Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How long have you been shooting competively?

OK, I'll admit betting on scores at the rifle range at Boy Scout camp (46 years ago), Since then several years of trap and skeet, bullseye for a few seasons, then IHMSA, where I thought I found a home, then, six years ago, THIS WONDERFUL GAME!

:rolleyes:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

July 05, me and bubby decided to try stoot competively went to a couple of steelmmatchs, I got hooked he didn't. Then Aug 05 I found USPSA and love it. June 07 I started into 3 gun love it even more. I sort of remember have money and weekends with nothing to do :rolleyes:

Shooting and hunting since I was about 6. Introduced to USPSA in summer 2006. Shot nationals 2007. Cannot get any luckier than that. Signed up for a 1 year membership with the local club not knowing wether I would like the sport. Called the day after the match an converted to life member. Been hooked ever since.

I shot my first bullet in '76, I was 5. Been hooked on the trigger ever since. After 8 years in the Army(and I shot a lot in the infantry) I found USPSA in '98. I shot all the time growing up, but USPSA has been one of the best things I ever did in life. I've learned more stuff and met more friends here then just about anywhere else. Just wish I found it sooner. Sounds like we try and recuit more folks!

Like most, hunting and fishing since early age.

Started shooting handguns in 1990ish. Started out with Bullseye and a browning buck mark.

First centerfire was an AMT hardballer .45. Then graduated to a Wilson custom 5" Colt. Shot some bowling pins and such.

Then in 91' I went to TGO's class and shot my first IPSC match at Rio. Became very active once moved down to Tucson to go to college. Shot a ton all through college. Then moved to AR and really slowed down. Actually stopped.

Just moved again to Pittsburgh recently and hoping to pick things back up again.

J

That was the place, there are few things I miss about FL, Beckwith (or what ever his name was) is one; was always friendly, you could sit down and have a beer and a smoke with he and his crew, and the selection ... wow.

Joined uspsa in 2000, started shooting bowling pins in FL 1998 while in grad school at UF.

Oh my I forgot about the pin matches in Micanopy.... boy that guy sure had one helluva luger collection.... Beckwith i think was his name... I hear he has left the firing line...

I started shooting in the Junior program at a local club when I was about 10 or so (1963) got my first real target rifle in for Christmas in I think 1964 (Turned 12 just a little later) shot there till I was about 18. Dropped out for a while, but did some shooting, shot Bullseye for a couple years, BORING and then dropped out for about 10 more years. Back into shooting in a big way about 13 years ago.

I fired my first shots at the tender age of 4 and have been enthralled ever since. Just that on a few occasions life got in the way.

If I had time, I'd shoot High-Power, 3-Gun, PPC, USPSA, Trap, Muzzle loader, Benchrest and probably field artillery given the chance. (And money)

Shot in my first NRA Pistol Match in March 1958. First NRA Rifle match in 1966. Started shooting IPSC type matches in 1978. First SOF match in 1983. Sometime in the early 70's I even managed to shoot in a Registered Trap Tournament. Along the way I've also competed in Rifle and Pistol Metallic Silhouette and Bowling Pin matches. I just plum like to shoot.

Started shooting when I was 11 in a summer league youth program. Was shooting Trap and Skeet. Consistantly shot firearms for fun and for hunting since then. Tinkered around with bench rifle shooting, various shotgun sports, general plinking, military and LE shooting, and bow competitions. Started USPSA March 06. Like many others I wish I would have found USPSA sooner.

My Fathers Grandfather was a gunsmith. So shooting of whatever type you wanted was in the family since I can remember. My Dad was a competitive shooter back in the 70s at a range in Oceanside CA. Bill and Dorothy Hahn threw a match the 2nd Sat of the month. When they closed that range, they moved it to Duncan's Range in Rainbow around 79-80. That is when I first started shooting matches. They weren't IPSC, but they were timed steel matches of a practical nature. There were three or four stages and you would sometimes have a shotgun stage also. That was until 90-91, and then I quit competitively until I went to a steel match in late 06 and the bug bit me hard.

So recently, competitively, consistently, USPSA, a year and a couple of months. But shooting whatever else? All my life.

If you have a brother like I do, each shot you fire is competitive...so that would make it since about 1952...when I got my first .22.

Rifle team in HS, 1962,63,64, college 65, Army 66-68, trap and skeet 68-77, IPSC 77-86, IDPA 99-04, position center fire rifle 80-07, clays 95-09...

Started shooting silhouette in 78. Went to my first match and hit ONE target, but was hooked so bad I went and bought a new pistol THAT day. Started "Combat Shooting" anound 81 and have shot most everyweekend since.

As a kid competed in small bore rifle, high power & some PPC, started around 1974, then stopped competing when I hit high school. Never stopped hunting, interest were ah, (you know) somewhere else. Now I shoot about everything else since 1980.

I shot my first match Aug 16 2008 and got to shoot 2 more pistol matches and the rocky mountain 3gun during the following month.

Since then I've been back at my home station in England and well can't have guns here so I'm stuck waiting to come home again so

I can shoot some more!

I didnt join USPSA until after my first match so only the second 2 counted for classifiers. Hopefully I can get two more classifiers in

next time I'm home and do well enough that I can average out my current 14% and 54% :P I'd be happy if I could get my first

classification to be a C :)

I saw in the latest Front Sight that IPSC is alive and well in Ireland, Isle of Man, and Northern Ireland. Apparently the gun ban is much worse in England proper. I'd go shoot with the Irish or Manx.

Oh ya, back to topic.

I shoot in competitions, but rarely do I shoot competitively.

I've shot IDPA since about 2001. I started shooting 3 gun about 2-3 years ago. With pistol only I never really got the competitive spirit. Since 3 gun, I actually want to get better. At least enough to beat GentlemanJim.

Edited by J-Ho

Shooting my whole life; pistols mostly. Started competition January 2000. Missed 2 years for 2 back surgery's 1 year for weddings and grand babys. Hopefully back for a while.

Edited by mcattack

I did a few matches here n there starting in 05 or 06, then took a break for about a year or so as the stork flew by a couple of times. In April 08 I took an IDPA class and realized that I should probably take this up at some point. 6 months ago I started to take it more seriously and have been shooting USPSA, since the IDPA guys hibernate for the winter around here :lol:

Only plinked on rare occasion as a kid. Occasionally shot with friends through college and medical school. Didn't shoot for a few years but got the bug and bought my first pistol in '91. IPSC the next year and since.

Edited by kevin c