Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What competition holster do you use and why?

GrumpyOne

Like the belt poll, just wanting to know what everyone uses and why. If you vote, please add your comments as to what you like/dislike about your current setup. Thanks!

PS. If you have a holster you would like added to the poll, please ask! And, please, if you vote "Other", please leave some comments as to what "Other"! Thanks!

Added "Null vote" for those of you who only shoot in one of the divisions listed.

Edited by GrumpyOne

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the Ghost since I can switch back and forth between lim and open seamlessly and I don't have to look at it to holster which is nice for dry fire. It's secure when it's locked though you do have to get used to it and remember to lock it or you run the risk of dropping a gun.

I had a CR speed but didn't like having to move the cup thing at the bottom and never got comfortable with putting it in the holster.

Hello: I use a Ghost pin holster for Open and sometimes limited, Blade Tech old DOH for Limited sometimes, Comp-Tac for Limited and Production. I voted Ghost for Open and the one that came with the gun since you don't have Comp-Tac. I like the Ghost old style pin holster since it is very fast and secure. I have had some holsters in the past that were not so secure. I use the closed holsters for pistols that I have not drilled a hole in the trigger guard yet or when I need to lay on the ground alot(3gun).The Comp-Tac I use since it is the fastest holster I could find for Production and they have great customer service :cheers: For your next poll I use Safariland 771 mag holders for USPSA and Comp-Tac for IDPA. For revolver I am still looking at which is best for me. Thanks, Eric

Limited - Ghost. If I had a regular kydex DOH, I'd consider using that instead. I don't think it really matters that much. I do like the adjustability of the Ghost for limited, though. When I get an open gun, I'll use the same rig.

I use a Comp-Tac belt holster in Production and sometimes IDPA.

I use a Bladetech in Single Stack. I think the Comp-Tac is a little nicer, but it's not worth switching (I've had this holster for 5+ years).

I put "other" in Production, only because it wouldn't let me vote only in Open/Lim. I don't shoot Production.

I use the CR with my Open gun, and an old Safariland 011 when I shoot Limited. If I happen to shoot a Glock (Open or Lim) I use a Hogue PowerSpeed.

I had tried both the Limcat and pinned Ghost. Neither worked well with a steel-framed gun. Both would tend to "grab" if you didn't draw the gun just right. Neither seemed to have this problem if using a gun with a plastic trigger guard like an STI/SV or a Glock.

I use a Bladetech DOH holster for limited and Comp-tac belt or locking paddle for production and IDPA. I like both setups, but for pure speed, I prefer the bladetech because of the DOH attachment. I really love the quality and durability of comp-tac's products. If they made a dropped-offset holster, I would drop the Bladetech like a hot potato.

I used to think it might benefit me to use the Comp-tac belt holster all the time for draw stroke consistency. As far as I can tell, if I practice with them both I switch back and forth seamlessly.

I like the Ghost since I can switch back and forth between lim and open seamlessly and I don't have to look at it to holster which is nice for dry fire. It's secure when it's locked though you do have to get used to it and remember to lock it or you run the risk of dropping a gun.

I used a Ghost in the past for my Open gun with good results but shifted to a DAA a couple of months ago specifically for this reason. The DAA is much more secure and I like the fact that I can just change inserts if I ever change brands.

The Bladetech DOH is what I use for both Production and L-10. IMHO, it is far and away the best option out there for non Open guns. If I shot Limited, I would use it as well.

I currently use a Blade-Tec DOH for Limited, L-10, and Production. I use a early Blade-Tec for SS. Recently came into possession of a Speed-sec and haven't used it enough to try it in a match yet. Like the idea just have used the Blade-Tecs for years after moving away from Safariland. Tried the CR and like the Blade-Tecs better.

I like the CR speed for Limited because I use the back of the holster as a guide for my hand to scoop the pistol out of the holster.

For production I use a Uncle Mikes kydex for my Glock, it has the option of dropping it a little and it's canted out some. :cheers:

I use a CR Speed. As a lefty, it was the only thing in stock at the time. One thing about it, I will never accidentally unlock it. In 2 1/2 years I have never "dropped" my open gun. I lock the holster at the end of a stage and don't unlock it until "Make Ready". Yes, you can draw through the lock, never needed too.

Limited - ghost

Production - ready tactical drop/offset

The bladetech doh jammed my thumb or I had to change how I engaged the pistol in the holster. I modified it a bit but it still wasn't good. The ready tactical is perfect.