Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

Well of course, those POS STIs are like all other finicky "exotic" designs that require lubrication and cleaning, you know, like those "2011s" and the communist Cee-Zees.

He's selling to the consumer, a real man. Someone who buys a gun, shoots 50 rounds of WWB out of it, hits the target at least 25 times, and puts it in his bedroom closet, content to know that he'll be headshotting crooks at 25 yards with it. However, since everyone else at the water cooler can already do that, he will tell his friends about how he shoots flying squirrels with one hand at 75 yards, choking out a grizzly with the other while simutaneously kicking the winning field goal at the State championships; fulfilling the former quarterback's lifelong wish as he lays paralyzed in the hospital from a grizzly bear attack.

You're just one of those wacko "competitive shooters". To him you're just a big safety hazard running around "ISPCing" targets at that "gun club", making dangerous homemade bullets that you load 37 at a time in your oversized clip mags which are banned by the Geneva Convention don'tcha know, and having the gall to tell Granny Sue that a $1500 .44 magnum that he was going to make a handsome profit on is just not what she needs to visit her grandson on the other side of the tracks for Bible Study.

Omg. I read that last night and I'm still laughing!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a local gun shop i picked up a tacticool AR and proceeded to feel its ultra-gritty mil-spec trigger. From out of nowhere a clerk pops up and says, "Don't dry fire the guns! You could break the hammer off, especially on an AR."

At a local gun shop i picked up a tacticool AR and proceeded to feel its ultra-gritty mil-spec trigger. From out of nowhere a clerk pops up and says, "Don't dry fire the guns! You could break the hammer off, especially on an AR."

what he meant was "don't feel how awful that trigger is! just buy it!"

In looking for parts for the Sti. I visited a couple of local gun shops Looking for a couple of various springs. 1st shop looking for a 1911 main spring guy says for what. I say 2011 Sti. Words out of his mouth we dont sell parts to you wants be premadona shooters go get it online. WTF ASSHAT.

Second store; Looked at me like I was nuts after I told him what it was for, then his little gun smith in the back told me that I was crazy for trying to build my own.

Im not claming to know everything but my grandfather was a true gun smith and I learned the old hard way.

Third store great place, for parts he gave me a box to pick out what ever I wanted, asked about what I was building. I told him what it was and stated that he would like to see one. I just so happend to have the frame with me, he was drooling over it.

I visited a Nuckols Gun Works in Staunton, VA. I had snagged my extended slide stop on my shirt at practice just before leaving on vacation, snapping the extended part off. The friends we were visiting wanted to shoot so we visited the gun shop and asked if they had any slide stops for a 1911.

"A what?"

Seriously? To make this short, the gun smith asks me if I mean a take down pin because I have to remove it to take down the gun.

I checked every owners manual for every major manufacture of 1911s I could find- all of them call it a slide stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGaNRsdZbvc

I went shooting at an indoor local place today. Small place, nice though. I'm the only guy there shooting at a NRA rapid fire pistol target all the way back. That little black dot looks REALLY small next to all the zombie targets everyone is trying to hit. How could you miss those things? 3' by 4' exploded view! Ginormous! I digress...

Staff walks by and spots my Shadow laying on the bench. He eyeballs it real good. I ask him if he wants to shoot it, he declines but asks to hold it. All smiles as soon as he picks it up, drools over the SA trigger while stabbing it out downrange kind of funny like. I finish up and make a pass at the counter to see what they have. I ask him if they have any CZs.

"naw, that would just mold in my case, sit there so long. Not really a good gun either. Me, I shoot HK all the way." maybe he missed the large writing on the side of the pistol he was just holding and staring at and drooling over not ten minutes prior. The look on his face when I asked was like ewwwey CZ?!?!

I just :blink::blink: Wondered if it was his twin brother on the lane that told me he's always wanted one of these while holding my Shadow.

I avoid gun-shops like the plague.

Unfortunately, I had to enter one the other day. I have a female friend who loves my M&P 9 Full-Size, but I wanted to show her the Glock 17 and the XD 9 also. One of the brilliant counter-help suggested she buy a 22 Magnum Revolver (about 4" long). "It's a great defensive gun! That 22Mag will go right through a guy like an armor piercing round!"

Me: Could I please look at the Glock and the XD along side the M&P please???

Jeff

My father has been a firearms dealer for 35+ years and I help him out at larger gunshows occasionally...

Customer: (eyeing up a savage 17hmr and a remington 700 in 17 rem) Wow. these are 17s. Why is this one so much more money whats the difference.

Me: Well... one is a rimfire and the other is a high velocity centerfire

Customer: (Blank look)

Me: Well this catridge is this big (make small size with fingers) and this one is this big (Make larger gesture with fingers)

Customer: (Blank Look)

Me: The difference is about 2200 fps...

Customer: (Blank Look) Oh... (Makes face that he understands all)

Those may not have been the exact words but thats how it went.

18 years ago, I used to work at a gun store, so I've heard stuff, too.

However, not too long ago I heard a buddy of mine (a real gun guy who works at a gun store) tell a lady something like, "Yea, this one here is something - you know - you just kind of shove it in their gut and pull the trigger. It's good for that."

God, I'm glad he sugar coats everything and worries about being so politically correct! You just cannot hear a sales pitch like that everywhere.

So this is slightly off topic, but not too far and kinda funny now in retrospect.....

I had ordered a gun from Angus and had it shipped to a local FFL. I got a call that it was delivered on my cell phone while myself a a coworker were heading out for lunch. Well, the gun shop was on the way and I really wanted my new toy so the two of us stopped for me to pick it up. What could go wrong? So I'm there checking out the trigger pull with a gauge a borrowed from the owner while he waits on the phone for my instant check to clear. At this point in time Dave's warped sense of humor kicked in and he decided to ask, in a really loud voice, if my probation office knew about this. Well, the owners face went a bit white and his hand moved around to the small of his back as he asked "He is joking, right?" I put the gun down, assured him I was not on probation and starting planning my revenge. I guess the moral of the story is not to take pain-in-the-ass friends to gun shops.

My revenge was taking him to the range a letting him shoot my airweight with Buffalo Bores +P+++++++ without warning him first. It was the 1st non-22 he ever fired. Good times!

Me- I like pistols too, do you compete at all?

Tactical turd counter guy- oh yeah, 1911's.

Me- sweet. Single or double?

Tactical Turd- oh no, we only shoot one at a time.

Holy Crap I about fell over.

A few weeks back after I picked up my new Edge, I took it to the local gun shop/indoor range to put a few down the pipe and see how it handles. I'd been researching these for a while prior to purchasing and from talking to the PO, knew that these things like to eat .40 long. So I go to the counter of this shop which is all over the radio locally as being the "experts in all things firearms related" and stand in front of this massive bank of Atlanta Arms ammo, and ask the clerk if they stock .40 long. He looks at me like I'm asking for a box of Tampax. "What's that, there's no such thing." Uh, yes there is. "No there's not. We have any kind of .40 that you could ever need." I'm getting a LOT of attitude at this point. I ask him the obvious question, are you and Atlanta Arms vendor? "Duh, of course we are." You might want to reacquaint yourself with their catalogue ASSHAT!!!

I didn't really expect them to stock the long ammo, but you'd think they might at least acknowledge it's existence or be curious to learn more about it. Needless to say I now order direct from AA and bypass these fools completely.

A few weeks back after I picked up my new Edge, I took it to the local gun shop/indoor range to put a few down the pipe and see how it handles. I'd been researching these for a while prior to purchasing and from talking to the PO, knew that these things like to eat .40 long. So I go to the counter of this shop which is all over the radio locally as being the "experts in all things firearms related" and stand in front of this massive bank of Atlanta Arms ammo, and ask the clerk if they stock .40 long. He looks at me like I'm asking for a box of Tampax. "What's that, there's no such thing." Uh, yes there is. "No there's not. We have any kind of .40 that you could ever need." I'm getting a LOT of attitude at this point. I ask him the obvious question, are you and Atlanta Arms vendor? "Duh, of course we are." You might want to reacquaint yourself with their catalogue ASSHAT!!!

I didn't really expect them to stock the long ammo, but you'd think they might at least acknowledge it's existence or be curious to learn more about it. Needless to say I now order direct from AA and bypass these fools completely.

Am not taking sides here.

Did you mention to them .40 long is the same as .40 s&w but with an oal of 1.80?

I wouldn't be surprised if they took .40 long to be some exotic caliber.

I'm sure they're still ass hats :)

Did you mention to them .40 long is the same as .40 s&w but with an oal of 1.80?

I have a really hard time being patient and schooling "experts" when they act like total asshats. I don't know, maybe he went back and looked it up on Atlanta Arms afterwards and will now be able to make an informed statement like "No, unfortunately we don't have a very high demand locally for that ammo, but I would be happy to order some for you if you'd like." Or maybe I just have high and unrealistic expectations when it comes to professional conduct.

I will give them this though, they are apparently "experts" at screwing on every bit of tacticool AR furniture known to man, judging by the 15 or so 40lb AR's on display at the store.

I read the whole thing... now I don't have anything to entertain me. I guess I'll have to rejoin the real world.

I heard this one yesterday at the Cabella's here in the Phoenix valley...

Employee talking to a group of young men while holding a POF rifle, "I saw a video on youtube of a guy shooting 5 mags through his POF rifle, then he disassembled it touched his face with bolt carrier group and didn't even get burned."

I'm not sure what feature of the rifle he was trying to sell there.

In his defense he did later say that most civilians don't need an oprod AR instead of a direct impingment AR.

I'll throw in a couple more later as I remember them.

P.S. I have heard that POF has started outsourcing more and more of their parts off shore, so a Hogan rifle may be a better buy for the money. That being said, they are both well outside my price range.

Told a coworker I was going to Indiana this weekend to shoot in a state match. He asks "What kind of gun?" I decide to keep it simple and reply, "pistol". He says, "Ah yes, I love pistols too. Especially 911's". blink.gifeatdrink.gif

Told a coworker I was going to Indiana this weekend to shoot in a state match. He asks "What kind of gun?" I decide to keep it simple and reply, "pistol". He says, "Ah yes, I love pistols too. Especially 911's". blink.gifeatdrink.gif

Those are great guns in an emergency.

I have a really hard time being patient and schooling "experts" when they act like total asshats. I don't know, maybe he went back and looked it up on Atlanta Arms afterwards and will now be able to make an informed statement like "No, unfortunately we don't have a very high demand locally for that ammo, but I would be happy to order some for you if you'd like." Or maybe I just have high and unrealistic expectations when it comes to professional conduct.

I will give them this though, they are apparently "experts" at screwing on every bit of tacticool AR furniture known to man, judging by the 15 or so 40lb AR's on display at the store.

I'm sure they were ass hats :)

Literally just heard this.

Customer: Yea 30-06 is great. I got this friend that shoots 22 bullets through is 30-06.

Me: No I don't think so.

Customer: No he does, don't know how but he does but he does.

Me: Ok

This is also the guy that asked us if we could hear his straight pipes from the parking lot.