA Police gear.

I did a Google search for 5.11 Academy shorts, the came back with a slew of 5.11 dealers that had discounts on their pants. I really like the durability of 5.11 but hate pay retail for anything. I pretty much wear 5.11 because they were pretty cheap. Like under $20 a pair.

I have a pair of lightweight Columbia convertible pants which are ok.

Check REI and Sierra Trading Post for deals.

Ex-Officio has good zip off pants. But the pants I like best are the black shooting jeans from D-Shoot ( Dynamic Shooting). Its jean material with some stretch in it and the pockets close for shooting. From Double Alpha.

I would recommend checking out REI.com I have a pair of the REI brand pants that are holding up pretty well. The one cargo pocket has an internal pocket that fits a SS magazine nicely. Columbia also makes some good pants.

Hello: I found some Wrangler pants at Walmart with lots of pockets and more comfortable than 5.11's. You could always still wear your shorts but use some really long socks :roflol: Thanks, Eric

He already uses really long socks....Last picture I saw of Corey not wearing them, I thought he was riding a chicken!

Try the Columbia PFG pants.....

Edited by GrumpyOne

Crye Precision makes a great shooting pant. Stretch panels at the knees that let you get down into position, exterior knee pad pockets so you can insert them as needed. Really pricey but very nice. I don't know if anyone sells them but Crye but I'm going to order a second pair.

+1 for the Tru-Spec 24-7 pants. I asked my son for a pair of 5.11 tactical pants for Christmas last year, but he got the Tru-Spec 24-7 at one of the stores near Ft. Benning. GREAT mistake. These were the light weight rip-stop type material. Great fit. I ended up getting more, and wear them every day in an office environment, and have had lots of comments about how nice they are. They have a teflon coating on the fabric, and so far when I have worn them (and the same fabric in shorts) at matches, gun residue from the muzzle at the right pocket as just washed off. The back pockets are deep, but have an inner pouch/pocket higher up so you can put your wallet (or a barney mag)in it, and not have to go mid-forearm deep to retrieve it. I am currently wearing a pair of the heavier cotton blend ones that are nice in colder weather.

The adjustable waist band works with my ever changing waist size, they probably go about 1" plus or minus the actual stated size.

I after the first pair from my son, I have purchased from L.A. Police Gear on sale. I would endorse buying from Chris at CPWSA (but he does not list the lighter weight material).

Not only that, but I know of at least one shooter being sponsored by Tru-Spec.

Mark k