Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA rules and why you don't like them

GARD72977

I hear a lot of people that complain about all the rules. Most of the time the same people can't follow them. I will admit when you can reload is a little fuzzy.

Even with all the terrible scars from IDPA shooting I'm much faster and can think while I'm running the gun. I would rather have the skill set that I have now to defend myself than before I started IDPA.

We all compete with the same rules. If people would stop complaining and practice they would be better off.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one rule I do not fully understand and dislike quite a bit is that you cannot drop a mag with bullets in it. I think an alternative is to put an upper limit on the number of magazines you can carry and let people drop mags whenever they want. This way, it is clearly different than USPSA and still makes sense.

I hear a lot of people that complain about all the rules. Most of the time the same people can't follow them. I will admit when you can reload is a little fuzzy.

Even with all the terrible scars from IDPA shooting I'm much faster and can think while I'm running the gun. I would rather have the skill set that I have now to defend myself than before I started IDPA.

We all compete with the same rules. If people would stop complaining and practice they would be better off.

Hopefully you don't depend on IDPA matches to learn how to defend yourself. In the real world you don't have RO's or stage setters telling you where to go or when to shoot. My suggestion would be to talk to folks that have lived it. Been there and done it.

So my biggest complaint about the rules would be " Telling me how to shoot a stage. ". My problem, I'll solve it.

Hopefully you don't depend on IDPA matches to learn how to defend yourself. In the real world you don't have RO's or stage setters telling you where to go or when to shoot. My suggestion would be to talk to folks that have lived it. Been there and done it.

So my biggest complaint about the rules would be " Telling me how to shoot a stage. ". My problem, I'll solve it.

"Engage targets as they become visible from within the shooting area" is the only WSB I need (and scoring method and start position of course) :cheers:

I hate the rules because they are based on obsolete 1990's level tactic. Basically IDPA has become 1990's SASS. For example the reload issue. Tactical reloads are seldom taught and when they are they are almost never prioritized like in IDPA. Frankly juggling your mags in a gun fight will get you killed. Also basically forcing people to shoot to slide lock is also stupid. Run dry reloads are an emergency reload and should be avoided if possible by doing a simple speed load. The whole only reloading behind cover is also stupid. Slicing the pie is a great concept but in IDPA it basically be comes hug cover and play jack int he box as you shoot from the outside to the inside. IE its not tactical at all but pretends to be. You are far better off just shooting in USPSA and gaining good weapon skills. Leave the tactics to training and when your in a match shoot for fun and to measure your pure shooting skills. You can put good tactics on a timer.

Pat

there are rules for how many magazines or loading devises you can carry on you. 8.1.4 thru 8.1.4.4.. In real life, I will carry 2 mags that hold 17 rounds of 9mm or 2 moon clips that hold 8 rounds, 1 in the gun, 1 in the pocket.

What is stupid is that you are limited to 10 rounds in a magazine if you live in a state that does not have restrictions. If you live in a county or state that has a magazine limit, then that is what the local IDPA clubs should be limited too, all the rest of use should be able to top off the mags to full capacity.

What really ticks me off is that I can't use my every day, real life 8-shot revo.

It's real hard to take IDPA serious, when they live in fantasy land

Edited by JohnRodriguez

IDPA is defensive shooting so the stages are set up to test defensive skills. You don't get beat because the rules are stupid. You loose because your skill set is lower than the guys that that beat you.

10rd limit is not a problem. This is a test of your skills. If you want to look good in front of your friends then practice .

The COF is set so your skills can be tested against others. Look at this as advanced drills.

Restricted Content

Politics

Policy and political discussions or debates of any kind - even if you consider your opinions to be "facts" - are not welcome anywhere in the forum.

Specifically including (but not limited to):

USPSA vs IPSC

IPSC vs IDPA

STI vs SVI

Limited 10 vs Limited Division

This Division vs That Division

This Government vs That Government

Gun Control Issues

This is not a free speech issue. As a privately funded and collectively ran "information exchange," we have found that the emotional nature of political discussions weakens the informative impact of the Forum.

And note that your post, avatar, and anything in your signature represent you, and your relationship with the Forum's Guidelines.

I'm ok with your opinions on why you don't like IDPA rules...but don't let this turn into a USPSA VS IDPA topic or it will get closed.

The rules are just the rules, it's no different than any other timed and scored game, even local non-sanctioned matches have rules. But it's the subjective interpretation of the rules that's a problem. I started an IDPA club in March 98, and it was mainly made up of ex-ISPC and current USPSA guys looking for a different game to play. Nobody argued about the rules, even if you thought the reloads were weird, we just played the game. Seems to me that today there are a bunch of shooters in IDPA that have no previous competition background but are going to tell you how to shoot a stage because they went thru FrontSite 17 times. We call them "Tactical Plumbers" Gun fighting instructors on the weekend, plumbers during the rest of the week.

I went back and leafed through a 1997 rule book... I joined that year; and I see very little difference in how I approach the sport.

Not zero, they cost me a good bit of money reneging on the 5" revolver, I argued a lot over the absurdity of the "round dumping" penalty in a Vickers Count stage, and the standing reload rule was just nasty, glad they repealed that one.

But I SHOOT about the same as ever. I think the proliferation of rules is directed at the wise guys who think they are smarter than the MD.

Isn't there a rule says max round count in a stage is 18? If so, what is the point of limiting number of mags when the rules also force you to shoot to slide lock...

Among the three, 1- limit number of mags, 2- you can only drop mags when slide lock and 3- max round count for a stage is 18, I think only 2 (#1 and #3) would be sufficient to make a big difference from IPSC/USPSA. #2 seems an overkill.

-they change too frequently

-they change for a reason not clearly articulated and defended

-tribal interpretation

-tribal implementation

-high degree of subjectivity in penalty calls

-disconnect between competition and ccw over ideas, perceptions, goals

-a majority of the BUG section

Charles D, IDPA was started by individuals who have been there and done that! They tried to start an organized shooting discipline based on their experiences. They were/are highly qualified trainers and trainers of trainers. The only difference between 90's tactics and todays tactics is the emphasis on the black rifle which is more in keeping with 3 gun. I dislike not being able to load to mag capacity but that wasn't a tactics rule it was a high cap mag availability rule. As far as how much ammo you can carry, think about real life. How much do you carry concealed. I could go on but.....

Remember, it's still a game. Use it for what it is and take from it what you will.

Richard

One more thing I hate is that IDPA does not seem to listen to its members like other sports do. In USPSA or Three gun if enough people want a new division or something to happen it usually happens. Not so much with IDPA. For example the new USPA production optics would be a perfect division for IDPA.

pat

I feel like the equipment rules have been slow to align with the pistol manufacturers latest offerings and/or individual shooter preferences.

One rule I would like to see changed is in SSP and allowing slide milling but only for modifying sight dovetails to allow mounting a different notch/post style sight. Been a lot of controversy with this one.