Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you force yourself to dry fire?

Cy Soto

When it comes to making time to practice dry fire, I am the king of procrastination and making up excuses! I know that without this crucial method of practice I will never make it past "B". So how do you folks tell yourself: "Turn off the TV, get up from that couch and march your butt down to the basement... Now, Embrace the Suck!**"

** Shamelessly stolen from SA Friday's signature line: Dry Firing and Practicing Sucks. Embrace the Suck.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to making time to practice dry fire, I am the king of procrastination and making up excuses! I know that without this crucial method of practice I will never make it past "B". So how do you folks tell yourself: "Turn off the TV, get up from that couch and march your butt down to the basement... Now, Embrace the Suck!**"

** Shamelessly stolen from SA Friday's signature line: Dry Firing and Practicing Sucks. Embrace the Suck.

Looking at my last match results helps. I'd like to look for my name at match results starting at the top of the list and going down instead of a bottom to top approach. Practice, Practice, Practice over the winter.

Come up with a schedule that works for you and stick to it. Changing up your dry fire routine is also a big help, don't keep practicing the same way every time. Also, don't overdue it. I find if I keep my routine short it is less of a chore. Of course I'm a lowley "C" shooter so every little bit helps. Oh, and I have a TV in the basement.. :roflol:

I have a time that is set in stone 8:00pm I either dry fire or lift weights. The wife has gotten use to it so there is very little static anymore, every once in a while she will even remind me it is 8:00.

I also found the range diary here helpful. When you know people are watching what you do it helps keep you motivated. (reminds me I need to get back to writing mine)

I dry fire while watching TV, but the cabinet the TV sits on has 5 knobs straight across like a plate rack, spaced 14" apart like a plate rack, its a lot like working out, its really not so bad once you get started, its just the getting started thats tough.

trapr

I will be the devils advocate........... I don't dry fire because it sucks :ph34r:

But do you live fire more than twice a week?

...its really not so bad once you get started, its just the getting started thats tough.

Amen Brother... AMEN!!

Cy Soto> Yes, I live fire either matches or practice 2+ times a week. But even then, how many draws & reloads do you really do in a live fire situation, especially during a match?

I am not saying that Dry Fire isn't needed or that you can't benefit from doing it. You can.

I am just trying to point out that I don't do ANY dry fire practice and it isn't crippling my match performance or slowing down my climb in classification.

I do know that if a company made a blow back Airsoft in an EAA Witness Limited model, I would be a lot more inclined to dry fire practice because it would be a lot more like live fire practice. But no one makes a gas blow back airsoft pistol in my gun make and model.

Shooting something onto a target and exposing yourself to a slide cycle will always more interesting and fun than pulling the trigger on an empty chamber where you just imagine where your hits go. Maybe look into getting an Airsoft gun for Dry Fire practice to make it more exciting to do?

I have a time that is set in stone 8:00pm I either dry fire or lift weights.

I like your idea the most Dan. Thanks for the great idea.

I'm going to work on some dryfire drills over the winter ...... work on cutting out wasted motions, do some mental and physical conditioning, and next year I plan on beating some of those GM's we are always watching with such amazement. :) (it can be done - they are human just like you and me)

Edited by Chris Keen

Steve Anderson talks about in his book, and in conversations with me, about pay value both short and long term. How important is it for you to improve your shooting skills? What is the pay value for becoming a better shooter? Track your progress in the short term in regards to club matches and personal time trials at the range...and in the long term with State, Area, and Nationals results.

A great book that I would recommend to you (and Brian sells) is With Winning In Mind by Lanny Bassham. It will help you to set goals and keep them.

Embracing the suck is all about self motivation. Pay no heed to the freak, big panda, who came to the game with way above average hand-eye coordination. We average humans have to pay our dues or not get where we want to be.

I hated getting beat by Lizard. I love the guy, but my ego just couldn't take it. Then it was the next guy on the ladder. Then the next guy. You see shooters climbing the ladder, you see shooters that want to beat someone.

Cy,

When I wanted to lose weight, I would watch nothing but cycling and UFC on the TV. I would carry my jump rope everywhere I went, and steal away to hike or run when I could. I would only eat half of whatever I wanted. In turn I lost weight without alot of grinding away, just a "light" commitment. This last while, I have been watching PB, Rocket2011, Chris Keen, and Ben Stoeger videos whenever I am at the computer. It has made me get excited about dryfire.

Think about how your draws, transitions, reloads, and movement are. Are they where you want them to be? Focus about that all the time when you are just sitting around doing other things, like being on this stupid computer.

That's right. I'm going out to dryfire right now......

JZ

Being an early riser, I dryfire in the mornings with a cup of coffee. I'm only good for about 15-20 minutes a day but I figure with component prices going up it's time well invested. I feel guilty now when I don't dryfire.