Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sunscreen

CSEMARTIN

I came back from the Indiana Sectional with a pretty bad sunburn. I know I'm supposed to use it, but I hate the smell of most all sunblocks. I also hate the greasiness left on your hands.

Anyway, I tried my wife's sunblock today, and I like it. There is no greasy or oily feeling on your hands and it is odorless.

http://www.theraponproducts.com/Therapon_P...n_Sunblock.aspx

I realize that this post is a tinge on the feminine side so please feel free make fun of me. I would if it were you posting this.

Boy! Where to take this thread? :devil: I had better just let it go! :cheers:

By the way I keep sunscreen in my range bag. I usually put it on before heading to the match, so I can wash my hands and get it off of them. I have let several people use some during matches.

Randy

SPF 70 in the gun bag. I'll replace it with something 'stronger' once this bottle runs out. I've been known to pass it around the squad pretty liberally. Nothing that makes the day-after-the-match-day-before more regrettable than sunburn.

$25 for sunblock is, IMO, outrageous; especially for only SPF 30. :surprise:

I grew up on an Island so wearing sunblock was (and still is) part of my daily routine before leaving the home. When it comes to sunscreen, I have tried every product under the sun (some pun intended) and, so far, the one I like best is Banana Boat Oil Free Spray (SPF 85). It is easy to apply, non-greasy, and best of all, affordable.

Continuous spray.

Coppertone sport SPF 70.

They also sell it as a rub on stick.

I like the Coppertone spray too. My mom won't buy it for me any more because it stains white t-shirts (FYI). Bummer.

I hate sun burn too. Today I went shooting, mowed the lawn, and went fishing. No sunscreen. Lets just say I'm never going to even think about wearing flip-flops outside that long again. My feet are killing me...

I thought primers were expensive - $25 for a little bottle of sunscreen?!?! I just get the waterbabies from Costco or Coppertone from Target. What I really like is the aerosol coppertone for reapplication during the match.

~Mitch

Hello: Here is a tip for using sunscreen. Apply it the night before the match then again in the mourning before the match. It will last alot longer and will work all day. Any of the good quaility sunscreens will work great. Also a hat that covers your ears is a good thing to use. They make some hand wipes that have hand cleaner built into the towel such as the fast orange etc. Those with light skin tone should use sunscreen alot since the rest of us don't like seeing that bright red skin, it throws off the rest of use when we are shooting :roflol: You know who you are. Thanks, Eric

the one I like best is Banana Boat Oil Free Spray (SPF 85).

I agree. $25 bucks is a little pricey. My wife won it along with a bunch of other products from therapon.

Cy, where can you get banana boat oil? I'll give that a try.

I don't like the greasy types either and found that there are some alcohol based "Gel" sunscreens out there that dry on the skin without leaving the greasy feeling behind. I also see them listed as "sports gel" sometimes. I have been using a version made by PreSun.

Neal in AZ

My favorite at the moment is the Bullfrog pump sprays-- not greasy, easy to apply and allowed on planes. Some people hate the smell though. Any of the other sprays are a close second for match use. Liquid goop only as a last resort.

I hate using sunscreen, but I fry without it. Because I especially hate getting it on my hands right before shooting, I like the spray on Coppertone for my arms, legs, etc.

For my face, I really like this stuff:

Ocean Potion Dab-On Sunscreen

It is not greasy, is applied without getting on my hands, is SPF 50, and it doesn't cost a fortune.

Just apply your sunblock before leaving for the match, rather than at the range, and any greasiness will be gone by the time you get there. I've been using the Banana Boat stuff, mainly because it's cheap, and it doesn't have much odor, at least not to my nose.

A 4th vote for Bullfrog here! I use the spray but I've used the pump too, it's the same stuff either way, just a different bottle. It works well and stays on through some serious sweating and abuse. It's the best "feeling" sunscreen I've used -- I almost don't feel like I even have any on.

Oh, and I'm a natural redhead. I have lots of experience with sunscreen :)

I've found that these companies play with the names a lot so you have to be careful what you pick up off the shelf. I burn easy and have to watch myself carefully in the sun. What I am currently using is Coppertone Sport Continuous Spray Ultra Sweatproof Clear 30SPF (quite a mouth full but there is also a Coppertone Sport Continuous Spray Ultra Sweatproof Lotion 30SPF that I don't like).

A lady friend gave me some Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch, that comes out of the tube like a thick lotion but drys very fast. She advised that I put it on before leaving the house and carry the Coppertone for an afternoon touch-up. If this crappy weather EVER ends, I might actually have a chance for a field test.

I can't stand regular oil based sunscreen. I actually refuse to use it because of a bad experience with it one time. This is the stuff I use now and it works great.

http://www.coppertone.com/coppertone/produ..._sp_30spray.jsp

I spray it on and don't rub it in. It dries in about 1 minute and works great. I'm pretty pale skinned and this keeps me protected for about half a day. I just re-apply at lunch time and I'm good to go. It's nice because you don't have to rub it in and then go wash it off your hands.