Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic hearing protection

kdiver58

I'm looking for feedback on electronic hearing protection. I want something that cuts off the sound a little sooner.

Right now I own a set of Radians and a set of Howard Leight Electronic Sport Earmuffs.

So far all I am shooting is USPSA and Long Range Tactical .308 matches

I want feed back from people about their muffs and if you have experience with either of the 2 muffs I have listed how yours compare to mine. Thanks .. K

Review:

Howard Leight Electronic Sport Earmuffs

Plus: Low profile

Cons: -These do not cut off the sound soon enough when shooting near a 300 win mag .. and if they have a muzzle brake .. forget it.

- I would never dream of using these indoors

- I would not buy these again

Radians Pro-Amp Electronic

Plus: - Cutoff the sound at least 30% better than the Howard Leight (my guess)

- Each ear can be independently adjusted

Cons: -More expensive

- not as low a profile

They are more expensive for a reason .. they work better.. these were a Christmas gift from my wife but she liked them and took them...

If no one comes up with a better pair of headsets I'm going to buy another pair of the Radians ..

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently bought the super bling, bling, double throw down Pro Ears Dimension Gold's with 33nrr. They are worth EVERY penny. They replaced a set of Peltors that I was less than enthusiastic about.

The nice thing is that they don't just cut off when there's noise, they reduce all noise above 70db and increases all sound below to 70db. Its a very nice, even sound. They're also substantially more comfortable than the peltors. The ears conform better around glasses and the headband is soft.

Prior to shooting USPSA, I shot a lot of sporting clays, typically with just plugs. I shot my first Clays match with the Pro Ears last weekend and was pleasantly surprised at how nice the Pro Ears were for clays. Sound quality was very even and I could have a conversation during shooting.

Don't have either brand you are asking about but I do have 2 pair of Dillon electronics that I like better than the pair of Pro Ears Linear Elites they replaced. Dillon's use compression and the Pro Ears use cutoff and are too big to use with a rifle. When using a rifle I prefer using molded ear plugs that I got at a gun show that are a little deeper than normal and bigger outside.

Edited by LPatterson

Pro Ears claims to NOT use cut offs, but instead uses compression.

'While other brands say they have 'compression' technology, they do not. What they do have is outdated technology, either 'Peak Clipping' or 'Automatic Level Control'. 'Peak Clipping' turns the amplification system off when noise levels reach a preset decibel leaving the wearer with passive muffs. 'ALC' simply reacts to high noise levels by lowering the unit's volume so the louder sounds still drown out softer sounds. In both technologies loud noise levels compromise the ability to hear quieter sounds. Only Ridgeline's 'DLSC' technology protects hearing while at the same time allowing the wearer to hear lower volume sounds such as normal conversation. 'DLSC' works by instantly 'compressing' all noises over the 70 dB threshold by 50% to a safe level while amplifying all sounds below that to 70 dB.'

I use Pro Ears here. I had some Peltor 6s but upgraded to the Pro Ears. Why? Because I only have one set of ears to last me my whole life and they're quite abused as it is (hearing is still OK, but my other hobby is drumming). Having to RO a bunch of open guns was what convinced me to spend the money on the highest NRR set I could find.

As mentioned the way they handle the sound is much smoother, they don't "cut out" and then turn back on like the peltors do. They just simply don't let anything beyond a certain volume through. This is nice, but I would still have purchased them without it.

Don't cheap out on muffs. Look at it like an investment in your health. The price is painful up front but is likely to be worse later, so suck it up and spend the cash now. I sleep better at night knowing I'm doing everything I reasonably can to protect my hearing.

The Pro Ears are a little too big for rifle/shotgun use. I switch to plugs for those. I'm not that big into 3-gun (yet) so it's not that much of an issue for me.

Edited by DarthMuffin

I use Peltor Tactical Pro's. They reduce to 20db if I remember right. Great protection for the money. But I have found that maybe electronics really are not always needed. If you turn them up too much and there are multiple timers in the area it is possible to react to the wrong one. We shot some practice last weekend in two outdoor "bays" and both timers sounded identical until I turned my phones way down. Also if you are talking to somebody while shooting is going on it can drive you kind of nuts. But again the peltors are very good at what they do.

I have two pair that I use on a regular basis.

Dillon Pro----Lightweight, uses compression, takes AAA batteries

Con---small earcups, sweaty in hot weather. Earcups crack

quickly, I'm on the third set. They bump the stock

and don't work as well with a rifle and shotgun.

Pro-Ear Predator 300's

Pro-----Works well with rifle/shotgun. Compression technology.

Con---Uses EXPENSIVE N batteries. Knobs turn very easily,

I killed a couple of sets of batteries before I pulled the

knobs and tossed them. I probably use these twice

as much as the dillons.

Also have a pair of Howard Leights, and a cheapy pair from Wally world.

Neither one impresses me much, especially with an open gun.

I've had both the Radians and Howard Leights and both have stopped working properly. When they were working, I would say the Radians did a better job overall. I now have a pair of MSA Sordins and couldn't be happier.

I use Peltor Tactical Pro's. They reduce to 20db if I remember right. Great protection for the money. But I have found that maybe electronics really are not always needed. If you turn them up too much and there are multiple timers in the area it is possible to react to the wrong one. We shot some practice last weekend in two outdoor "bays" and both timers sounded identical until I turned my phones way down. Also if you are talking to somebody while shooting is going on it can drive you kind of nuts. But again the peltors are very good at what they do.

I'm thinking you're confused. Perhaps they reduce BY 20db, but I don't think they could reduce TO 20 db. A whisper in a library is rated at 30db with normal conversation running 60 to 70db.

Peltor tactical!! the best..they come with black and orange colors so you can change to your prefference

it also take aaa batteries so I bought rechargable ones and never worry about getting batts. use to have

other electronic ears and the battery at radio shack cost me some serious$$

I currently use Radians Pro Amp. I was using Dillon HP1 but they stopped working so I got the Radians and they look just like the Dillons (I don't know who makes the Dillon HP1 muffs but if i had to guess these two muffs appear to be made by the same company.) but a lot less expensive I paid $79.00 for Radians and $135.00 for Dillons.

Radians

Dillon HP1

Radians Pro Amp works for me.

BK

Edited by bkeeler

I'm thinking you're confused. Perhaps they reduce BY 20db, but I don't think they could reduce TO 20 db. A whisper in a library is rated at 30db with normal conversation running 60 to 70db.

I am sure you are right. but all I know is the echos are louder than the round going off.

I am sure you are right. but all I know is the echos are louder than the round going off.

Great stuff .. thanks... I've never used electronic ear muff indoors .

When indoors I just back to my old reliable Peltor Ultimate 10's

After the watching the pro-ears video .. I'm really thinking about

buying them.

Their web site ..sucks though .. what a mess. They really need to

work on it. They reference several models in their FAQ area then

don't show those models.

I guess we are up to +4 now on the Sordins. I have had them for 3 years now and they work great. Pat Rogers from EAG tactical turned me on to these and they work great. They are low profile and durable. I had a pair of peltor Tac 6's before the Sordins that I was not very happy with.

It looks like about $50 difference between the Sordins and the Pro Ears.

Both groups seem to love their headsets.

Are the Sordins as good as the video the pro ears people have ..

If the pro ears are as good as that video .. I'm impressed and

if the Sordins are just as good and $50 less then .. more the better.

http://www.proears.com/hear-the-difference

NO COMPARISON: My vote is for the Pro Ears Dimension Gold's with 33nrr. Have tried several kinds and they are the best I found for the money. I like the digital Game Ears best but they are WAY too high priced. Peltor 6 are crap as they let too much sound thru and probably are damaging you hearing, permanently. The Pro Ears battery argument doesn't wash. If you watch where you buy the N battery, like you watch the price of everything else, they are reasonable. Home Depot has a pack of 2 batts for about $2. and I have seen them cheaper too. Batts last a long time if you remember to shut them off. I think the newer models [some of them anyway] have an auto shutoff feature. Still when shooting a comp indoors I would use earplugs in addition.