Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What competition holster do you use and why?

GrumpyOne

Manny Bragg/USA for for my Glock Open blaster. Infinately adjustable, takes a serious beating, looks cool, and (most importantly) no Dremel work needed to make it run the way I WANT it to run. Truly versatile. After testing the Ghost, Guga, DAA RM, and this one side by side....MB/USA won out handedly.....

I run a Ghost Stinger for PRO with my G34 and couldnt be any happier with adjustability and feel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Manny Bragg/USA for open, before that DAA. Reworked the USA holster a bit for cosmetics but it's an awesome piece. Holds my open pistol and single-stack 1911 equally well, very secure and fast! For me, a little more forgiving than the DAA on re-holster and feels like plucking the pistol out of thin air on the draw.

I have had many holsters....Blade Tech, Safariland 012, CR WSM, Guga Ribas...and the Ghost....I vote for the ghost it is a much better for me (Left hand) Open division.

As a fellow lefty who is new to open and without a holster as of yet. I am shooting a G22 set up as a full race gun. I used a DOH in limited for my G35. Why did you decided to go with the ghost instead of the DAA race master left hand? Thanks for any pointers, I don't want to have a drawer full of holsters, just to find the right one.

My holster history:

Comp-Tac Belt holster for a HK USP Tactical. They were the only maker that e-mailed me back confirming the sights would fit.

Blade-Tech DOH for a CZ Shadow. I was really getting into USPSA, and the DOH seemed about as racy as I could get in production.

High Noon IWB leather holster for CZ Shadow. Needed and IDPA and carry holster.

Blade-Tech DOH slide holster for a Glock. Switched to Glock after having issues shooting in the cold with an all steel gun.

Comp-Tac M-TAC for the Glock. Needed a IDPA and carry holster.

Safariland 5187 for a Glock on a 567BL-2-150(1 inch drop). I switched out of the DOH because I wanted to move away from a double belt and DOH sometimes flop around when not on a double belt.

So I have my Comp-Tac and Safariland now that both ride on 1.75" Wilderness CSM belt. I'm pretty happy with that, although lately I'm starting to dislike the clips on the Comp-Tac M-Tac so I'm thinking about trying a Cross-Breed.

I read this thread because I'm at a cross roads of sorts. In 2008, I started with a Ghost and only knocked my pistol out of the holster, once during dry fire. The spring did wear out after a few years and had to be replaced.

I switched to the DAA Racemaster because it seemed like all the cool kids had made the switch. The locking mechanism broke during a low port walk through at the Texas Limited. Saul graciously replaced that part at "no charge". However, last weekend, my pistol fell out of the LOCKED holster twice during walk throughs.

So, I'm on the hunt for a new holster for Limited. I'm extremely tempted to just by another Ghost, but my coach and lots of other Champions use the CR Speed. Decisions....decisions.....

I do like that the Ghost is cheaper than the CR Speed and doesn't have to be adjusted between pistols..

Edited by SV-COP

• 5 weeks later...

Man SV Cop I hate to hear that, especially since I have a Racemaster and an SV that I would like to keep off the ground! I have to clean my Racemaster every couple months or it gets a little gritty but otherwise it has been 100% reliable, just get it how you want it and use blue Loc-tite. I have used it for about 18 months and it has seen a lotta trigger guards if you know what I mean!

• 1 month later...

I read this thread because I'm at a cross roads of sorts. In 2008, I started with a Ghost and only knocked my pistol out of the holster, once during dry fire. The spring did wear out after a few years and had to be replaced.

I switched to the DAA Racemaster because it seemed like all the cool kids had made the switch. The locking mechanism broke during a low port walk through at the Texas Limited. Saul graciously replaced that part at "no charge". However, last weekend, my pistol fell out of the LOCKED holster twice during walk throughs.

So, I'm on the hunt for a new holster for Limited. I'm extremely tempted to just by another Ghost, but my coach and lots of other Champions use the CR Speed. Decisions....decisions.....

I do like that the Ghost is cheaper than the CR Speed and doesn't have to be adjusted between pistols..

I have an S_I Ghost that is surplus to my needs. It has had 4 draws on it.

• 5 months later...

This post is almost 3 years old, I wonder how many people have changed what holster they use. There is aslo the new holster from Manny that is not on the list. Is there any way

you can change your vote?

Production/Limited- Safariland no retention. what I gain from a World Shoot or Ghost, I lose in repetition between classes. 3 Gun- Safariland ALS, because retention will get you sent home. ALS is almost as fast out of the gate, and holds your gun no matter what you do.

I use the CR Speed WSM II for Open, Limited and L10; it's pretty good, although you do have to look down when reholstering to get the barrel in the nub. Also, I lost my 'spot' one time right before a match and ended up tightening it at almost vertical... fumbled my draw twice and almost dropped my gun. The CR Speed needs to be tipped slightly forward or else the gun wants to topple out at the first contact.

As for production I use iTac (Israeli Tactical) holsters with the drop adapter and the serpa retention buttons removed. At first this was because they were the only makers of a holster for my Jericho 941, but the price is right and the adjustment is good, so I just got one for my Shadow too.

By the way, it would probably be helpful if we list the guns we use in each holster:

CR Speed WSM II:

-CZ 75 Tactical Sport .40

-CZ 75 Tactical Sport 9Major

-Tanfoglio small frame Open shorty 9mm

-Witness Hunter .45

iTac:

-CZ 75 SP01 Shadow 9mm

-IMI Jericho 941 9mm

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot uspsa production and bought a Blade-tech DOH but it is almost 1 inch too far away from the body when attached to a CR Speed belt.

I had to remove the DOH attachment to make it legal. Does anyone else have this problem? My BT has the Tech Loc attachment. I called BT and basically they told me tough s--t. Thats all we have.