Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

B initial classification - mixed feelings.

It's looking like my initial classificaton in limited is going to be a B.

On one hand, I'm happy about it. Happy that I have been able to pick up on the sport quickly and shoot well enough to earn a B to start.

On the other hand, I'm concerned that at major matches I may have trouble finishing near the top of limited B shooters.

I guess I could have sandbagged classifiers, but that's just not how I "roll".

I suppose I can look at it one of two ways:

1. I earned the B. Now it's time to man up and get good enough to beat the rest of the B's and eventually get an A card and then start it all over again.

2. Man, it sure would be easier to win top C than top B. I should have sandbagged!

I think we all know that #1 is the better outlook.

Sorry for the rant!

Edited by Pro2AInPA

I always thought the classification system should include standardized field course classifiers. Its much easier to score high on stand and deliver stages than a 32 round field course.

I think the current system over-classifies shooters.

if you can classify as a B, then you are a B. put in some hard work and smoke'em at majors. then, as you say, the hard work will pay off and you'll be an A and get to start it over again :goof:

i recently got my SS C card as my initial and the same goes for me, while I can usually beat most of the Ds i havent been able to top the C class yet. hard work and time shall prevail.

Look at the overall results in your division only... I'd rather be the lowest B than the highest C as long as I beat all the Cs. Regardless- I always see a very close correlation of the classifiers and the results of matches... ie. Most of the A shooters are above the B shooters, most of the B shooters are above the Cs, etc, etc.

If you just made B, shouldn't you in reality start at the bottom of B? Granted it is nice to win something but if you start off at the top of B, what would that mean? It seems to me it would mean you need to be an A. I don't think the classifiers "overclass" since everyone has to shoot them or place high enough in major matches to get moved up. If someone cheats err, I mean chooses to not classify to their full potential they are fooling themselves. It seems it would be a very hollow victory to me.

I say Congratulations on starting out so well!!!!! Now, get after it & earn that B that you have, then move on up & get out of my class. hahaha.

MLM

My initital classification was a B as well. It was a little disouraging at first, competing against all those "killer B's" - B class seemed the biggest, most competitive Division out there. Sandbagger trophy hunters galore. ;)

Once I made A, all of a sudden A was the most competitive Division out there, full of really good sandbaggers. Couldn't wait to get out of A.

Then, M ... all of a sudden I realized the field was even more fiercely competitive, if not somewhat smaller. But not a lot of sandbaggers. But now I find myself shooting for winning matches, not Classes, so suddenly the Class thing started to take a back seat.

I used the motivation of not liking my Class that much to train my way out of it, to the next one. Then I realized the grass isn't always greener, but at least you are making an honest stab at it, and not playing a percentage game trying to max out a certain bracket.

I guess the point is if that your main concern is whether you are going to be a really good B (or A, or M, etc) to be in line for some trophies, maybe you are focusing on the wrong thing. Focus on shooting the best that you can, in each match, each stage, every shot. The class thing will take care of itself. Match and / or Class wins will take care of themselves. Trophies and prizes.... if you are lucky enough to ride the Class ladder progression at the right pace, you will get plenty of both, and name recognition. If you jump up Classes faster than your Major matches attended, you end up being the best shooter no one has ever heard of, with hardly any trophies.

Pick your motivaton and go with it. If its trophies, plan your classifier "strategy" :huh: accordingly. If its getting better and progressing overall, train hard.

(btw, many major matches hand out the prize table stuff by order of finish, or raffle, and only trophies by class..... which would you rather have, better prizes or a plaque? But where the sandbaggers really shine is the matches that pay cash or guns to Class winners. That practice keeps the sandbagging tradition alive and well, IMHO.)

Edited by sfinney

Hello: Way to go :cheers: The goal that I have been using is to earn my classification and shoot the best I can. Are there Sandbaggers----yes there are. Just deal with it. I have seen some Master shooters shooting "B". If they want the wood that bad I say let them have it. In this sport I compare how I do against the best shooters. I try to come at least in the top 50% in a big match. It is a small goal but a goal none the less. I am a low "B" as well and hope to be an "A" in one division. Keep working at it and you will get there. Thanks, Eric

Congrats on making "B".

Don't worry about sandbaggers; it detracts from what you need to do to improve. When I started I had the same concerns about sandbaggers. A good buddy said, "if you beat them you don't have to worry about them".

Even if you initial classed c, you would bump to b anyway in a month or two. How many majors can you fit in a month? Work it out you'll be happier anyway. And definitely congrats

Edited by aztecdriver

I always thought the classification system should include standardized field course classifiers. Its much easier to score high on stand and deliver stages than a 32 round field course.

I think the current system over-classifies shooters.

I second that. I kinda like the bowling handicap system, in which one establishes an average (classification) by bowling regular league game. Please don't ask me how to apply this system efficiently to USPSA. I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Anyways, congrats for making B.

Edited by Team Amish 1

Congratulations! It took me a year to get to B, mainly due to hip surgery, not a whole lot of running in classifiers, but enough (-;

As I look at A, it seems a big jump but doable. Natural athleticism will get you to B. But A and above takes sport specific skill sets. I now have A and Master level skills, but B level consistency. Whether that ends up at A... probably depends on the classifiers that come up this year. Some suit me, others don't. Some of the Master level classifier scores seem outrageous, so A may be it for me (if I even get there).

On competition.... Every division except GM has "sandbaggers" but I frankly think it matters only in C. If you hone your game, make sure your gun and ammo works, and shoot 90% of what you can (ensuring consistency) you will nab them. They sandbag because they know they aren't consistent. You can control that and get them. I compete against myself using mini-goals. Like 50% of Max Michel, or zero no-shoots for a month of matches. Stuff to make it interesting, no matter where I'm placing overall.

Good luck!

Ken N.

It's already been said, but I would be really proud with an initial classification of "B". Most "B" shooters can shoot the pants of the average citizen (and cop). I started as a "C" and had been shooting pistols as a condition of my employment since 1992. I made "B" about a year later and had my first 75% classifier yesterday.

People like Steve Anderson are awesome, but (I think) they are the exception too. It takes a lot of dedication/practice and money to master this sport.

Congratulations on making "B". It's not easy to get there and it's not easy to get out :devil:

Good luck on making "A" and beyond :cheers:

It happened to me too. I felt pretty good about it, Until I found out how hard it was to get out of that pool. It was a direct reflection of work put in, but it took me almost 3 years to get out of B. One thing I noticed is the depth there is in B class, seems like there should be a B.5 or something. There are some average just barely B class guys on one end of that pool, and then the other end, they seem Like TGO reborn. I will never forget my first Area match as Local High B class shooter, I got the crap kicked out of me, by more then half of the other B's there. I have just begun swimming in the A ocean, so i dont know much about it yet, but it cant be as deep as B, Can it?

• 2 months later...

There are sandbaggers in this sport, that is the way it is. But there should be something done about a C class shooter that is always out shooting all A class and some master class shooters. Then just BARELY making C on classifiers.

Edited by usmc1974

There are sandbaggers in this sport, that is the way it is. But there should be something done about a C class shooter that is always out shooting all A class and some master class shooters. Then just BARELY making C on classifiers.

One thing I have noticed is that some shooters who don't shoot classifiers well are the same guys who shoot long field courses well due to better athletic ability, in that they run faster than the average guys and they don't tire as quickly so there shooting is better on longer stages. I don't believe that classifiers always tell the whole story of a shooter's abilities when compared to how they can perform on field courses.

One thing I have noticed is that some shooters who don't shoot classifiers well are the same guys who shoot long field courses well due to better athletic ability, in that they run faster than the average guys and they don't tire as quickly so there shooting is better on longer stages. I don't believe that classifiers always tell the whole story of a shooter's abilities when compared to how they can perform on field courses.

I guess that is a good excuse as any. I am not buying it but, that is just my two cents.

I classed into C. I would be thrilled to class at B. At my age I'll be shocked if I ever make it to the top of B, we'll have to see.

But would you really like to be in C when you know you are a B class shooter? I doubt that you would get much satisfaction out of beating the C class guys match after match when you know you are SUPPOSED to be beating them. If you aren't honest with yourself, you're cheating yourself. That's how I look at it.

I was a C forever. Basically skipped right over B in about a year, now I'm an A(barely) in open and probably won't win anything for a long time. I think I could make master and GM with some additional work, but I'd like to win some majors or at least place in the top 3 in my class first. Make that your goal and it will work itself out.

Classes are grading on a curve, but it makes a good marketing tool because it creates more "winners" from of non winning performances.

Some people put a lot of effort into staying in a class that makes them look good.

I think people are better served to look for improvement and forget about class finishes.