Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many of you have had your ammo weighed by the airlines?

I know the usual is 11# for most airlines with a few exceptions.

I have asked a few people that travel to shooting comps, and the one that bring their own ammo, only one has told that an airline employee weighed their ammo. This was on SW.

So how many of you have had your ammo wieghed?

Had ammo weighed by United on the return trip back from Vegas after the Nationals in 2010 or 2011. Wanted to laugh when the clerk wanted to weigh my two 50 rnd boxes of .40. I think she did it to be a beyotch cause she apparently wasn't familiar with firearm check in procedures or did not listen very well to me explain that I was checking in a handgun which was in the suitcase. The bag with the gun in it on the conveyor belt before it was inspected. When I talk to those people I am very patient, speak clearly so that my 6 year old can understand and don't give them a hard time so that I don't get cavity searched, luggage end up in Guam or run over by a truck or better yet turn up missing.

I fly mostly Hawaiian Air to the CONUS and have had my guns and ammo inspected a bunch of times but not weighed. Seems like its luck of the draw when you check in, some clerks go through the motions when checking in guns and ammo and others go overboard. TSA is another issue, some guys know there shit and everything goes smoothly, other times they'll half ass stuff and make you almost miss your flight. Luck of the draw again.

Haven't had it weighed, I think every time it was United. I make sure it doesn't rattle, which seems to be somewhat important. Once split 500 rounds between my wife's and my own suitcase, no problems or questions there, either. All in all, traveling with a gun and ammo is a lot less cumbersome than I initially thought.

Only once. A couple of friends and I were headed to state championships. He put all his ammo in a quad pistol case. Since it was "convenient", the gate agent weighed it. He was over. I offered space in my bag, She then weighed my ammo to make sure that I didn't go over.

Several time over the past few years, Not worth taking the chance and not having enough for the match.

Number of rnds of 38 super in 11 pounds. DO THE MATH!

about 195 grains per loaded bullet, 7000 grains per pound, then about 397 rnds for 11 pounds without the case.

• 3 weeks later...

When I fly with my competition gear I usually bring 500 rounds of .40 ammo which is more than 11lbs of ammo. I have two checked bags. The first "Bag" is actually a big plastic tub/box where all my shooting gear, gun, and 250 rounds of ammo is. This is the "Bag" that I declare the gun on. The other checked bag is my clothes and another 250 rounds of ammo. Each 250 round bundle of .40 ammo is well under the 11lb limit so they never give me a hard time about it. When I check in, my clothes bag goes right on the belt and my Gun bag goes over to TSA for inspection. I am yet to have any airline combine both of my bags and complain about having a "Combined" total of ammo weight of more than 11lbs.

But I also want to point out that I am only flying out of Denver International Airport and only have a combined total of ammo greater than 11lbs on the outgoing trip. Every airport has slightly different TSA policies with regards to ammo and guns. One thing to keep in mind is that the only thing you have to declare is the Gun, not the ammo. If you look at all of the airline regulations their policies state that you can't travel with more than 11lbs of ammo, but none of the policies state that you have to declare the ammo. So when you check in the only thing you should have to say is "I need to declare a firearm". Then fill out a declaration form and go through whatever screening process the airport uses. The less you say the better off you are. Answer questions with short and simple answers. Be polite and if the person checking you in does not know what they are doing or talking about, don't try to argue with them. Politely ask for a supervisor to assist with the situation. It is surprising to me, but there are many people who work at the check in counter that have ZERO clue of how to handle a firearms declaration situation.

Happy travels and I hope this helps.

I'm new to flying to a match,only twice in a year.Flew to Phoenix both times,1st time on SW and going out of Nashville ,no trouble,returning out of Phoenix back,went thru TSA check and he took all the things out of the bag and took a wand to it,then put everything back.2nd time was out of Huntsville Al,and beat the TSA agents to work so they didn't check anything,but the ticket lady did question about the ammo,which was in a locked box,she was questioning how it was packed ,told her in plastic boxes inside the box.

Returning out of Phoenix,lady asked about ammo and how much I had and how it was packed told her the same thing and she asked is that legal and I just answered yes and that was it..that was on Delta..

I've flown to a grand total of one match. My ammo was inspected three times, and weighed one of those. I like Cha-Lee's idea.

Not all airlines have an 11 pound limit. Alaska Airlines is one that has a 50 pound limit. It pays to check around.

• 3 weeks later...

Traveling on Delta, out of Atlanta, I've never had my ammo weighed soley, however my checked bag the ammo's in , is weighed EVERY time. I can only get 200 rds of .45 before I exceed 11#.

A word of caution, Delta LOVES charging for overweight bags..!!! I was 2# over the limit(40#) and they nailed me for an additional $125.

Edited by The Happy Gila