Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All steel production guns?

I'm making the transition away from Glocks and other plastic guns and going with all metal guns. I like the way heavier guns shoot.

So, what are my options for an all steel production gun? :cheers:

CZ SP-01 Shadow.

My Production Gun is a CZ Shadow Angus Custom Shop, my wife shoots a 75B that has been tricked out, both are great guns just more about how you want it to feel in the hand. The 75B is lighter weight and balances differenctly otherwise it shoots the same.

I wish someone would make a steel framed striker fired gun.  IMO, that would be the hot ticket.

I've played with one of the metal glock frames someone built up into a limited gun. Felt pretty nice. Of course, I don't think that works in production. 

Para Ordnance P-18 LDA ... the reset kinda sucks, but if you're a trigger "slapper", it's an awesome pistol!

+1 38oz of all steel 1911.

I've been toying around with mine. I just wish there was a way to shorten the trigger reset.

Just made the switch from a Glock 17 to the CZ SP-01, highly recommend trying one if you can, I really dig mine.

I found a good deal on a like new regular SP-01 and just did sights and then the trigger job myself based off great info on the CZ forum, works better for me than the Shadow actually since it's easier to get the standard model to make weight for IDPA which I tend to shoot the most.

Post-trigger-job mine feels real close to a custom shop gun with comp hammer, so it can be done with a stock hammer and firing pin block but it did take a few tries to get it there. If you don't want to deal with any of that just get a Shadow from Czcustom.

Now DA is like a nice revolver, and SA breaks like a top-shelf 1911 (except this thing runs WAY better than ANY 9mm 1911 i've ever seen).

Just a way easier gun to shoot well, first time I shot it I was like "wow, I'm good!" and I put it through 1100 rds without cleaning it to see if I'd have to get used to less reliability, but so far I'm really impressed.

My dream gun would be the S&W 5" 5906. good luck finding one though.

I don't think that gun is on the current Production list. The 5906 is listed. But the 5in Performance Center gun is a different gun, with a different weight. ?

There was a discussion about this at one time, the end result was somebody wrote sedro and it was determined the gun was ok, I have been wanting one ever since.

My dream gun would be the S&W 5" 5906. good luck finding one though.

I don't think that gun is on the current Production list. The 5906 is listed. But the 5in Performance Center gun is a different gun, with a different weight. ?

There was a discussion about this at one time, the end result was somebody wrote sedro and it was determined the gun was ok, I have been wanting one ever since.

And the rules have changed since. Until it specifically appears on the list -- sorry, nope.....

I agree that the steel framed guns are a good choice for Production. I really have a nasty weak hand only stage shake when I shoot the Glocks which seems to lessen or disappear when I shoot the CZ. I find the CZ 85 is about the best balance of weight overall for me, had the Shadow but found it a bit sluggish for me.

For the record, I shot a heavy CZ for years thinking it was awesome, but now I shoot a polymer gun and I think I was stupid before. Which means exactly jack, as people change tastes all the time.

the 5906 5" was ok'ed for production by the old rules, by NROI ruling. The change in the rules also says that, any gun that was legal would not be made illegal.From my understanding, NROI is working with S&W to get weights for several of their guns to amend the weights on the list. So, to say that it is illegal, I would challenge that. I know that there has been several people that have tried there best to exclude it from production but it still is just a 5906 with a 5" barrel not a totally different gun.The 5906 pc 4" gun has been legal with no question.

Nick, I would be happy to show you my letter from J.Amidon where he says that it is not illegal at this time,02april'10. I have not been notified by Mr Amidon otherwise. --JWB

CZ Shadow Custom!!!! I made the switch from striker fired guns in production to a CZ Shadow Custom and I will never look back. The Shadow is a very impressive gun, very accurate, reliable and comfortable plus the felt recoil is like a 22 lol.