Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic hearing protection

kdiver58

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already received my Sordins from across the country and I can't wait to try them at the range!

I can't seem to get the standard "pads" off so I can install the Gel ones. Is it simply a "brute force and violence" type thing or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks,

Allen

Wondering how you made out with those gel pads...

I am ashamed to say that I haven't even tried after the initial attempts. :blush:

Do you know the secret way to get the standard ones off?

I've done it two ways:

1. Put two fingers inside the pad (between the pad and foam area) and pull it out. It takes some force.

2. On mine there is a small tab on the outside of the pad. I push on that creating separation between the pad and ear cup, I then insert the back end of a table knife and pop them off. I've also done it by inserting my thumbnail between the pad and ear cup. Just be sure to use something that will spread the prying force out so as not to mar the ear cups.

These things are on tight and take some force to get them off. I've done this several times on both of the Sordins I have (I've had to clean the foam pads a couple of times).

I've done it two ways:

1. Put two fingers inside the pad (between the pad and foam area) and pull it out. It takes some force.

2. On mine there is a small tab on the outside of the pad. I push on that creating separation between the pad and ear cup, I then insert the back end of a table knife and pop them off. I've also done it by inserting my thumbnail between the pad and ear cup. Just be sure to use something that will spread the prying force out so as not to mar the ear cups.

These things are on tight and take some force to get them off. I've done this several times on both of the Sordins I have (I've had to clean the foam pads a couple of times).

I will give that a try this week assuming I can find the gel inserts I bought. :blush:

I have a hard time keeping track of things lately...

• 2 weeks later...

Fwiw, I used the Sordins today at a match for the first time. I was pretty pleased overall. I did end up adding a set of plugs under the sordins just because it was a little too loud for me for an extended period of time. I was shooting outside if that has anything to do with it. If i were wearing them while i were shooting by myself probably would not used the plugs. It was nice being able to hear what was going on around me at the match.

• 3 months later...

I know this post is really old but for anyones information, I bought the Pro Ears Gold Dimensions NRR 33's and sent them back. Nice, but not $300 dollars worth of nice as far as I'm concerned. I read an online review from a soldier serving in Irag who claims the MSA Sordins are the way to go. Heard good things about these from others too. Next time I drop a lot of cash for head gear I'll try the Sordins. I couldn't find any in depth comparisons/test of the wide range of electronic hearing protection anywhere. I wonder what Brian E. and Ron L. use. They must have tried everything by now.

I did the same thing with the Pro ears, I just didn't like them for the price they

wanted. I bought some Howard Leight's and love them. The Sordin's are probably the best

though, as I have not heard of a bad comment about them.

I know this post is really old but for anyones information, I bought the Pro Ears Gold Dimensions NRR 33's and sent them back. Nice, but not $300 dollars worth of nice as far as I'm concerned. I read an online review from a soldier serving in Irag who claims the MSA Sordins are the way to go. Heard good things about these from others too. Next time I drop a lot of cash for head gear I'll try the Sordins. I couldn't find any in depth comparisons/test of the wide range of electronic hearing protection anywhere. I wonder what Brian E. and Ron L. use. They must have tried everything by now.

Rob wears Dillon Electronic muffs.

Edited by jkatz44

• 6 months later...

Hate to bring up an old thread but it so much great information, I wanted to add in my .02 cents.

After debating between Pro-Ears and Sordin and reading this post along with several others, I decided to go with the Sordin Pro-X model. It's on order from SRS (thanks for the recommendation!) and I added the gel pads and pad covers. I have a pair of Linear Elites and they are about to go out...I've had them for 15 years and sent back last year from repairs. They are on their last leg so it's time for some new ones.

I'll post my review after I've had them to the range a few times.

Thanks again for all those who posted this valuable information!

I used Pro Ears Linear Elite (Pro Mag Gold is the equivalent model in today's line up) for years. Mine finally stopped working so I called the manufacturer, told them that I have trouble with my Linear Elite Pro Ears, and followed their recommendation to send them in for a repair estimate. They responded by saying that it was impossible to repair Linear Elite Pro Ears. I have to wonder why they instructed me to ship something to them that they don't repair. They offered to sell replacement Pro Mags for $200.00. I can buy Pro Mags anywhere for $289.00. With the concern that I'll get stuck again if my Pro Ears need repair, I decided that I'd be much better off with a different company that has better customer support.

Same thing happened to me and my Linear Elites. I've had them for 15 years and they've been great. One cup stopped working and the other was staticy. I called them and they told me they could try to fix them so they said to send them in. I was lucky, they did repair it and didn't charge much. However, I used them the rest of last year and they're okay but still cut out sometimes, batteries die quick and they are expensive. I think the customer service at Pro-Ears was pretty good and you can't expect electronics to last forever.

On another note, I just got my Sordin Pro-X in today, they seem awesome so far. The cups are a little shallow but I knew that from the reviews. The gel pads are great so far and give a tad more clearance for me. I can't wait to go out to the range to see how they perform.

I just found these and I'm seriously thinking of buying them. They are the "new" Peltor Tactical Pros with what seems to be basically the same or similar technology as the Pro Ears at literally almost Half the price. Check out the link http://www.aearo.com...MT15H7F%20SV001 . I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that's actually purchased and used them. It seems about time a manufacturer came out with the compression technology at a reasonable price. If the link doesn't work for you just Google the name. There's a lot of info coming out on them. I couldn't find a review though. Maybe you can be our quinea pig PC... :D

I know this post is a little late inre of the original date, but I hope this helps out. I ordered a pair of Pro Ears Mag Gold NRR33 from MidwayUSA. I tested them for the day at the range, and they the hearing protection aspect seemed great while shooting my 9mm, and 45acp. No problem. The comfort of them was a different story. They were too heavy and bulky, and caused some pain in the lower part of my left ear. Strangely enough, they didn't seem to seal well eithter? For that price, I wasn't happy, and sent them back to Midway for a refund. Midway is very accomodating to say the least. I am beginning to think the best way to go with hearing protection is the "passive" type.

bt

The above was my post from October of 2009, since then I have used these two types of hearing protection:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/EAR-Disposable-Ear-Plug-3WE33?Pid=search

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=671923

I use the plugs for High Power shooting, shotgun, and most pistol. The only time I "need" the muffs is when I shoot inside at our basement range, or when some big booming pistol rifle is shooting. Then, if I don't have the muffs on, I put them on over my plugs. I have never been to the point of needing anything else. One thing I like about the HL's is that they are not expensive, and if they break, I'll get a new pair and still be way under the sordins, pro ears, or walkers. I don't risk my hearing, so I wouldn't use them if they didn't work. Whatever you decide to go with, "just buy them" and be done with it. Sometimes things are so over "anal"yzed on the internet, it becomes confusing on what to get!

I just found these and I'm seriously thinking of buying them. They are the "new" Peltor Tactical Pros with what seems to be basically the same or similar technology as the Pro Ears at literally almost Half the price. Check out the link http://www.aearo.com...MT15H7F%20SV001 . I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that's actually purchased and used them. It seems about time a manufacturer came out with the compression technology at a reasonable price. If the link doesn't work for you just Google the name. There's a lot of info coming out on them. I couldn't find a review though. Maybe you can be our quinea pig PC... :D

I've got a pair and love them, super comfortable, great electronics, when I got mine amazon.com had the best price.

NO COMPARISON: My vote is for the Pro Ears Dimension Gold's with 33nrr. Have tried several kinds and they are the best I found for the money. I like the digital Game Ears best but they are WAY too high priced. Peltor 6 are crap as they let too much sound thru and probably are damaging you hearing, permanently. The Pro Ears battery argument doesn't wash. If you watch where you buy the N battery, like you watch the price of everything else, they are reasonable. Home Depot has a pack of 2 batts for about $2. and I have seen them cheaper too. Batts last a long time if you remember to shut them off. I think the newer models [some of them anyway] have an auto shutoff feature. Still when shooting a comp indoors I would use earplugs in addition.

Try batterybob.com

I use the Pro Ears Dimension Gold also and like them a lot. I used Peltors and got great service from them when I had problems but when a customer was getting rid of his Pro Ear Dealer samples, I picked up all he had (cheap) and like them a lot. Sold off all but the Dimension Gold at very good prices and ended up with mine almost free :cheers:

Buy pretty much all my batteries from Battery Bob and find prices good

Pathfinder1,

I am using the Peltor Tac Pros as a replacement for my dead Pro Ear Linear Elites. The quality is great. They are very comfortable. Because the cups are large (same size as Linear Elites), they might not be suitable for shooting long guns. The sound suppression rating is good but not as high as another brand which has a poor repair policy. They are easy on batteries during operation and they turn off automatically if you forget to shut them off. The only slight drawback is that when they are ready to automatically time out and turn off, they provide a warning beep so that the user can reset the count down timer. Pushing the on/off button at any time before the countdown timer expires will reset the timer and avoid the beep. If you are on the last stage at the Nationals, tied for the lead, haven't reset the countdown timer and the beep causes a false start, don't say that you weren't warned.

Pathfinder1,

I am using the Peltor Tac Pros as a replacement for my dead Pro Ear Linear Elites. The quality is great. They are very comfortable. Because the cups are large (same size as Linear Elites), they might not be suitable for shooting long guns. The sound suppression rating is good but not as high as another brand which has a poor repair policy. They are easy on batteries during operation and they turn off automatically if you forget to shut them off. The only slight drawback is that when they are ready to automatically time out and turn off, they provide a warning beep so that the user can reset the count down timer. Pushing the on/off button at any time before the countdown timer expires will reset the timer and avoid the beep. If you are on the last stage at the Nationals, tied for the lead, haven't reset the countdown timer and the beep causes a false start, don't say that you weren't warned.

Is this coming from personal experience? unsure.gif

I'm still going for the new Pro Tacs because of a company, Peltor in this case finally coming out with a terrific, reasonable price point with the compression technology. It's about time. Anyway, gng, did you get a chance to try out your Sordins yet? No doubt they are a great set of headsets. But did you ever know about the Pro Tacs or consider them before you purchased the Sordins?

I'm still going for the new Pro Tacs because of a company, Peltor in this case finally coming out with a terrific, reasonable price point with the compression technology. It's about time. Anyway, gng, did you get a chance to try out your Sordins yet? No doubt they are a great set of headsets. But did you ever know about the Pro Tacs or consider them before you purchased the Sordins?

Honestly, no. I do own a pair of the Peltor 7's and they are not great but they do for the price. I am at the range a lot, I am an instructor, a match director, compete in four different competitions so I use hearing protection a lot. I wanted the best for my hearing and that usually equates to more dollars. If the Tac Pros turn out with great results, I may end up selling my Sordins but I doubt it.

I have not been to the range with the Sordins yet but I will Monday. I'll post back on here with what I think of them. Thanks...