Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic hearing protection

kdiver58

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mentioned earlier in this thread that my Pro Ears Predator Gold muff cut off due to condensation build up. So I called them about it. They said send in the muffs, they shouldn't do that. Last Monday shipped them out and today - Friday - they were back. New circuit boards and new batteries. Can't ask for better service than that. They sound better so I really think there was some kind of problem.

Can't say that I had as good of an experience with Pro Ears. One side of mine quit working so I sent them back (I've had them for several years, so no expectation of a warranty repair). They called me and told me that both circuit boards were bad and needed to be replaced. When I threw a fit and told them that there was nothing wrong with one side and it was only the one side that didn't work when I sent them in they offered me $100 off a new pair! :surprise:

Wow thanks for all of the great information everyone. I just shot my first USPSA match on Sunday and I had a severe headache all day long. Open guns are loud, and several people said my gun (EMP) was just as loud (especially by barrels).

Right now I'm using Peltor combat ear plugs. (can't link yet)

Not great by any means, but I don't shoot very often, and when I do it's for a short amount of time (usually less than an hour). However, I want to keep going to USPSA matches and I definitely need some muffs! There is a lot of options to think about for sure. I guess the big 3 are the MSA Sordins, Pro Ears Gold, and the Peltor TacPro's. Seems the reviews are strong for every one.

Edited by polizei1

• 1 month later...

Are there any plugs that allow normal conversation to be heard clearly but also offer enough protection (outdoors)?

I have a pair of ESP-MC1 (mini-canal) electronic plugs that I love; they have 4 setting adjustments to hear conversations, but offer full protection when a gun blast goes off (I've sold both a pair of MSA Sordin Supremes & Pro Ears Gold) as there is no comparison.

hv, they sound great, but how much $ are they?

Retail is $599 - 500 if you are a Veteran, LEO or NRA life member, and as with most things, you get what you pay for, & hearing protection is not where you want to go cheap on quality - in this obsession we have, not a lot of money when you look at all we spend for this sport.

Give us the range report when you're back jt.

This is a great thread . A lot of people are dealing with this purchase decision, especially with all the new electronic equipment coming out lately. Word of mouth are the best reviews

Sorry for the slow update. I ended up sending mine back. They were okay, but I couldn't justify the cost compared to my Howard Leight Impact Sports. The biggest negative for me was the volume level when double plugging. I don't like how my Impact Sports clip conversations while people are shooting. Unfortunately, the Tactical Pros didn't get loud enough for me to hear people anyways (and my hearing is far from bad). The other thing was the size difference. They were much more bulky. I could live with this if I felt like they performed the way I hoped. Finally, like some others reported, the microphone cover popped off on the first use. Not a huge deal except I have no idea when it happened or where it went. All in all, they seemed like a decent product, but are not worth it over the Impact Sports in my opinion.

I have had the Peltor Tactical 6-S for around 10 years and chose them primarily because of cost. I even had to have them repaired once for an extra $55 on top of the initial cost. Still cheaper than the top of the line, but I would pay more If I had to do it over again and get the MSA Sordins.

• 3 weeks later...

Well what it comes down to boys and girls is what is the max one can afford for something as precious as their hearing.

Like I said earlier, I had the Pro Ears Golds for about a week $300 and sent them back. $225 and I might have kept them. Very nice, but not 300 bucks worth of nice. Had, and have some others brands too that I've kept around for guests I take shooting, but the biggest bang for the buck are the Peltor Tactical Pros Ive found for around $150. I believe they are rated at 28dbr at least. Make sure you request/purchace the Tactical Pros. There are many models from Peltor and they don't all perform the same. I don't know why J.Taliani couldn't hear well enough when he double plugged because I also do that when I'm indoor shooting and I find it acceptable. Not perfect, but acceptable for sure for what your doing by double plugging.

Anyway, for the money vs. what you get, I would definitely recommend the Peltor Tactical Pros.

I have some friends with the ESP digital ears and while my ears are worth it...my wallet isn't there. :huh:

Currently I have the custom molded Westone High Noise - Style 47-40 convertible and I am looking for an electronic muff to wear over the top when indoors or at the range when guys are shooting the big rifles. I am in the same boat as this whole thread - do I go with the Supreme Pro X @$250 from SRS Tactical or with the Tactical Pro @160 from Amazon? 1 yr vs. 5 yr warranty ect... decisions, decisions...

I tried the big Pro Ears Gold and the MSA Sordin Supreme III Pro+ with gel inserts.

So far:

The Pro ears are good.

The Sordin's prevent more noise. They are a little problematic in the wind (wind makes them cut out.) They are smaller. The battery seems to last longer & is less expensive.

I usually double plug.