Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What competition holster do you use and why?

GrumpyOne

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen a few folks with Production rigs pushed out to the max with long bolts.

Anyone have an directions/links as to how they do it?

I've seen it, just not trying to re-invent the wheel, my love handles would appreciate the input.

Hello: You can move Production holsters out by adding spacers and longer screws. I use automotive hose or washers for plumbing. I also use plastic spacers/rollers that you can get from Lowes. I have also used the rollers from Safariland 771 mag holders. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I use the Ghost for Limited, L-10 and Open. Primarily because it was the holster that was recommended to me when I started. Other than one dropped pistol during dry fire, it has been awesome. I like how it's very adjustable as well as extremely secure when locked. Oh, and it's fast too :cheers:

I recently tried a Bladetech DOH, when my Ghost was broken. The Bladetech just felt like it was in my way.

Thankfully the Ghost is up and running again thanks to awesome customer service, all the way from Italy :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I use a safari land holster now. Its good my only complain is that how it locks in. Its a turn nob and sometimes i need pliers to unscrew it. It is the older one too so i think it hangs to far off my hip would like to try something closer to my waist. Although I have had no problems with the holster just thinking about trying something different in the future.

CR Speed for Ltd - got a deal on it from a friend. Actually picked up a Safariland 013 from a prize table but prefered the simplicity of the CR Speed.

Safariland for Production - won it, it works, there ya go.

Blade Tech for me only. I tried the Limcat for a long time, the Ghost for a match, the CRSpeed (twice) and the Gugas.

I just don't see the point in them anymore. They don't protect the gun (as a MD, I'm forever fixing and shooting), they don't offer me any appreciable speed increase, and I prefer the aggressive draw I can get with the BT>

I switched from a BT DOH holster to a DAA Race Master holster and the Race Master is the first race holster i have ever used. It was not so much the draw speed out of the Race Master but how consistent my grip is on the gun coming out of the Race Master.(compaired to the DOH) My draw speed did drop by about .20 on average out of the Race Master, I don't think it makes much difference in a IPSC/USPSA match but in steel matches it is a big difference! .20 per draw X 4 draws(since in steel matches it is best of 4 runs) is .80 sec per stage @ 6 stages is 4.80 secs saved on the draw alone. YMMV

BK

Interesting..... how did your grip improve over the BT? I have found the exact opposite with the other race holsters I'd had, but haven't tried the DAA.

Can you elaborate a litte? .2 increase is a LOT>

Saul Kirsch has developed a new Double Alpha holster which is like none other. It's appearance represents a Ghost holster but it is far superior. It has a safety lock with a back up release. No more DNF stage because holster is dusty. This happened with my old Limcat. Also iit s all metal and does not block Velcro on belt. You will love this holster. All of the parts are fine machined in Europe. If you shoot a Euro match, you will see all of the top shooters using this holster.

MontyG

Safariland 5187 or DAA PDR for Production. Suede lined, smooth draw, no resistance. The DAA has the added benefit of a thumb screw for the retention, so tighten after COF, loosen prior to LAMR. The Safariland is also one of the few holsters availble for left handed G35 shooters.

CR Speed for Limited. Sometimes the Safariland 5187.

I just got the 013 up grade for my 012 and it fixes the problem of the gun falling out when you are picking brass or setting steel targets.

What is nice is that when the holster is locked you can not get it out till you move the slide for the lock. But if you should for get to release it before you shoot it is placed where you can sweep it of with your trigger finger on the draw. it could all so be used to hold the gun in if you have to move or set in a chair to start.

I own a Bladetech Ice for my 1911, and a Serpa(sans button) for Glocks in comp shooting. For CCW ( even though you aren't supposed to talk about that here... :unsure: ) I own a Bladetech IWB and a Stealth Defense holster. I like all of these, but for strict competition, I'm curious in trying a CR speed holster or a nice dropped and offset holster.

I have a blackhawk non serpa lock CQC from Blckhawk for my Glock, it positions my pistol in a very good position for me (personally)for my draw stroke, and it was $29 from Midway

I found this holster by borrowing someone els'e rig after a match just to try a glock again

It is a smoother softer plastic than alot of the stuff out there and seems to be slightly less abrasive than the cheapest p[lastics used (I would classify a $29 holster as being made of cheap plastic

I have a cheap 5.11/blade tech for my Beretta Elite holster options for this gun are [pretty limited.

I have had comp tacs for my XDs and 1911s and think they are fanstasic and well wotrth the mmoney

Just switched from a CR Speed to a DAA Racemaster for Open/Limited; love the ability to have one rig for my two STI's. Bought the DAA based on the positive comments on this site. The holster is very quick yet secure once its locked. You'll give yourself a wedgie before you pull your gun out of the holster once you put the lock on. :roflol: The more I use the holster the more I like it.

I don't play in Production too much but when I do I'll use either duty or concealment gear.

Interesting..... how did your grip improve over the BT? I have found the exact opposite with the other race holsters I'd had, but haven't tried the DAA.

Can you elaborate a litte? .2 increase is a LOT>

Seth,

Since the Race Master Holster can be set up so the gun is further away from my body than the DOH and the angles can be adjusted so that my wrist doesn't have to break to grip the gun in the holster, I can get a solid grip(every time) on the gun before it comes out of the holster. With the DOH I could never get a consistent solid grip(hit and miss) on the gun while it is in the holster since it keeps the gun closer to my body. Hope this helps. I have used a BT DOH since I started this game and now that I have the Race Master I will never go back.

Edited by bkeeler

Saul Kirsch has developed a new Double Alpha holster which is like none other. It's appearance represents a Ghost holster but it is far superior. It has a safety lock with a back up release. No more DNF stage because holster is dusty. This happened with my old Limcat. Also iit s all metal and does not block Velcro on belt. You will love this holster. All of the parts are fine machined in Europe. If you shoot a Euro match, you will see all of the top shooters using this holster.

MontyG

Eric Grauffel wins 5th Consecutive European IPSC Championship "CR Speed"

Gabrielle Kraushoffer - EHC Ladies Open Division Champion "CR Speed"

CR Speed for open. I got a good deal on the whole setup! So far it has been great for me. I always lock the gun in-place until I'm ready to draw. I can run it with my real gun or airsoft with a simple adjustment to overall length.

MontyG

Eric Grauffel wins 5th Consecutive European IPSC Championship "CR Speed"

Gabrielle Kraushoffer - EHC Ladies Open Division Champion "CR Speed"

While the input is good, please, no rebuttals. This thread is for what you, the actual shooter runs. We don't want to get a into "Well, so and so runs that, so it must be better" type of thread.

Thank you!

MontyG

Monty, this thread is for what you use, not what someone else uses. I'm trying to keep this thread as neutral as possible, to gather first hand information on what gear people are using, and how it is working for them.

Edited by GrumpyOne

I am an odd one because I am using either a Blackhawk Serpa for Single Stack a home made Yaqui slide also for Single Stack. Like Duane, I use these for my daily carry options so I am most familiar with them.