Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sunscreen

CSEMARTIN

Sunscreen is nothing to bargain shop for. We have $125 magazines by the handful but gripe about the cost of our healthcare. I think it's human nature. I tell my patients that the best bottle of sunscreen costs less than one copay for a chemotherapy treatment - I'm sure they think it's mean too but I get my point across.

Get a good sunscreen. Neutrogena Helioplex is a good product. The best for the money probably. From one of my independent (no advertising) journals: "Neutrogena's Helioplex combines the UVA filter avobenzone with the UVA/UVB filter oxybenzone. Avobenzone is more stable when combined with oxybenzone...and the combo provides broader coverage." Keep in mind that the FDA allows manufacturers to claim UVA protection even if the coverage is poor at best - it has to do with wavelengths of the light. And also remember that most UVA filters start to break down immediately in the sun - go figure.

UVA penetrates the skin much deeper and can lead to cancer, wrinkles, and photosensitivity. Drug related photosensitivity is from UVA.

Don't use bug spray/sunscreen combos either. Sunscreens need to be applied more often and may increase the absorption of the DEET - a bad thing.

I use the Neutrogena. Before I leave for the match, I apply 1/2 teaspoon to face and neck, 1/2 teaspoon to each arm, and 1 teaspoon to each leg if appropriate. I reapply every 2 - 3 hours if necessary. I keep Bullfrog Quik Gel in the bag if I forget and can't wash my hands after I apply the Neutrogena but baby wipes work well for that.

Anyway, more than you wanted to know but don't get cheap on your health or that of your children.

Be Safe

Coppertone sport continuous spray, or the neutragena cooling spray sunscreen.

Both work. Both go on easy. Both have absolutely no oily feeling. Neither are cheap, but you can currently get the neutragena in 2-packs at costco for a decent price.

I ahve the banana boat spray, and it is so oily that it will actually separate. Don't like it one bit.

I realize that this post is a tinge on the feminine side so please feel free make fun of me. I would if it were you posting this.

I won't make fun of anyone avoiding the sun burns.

Jan of '08 I had part of the skin on my nose chopped out and some reconstructive skin work done due to basal-cell skin cancer. I'm only 31 so I expect to have to go through it all again at some point.

I now slather on the sun screen and wear a wide-brimmed "boony" style hat on match day when I am out in the sun (and for things like mowing the yard). This helps keep the sun off my nose/ears/neck. I put a regular ball cap on when actively shooting.

I've spent a lot of time through-out my life doing various outdoor activities. Fun sometimes has it's price. So I do what I can to avoid further damage (but still want to shoot!). I come home smelling of the special match-day cocktail of sun screen, bug spray, and sweat! What a treat for the wife!

-rvb

I have sensitive skin and I have to be careful of what products I use from shampoo to sunscreen. And I cannot tolerate added fragrances.

It is my understanding that a SPF above 30 offers minimal additional protection. However, a higher SPF means you may not have to reapply as often.

Get a good sunscreen. Neutrogena Helioplex is a good product. The best for the money probably. From one of my independent (no advertising) journals: "Neutrogena's Helioplex combines the UVA filter avobenzone with the UVA/UVB filter oxybenzone. Avobenzone is more stable when combined with oxybenzone...and the combo provides broader coverage."

My research also indicates that the Neutrogena Helioplex is one of the best sunscreens available but I cannot tolerate the fragrance.

I have had good results with Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock, SPF 30. It does leave a white shade to your skin but holds up well to sweat and provides protection without having to reapply during a match. No fragrance and it is relatively inexpensive.

Neutrogena has just come out with a new product, Neutrogena Sensitive Skin 60+ SPF Sunblock Lotion with PureScreen that I plan on trying.

I use many products made by Pharmaceutical Specialties, Inc. Great products without irritants or fragrances. I just tried their Vanicream Sunscreen For Sensitive Skin SPF 60 during a match last Sunday. It worked well and lasted for the entire match without having to reapply, but it is way too greasy. By the end of the match I was coated with a film of sunscreen, sweat and dust. I have some of their Vanicream Sunscreen SPF 35 Sport that I'm going to try next.

I also apply sunscreen before I leave home for a match and touch up my face and arms before the start of the match.

For skin care products, the Derm Store has good prices and free shipping. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

FYI, the aerosol sunscreens (not pump bottle) contain alcohol and can dry your skin.

Rick

Has anyone found a brand that won't stain your shirt?

Yonka from VIPSalon on the net. The yellow tube. Great for people with allergies. I also use Coppertone Sport. Carry some rubbing alcohol for your hands and clean them often.

I get all my sunscreen for free and it's somthing diffarent everytime. So to say the least I have tried a lot. Some hurts my eyes when I sweat and a lot of the sprays need to be used outside becsuese they leave the ktichen floor very slick. I just put on a lot at home befor the match and wash my hands because I hate that stuff between my fingers. I like the Neutrogena's the best, except the "Neutrogena Fresh Cooling Body Mist" burns my eyes. I keep a small bottle in my range bag but have not had to use it. I have fair skin and some red hair and I really don't notice any diffarance one your past the 35 SPF.

I have sensitive skin and I have to be careful of what products I use from shampoo to sunscreen. And I cannot tolerate added fragrances.

It is my understanding that a SPF above 30 offers minimal additional protection. However, a higher SPF means you may not have to reapply as often.

Get a good sunscreen. Neutrogena Helioplex is a good product. The best for the money probably. From one of my independent (no advertising) journals: "Neutrogena's Helioplex combines the UVA filter avobenzone with the UVA/UVB filter oxybenzone. Avobenzone is more stable when combined with oxybenzone...and the combo provides broader coverage."

My research also indicates that the Neutrogena Helioplex is one of the best sunscreens available but I cannot tolerate the fragrance.

I have had good results with Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock, SPF 30. It does leave a white shade to your skin but holds up well to sweat and provides protection without having to reapply during a match. No fragrance and it is relatively inexpensive.

Neutrogena has just come out with a new product, Neutrogena Sensitive Skin 60+ SPF Sunblock Lotion with PureScreen that I plan on trying.

I use many products made by Pharmaceutical Specialties, Inc. Great products without irritants or fragrances. I just tried their Vanicream Sunscreen For Sensitive Skin SPF 60 during a match last Sunday. It worked well and lasted for the entire match without having to reapply, but it is way too greasy. By the end of the match I was coated with a film of sunscreen, sweat and dust. I have some of their Vanicream Sunscreen SPF 35 Sport that I'm going to try next.

I also apply sunscreen before I leave home for a match and touch up my face and arms before the start of the match.

For skin care products, the Derm Store has good prices and free shipping. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

FYI, the aerosol sunscreens (not pump bottle) contain alcohol and can dry your skin.

Rick

+1 on the Derm Store. There shop and shipping is in my home town Redding CA on 15 min from me now. They only have good stuff and they are really good people.

I ROed Area 5 and bought Banana Boat sport spf/uvb 50. I didnt get sun burned at all. The best thing I found about it was you wanted it on your hands, its so sticky its better than my Progrip. I couldnt figure out what the heck was so sticky until the second day, I applied it the next morning and dang sticky, sticky!

Has anyone found a brand that won't stain your shirt?

Proactive makes an oil-free SPF 30 sunscreen that seems to have no fragrance, isn't greasy and doesn't seem to stain clothes. Most malls have one of their kiosks and they have some other non-acne related stuff that works well (wife likes their makeup remover pads). R,

I am also allergic to many perfumes and fragrances, I got so fed up going to the stores trying to buy any type of hygene products that arnt full of perfume. Even the so called Hypoallergenic stuff is full of it. Most manufacturers make fragrance free products but the stores never carry them, Then I discovered CVS .com its a drug store chain in these parts with a good websight. They have alot of store brand items including fragrance free sport sun screens. Service was decent. I tend to order a years supply of items at a time.

My favorite at the moment is the Bullfrog pump sprays-- not greasy, easy to apply and allowed on planes. Some people hate the smell though. Any of the other sprays are a close second for match use. Liquid goop only as a last resort.

I like the Bullfrog too. I did not use it before, but after getting burned at the Reno Multi-gun setup, I learned.

Jay

Down here in eastern nc with temps in the mid 90's and 95% humidity you can get hot and burned(out) quickly.

Lately, ive been using the neutrogena 70 power factor spray- not quite as economical as the rub on, but not greasy, easy to apply and youll actually wear it, and it doesnt stink. . .super product. about 7-10 for the can.