Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accidents and kids

Jack Suber

My neighbor's 17 year old son was shot by accident this afternoon. He was "target practicing" with his friend on their property in the country and was accidentally shot in the back of the head. He is in critical condition and not expected to make it. I am not sure of the details of what happened. Please pray for this family.

Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE teach you kids proper firearms safety. I know I am preaching to the choir with our IPSC family. I am thankful that my son has been involved in this sport and has been exposed to the safety we demand.

This just makes me sick.....

My condolences to the families,

In addition to safety teach the intestinal fortitude to not accept unsafe actions from others, do something about it or leave. Too often the kid that knows the safety rules is injured by someone that doesnt.

My condolences to the families,

In addition to safety teach the intestinal fortitude to not accept unsafe actions from others, do something about it or leave. Too often the kid that knows the safety rules is injured by someone that doesnt.

I am in no way placing any blame on the victim here and my prayers go out to the family. The shooting community does a great job of teaching the four safety rules, but we must also emphasize the courage to intervene and stop unsafe acts by others. Perhaps we need a fifth rule to cover these situations.

Apparently, Luke was with his friend in the country. They were shooting .22 rifles at squirrels or target. That is not clear yet. But Lukes friend was looking through the scope getting ready to shoot when Luke stepped in front of him...right as he broke the shot. The shot hit him in the back of the head. The round entered his skull and satyed there. His friend called 911 but since it was his property, he did not know where he was or hiow to tell EMS where to find him. He called Luke's Mom who is a nurse. she managed to get to them and call a rescue squad. They had to get a 4Wheeler to get him out and then airlift him to the hospitol. Too much time had passed.

Its terrible how quickly a tragedy like this can happen. Apparentl the boy who shot him is not doing well either.

My condolences to both families, with prayers for all.

I will, we all must ensure our childern, sposes, friends, and anyone we come in contact with follow gun saftey.

Hopefully my kids will learn somthing from this when I print and show it to them.

John

Prayers for both families sent. My heart goes out to them.

Hurley

Unbelievable. I can barely believe this. I am a 12 year old junior shooter and take EXTRA saftey precautions. This is why I think is is VITAL to not only teach gun saftey but to enforce it. Hearing these types of stories really reminds me to never lose focus when I am around guns. I cannot even imagine what the boy and the family are going through right now. It is a very tough tragedy for them right now. We can only give prayers to them right now. But, this is also a good lesson for everyone.

Jason

Prayers for both families sent. My heart goes out to them.

Hurley

Unbelievable. I can barely believe this. I am a 12 year old junior shooter and take EXTRA saftey precautions. This is why I think is is VITAL to not only teach gun saftey but to enforce it. Hearing these types of stories really reminds me to never lose focus when I am around guns. I cannot even imagine what the boy and the family are going through right now. It is a very tough tragedy for them right now. We can only give prayers to them right now. But, this is also a good lesson for everyone.

Jason

Jason, thanks for reminding us -bold emphasis mine- that never losing focus when around guns is a big part of safety, and that enforcing the rules is a shared responsibility. As you've no doubt noticed, in some informal group settings, some adults make mistakes and others are reluctant to speak out.

Two years ago, at an informal non-IPSC rifle field comp, I momentarily lost focus and situational awareness....and swept 3 friends with my unloaded but still warm rifle. I will spare myself the embarassing details of this screw-up, but tell you that the memory surfaces like a searing flash everytime I unpack a firearm.

I totally agree with you Jason - we can never lose focus when around guns. Young men like you can help us older guys change the culture of silence, so that it becomes normal to remind our friends/buddies when they make the oversights that come with familiarity. It is easier to admonish a stranger than to remind a friend.

In a non-square range field environment, making a habit of doing a quick safety assessment/discussion re: arcs of fire, where to stand by, when to move and where to, appropriate firearm/ammo ready-states, etc. would add to overall safety. Kinda like what hunters do before they head out.

Gotta end by saying that the most disciplined and safest community I have ever shot with are the Metallic Silhouette bunch, and of course, practical HG competitors. Our MDs, CROs, ROs and SOs also deserve our thanks for the time and effort they put into building safety into every stage design, and the difficult work they do when running the squads through.

Wow. That is so sad. I will keep praying for the families. Very sobering reminder of how every second near a firearm requires a sharp focus on safety.

My 9-year-old is getting into the sport and becoming a very safe and good shooter. I am extremely proud of him, but very hard on him at our range. Even when it is the 2 of us, I will DQ him for the day if anything happens. Recently, on his first practice stage, he brought the gun to the 180 during a reload and I stopped him and he was done for the day after another safety briefing. Later that day, he thanked me. I hope that these lessons are ingrained for life.

Wow. That is so sad. I will keep praying for the families. Very sobering reminder of how every second near a firearm requires a sharp focus on safety.

My 9-year-old is getting into the sport and becoming a very safe and good shooter. I am extremely proud of him, but very hard on him at our range. Even when it is the 2 of us, I will DQ him for the day if anything happens. Recently, on his first practice stage, he brought the gun to the 180 during a reload and I stopped him and he was done for the day after another safety briefing. Later that day, he thanked me. I hope that these lessons are ingrained for life.

fayette, the lessons are ingrained for life so long as they're reviewed from time to time.

Doing so would foster a gun culture where safety is given more than lip-service. We need to learn that it's ok to call our friends/buddies on their safety lapses.

Industry -mining, forestry, manufacturing- spend time and money periodically reminding all employees -new and old- to think and act safely. It's better for the bottom line that way. Shooters ought to adopt similar habits.

Tragedies like this make me stop and think how lucky I was to have grown up shooting with the people I did. They were total nuts about safety, and now I too am. It is vital to teach communication too when teaching range safety. You need to get eye contact and secure things before going down range. Even shooting in the desert as kids, there was always a "firing line." To go "downrange" one had to get all others to cease firing, and lock open their actions.

Prayers sent to the families of both boys.