Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic hearing protection

kdiver58

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah after the Pro Ears (which I sent back) I researched the Sordins too, and for $300 amount again and some of the same reviews and comment in various forums I'm a bit leery about going that amount of $$ for something that's possibly negligible. That said NatNat, look at and check out the Peltor Tac Pros which also has the compression technology like the Pro Ears and Sordins. You can find them for $159 on line. Check out the link earlier in the thread.

Yeah after the Pro Ears (which I sent back) I researched the Sordins too, and for $300 amount again and some of the same reviews and comment in various forums I'm a bit leery about going that amount of $$ for something that's possibly negligible. That said NatNat, look at and check out the Peltor Tac Pros which also has the compression technology like the Pro Ears and Sordins. You can find them for $159 on line. Check out the link earlier in the thread.

Just found out after posting that the sordins have a 5 year warranty.

I don't think that the bigger cups of the Peltors are an issue since my passve muffs are quite big and i shoot long guns with them.

Seems like some more research is to be done on my part befor buing the muffs.

Cheers Lennard

Yeah after the Pro Ears (which I sent back) I researched the Sordins too, and for $300 amount again and some of the same reviews and comment in various forums I'm a bit leery about going that amount of $ for something that's possibly negligible. That said NatNat, look at and check out the Peltor Tac Pros which also has the compression technology like the Pro Ears and Sordins. You can find them for $159 on line. Check out the link earlier in the thread.

Just found out after posting that the sordins have a 5 year warranty.

I don't think that the bigger cups of the Peltors are an issue since my passve muffs are quite big and i shoot long guns with them.

Seems like some more research is to be done on my part befor buing the muffs.

Cheers Lennard

Yeah, that was one of the last deciding factors (5 year warranty) of either to stay with Pro-Ears or go with Sordin. I went with Sordin and I was supposed to go to the range today but it rained and I ended up working late. Will try again tomorrow...

• 3 weeks later...

Any other info on the llife expectancy of the Sordins? I have been using Dillon HP1 for the last 5 yrs and they have been really reliable. However the plastic parts are slowly breaking apart and it won't be long before I would have to replace the Dillon. That's really too bad since the electronics are still working, but the bands are coming apart. I've narrowed down my choices to getting another pair of Dillion or trying out the Sordins. My main concern with the Sordin is durability. I know it has 5 yrs warranty, but I'm not based in the US, so it would be a hassle to send the Sordins back if they do break. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much guys! :D

ahtsay-For what it's worth I'm with dkexmr. Peltor Tactical Pros. At least check them out before you buy. After lot's of looking into this subject (including trying and sending back the $300 Pro Ears) I settled on and purchased the Peltor Tatical Pros. I just recieved mine last week and I am sooooooo pleased with them for the money. Biggest bang for the buck. Well made, great suppression electronics and excellent price for all the features. Look cool too! $159 at Amazon and other places. Almost half the price of Sordins and Pro Ears. I have to admit I didn't get to try the Sordins, but I did thoroughly research them.

is there a difference between the peltor tac pro and the peltor tac 7s? I have the 7s right now and want something a little better. Trying to decide whether to jump to the msa sordins or if the tac pros will be noticibly better than the tac 7s i have now.

RANGE REPORT on the Sordin Pro-X...LOVE THEM! Although I was only at the range for a few hours, they were very comfortable, very good protection, didn't feel like I'm wearing 6x9 speakers on my head like the Pro-Ears, the controls are awesome. The only small con I can think of is they were a little tight but will probably open up a little with more use. I will be using them all day this coming Saturday so I will get a better feel then. Also I will be shooting a rifle so that will tell me how it works with the cheek weld. Will try to follow-up at that point...

Hey thanks so much for the advice Pathfinder. However, I'm leaning on just getting another pair of Dillon from Brian's store. I think durability is lot more important for me than extreme performance. My old pair has lasted 5 solid years, so at least I know I can expect another 5 solid years from the new one. Also it's a way to support Brian and this forum :D

Definitely something to be said for the reliability of the Dillons no doubt.I ended up buying the Peltor Tac Pros and I'm like gng4life with his new Sordins...ie I love 'em (my Tac Pros).Stereo fidelity and sound suppression is excellent. I paid $159 at Amazon, but I have to admit I wish they had the 5 year warranty of the Sordins. That's a valuable feature. Digby7-my understanding is the Peltor Tac Pros are a step above the Peltor 7's

I recently bought the Sordin Pro X model. I have only used them for about twenty hours over the past month, but I have been very happy with them. The comfort with the gel pads is excellent, as is the sound quality. I was a little uncomfortable spending that much money, but decided to go for the waterproof hearing protection after having several sets of electronic muffs go bad. I've had two different models from Peltor and at least two Dillons die on me in the last ten years. I think it's because of sweating in them and ruining the non-protected electronics. I sure hope the Sordins last. The waterproofness was the reason I bought them over the competition.

I recently bought the Sordin Pro X model. I have only used them for about twenty hours over the past month, but I have been very happy with them. The comfort with the gel pads is excellent, as is the sound quality. I was a little uncomfortable spending that much money, but decided to go for the waterproof hearing protection after having several sets of electronic muffs go bad. I've had two different models from Peltor and at least two Dillons die on me in the last ten years. I think it's because of sweating in them and ruining the non-protected electronics. I sure hope the Sordins last. The waterproofness was the reason I bought them over the competition.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I did purchase the gel pads and the cloth cover for them. They are so comfortable so far, a little shallow in the cup so if you have big ears, these may not be for you :)

Putting the batteries in was a pain. I don't know if it's just me or what but I had a difficult time getting the first one to drop in just right so I could get the second one in...very strange setup but it looks like it is for the waterproof protection.

I have the Peltor Tac Pros and love them. Comfortable to wear all day over Geneteks. Don't have to double plug when ROing indoors even with open guns. Nice that they use AA batteries. Only negative would be I could do without the shutdown warning tones.

Edited by Lewiston

• 4 months later...

Good threads just keep resurrecting, huh? After reading all these comments I'm thinking hard about getting the Peltor TacPros... except I'm shooting a lot of rifle these days and they look pretty thick. Anybody have long gun experience with these to tell me if they interfere with the stock? Or, alternately, does anybody have experience or knowledge regarding the Peltor TacSport, which seems to be designed with the long gunner in mind? The discussion seems to be geared exclusively towards the TacPro, which makes me wonder in the TacSport is a model to be avoided??? Thanks, J

ive had the MSA sordin supreme pro x's with gel cups for almost 5 months now and I cant find much to complain about. quality wise they are better than anything else ive seen. this includes peltor/dillon/howard leight/pro ears. Had a chance to compare these side by side with my buddies proears gold - not even funny how big the pro ears are in comparison. looks like one of those hats with the beer holders on the side of your head. I also dont like how the battery compartment is exposed on the inner ear with the proears.

The one thing that would be nice with the MSA's is a higher nrr. I spent alot of time reading about these before plunking down cash for them. The general consensus was that they muffle things like the blast from a open gun much better than anything else because of their performance at a certain frequency range. I did not find this to be the case. My peltor tac7's muffled open guns better than the msa's.

What I ended up doing was getting some custom made ear plugs and now I double plug if i'm going to be scorekeeping or standing anywhere close to a open gun when its about to go off.

Comfortwise the MSA's are fantastic.

Very happy with the operation of Pro Ears Predator Gold. They work well with long guns because of the cup shape.

Only one drawback. They fit so snugly condensation collects in the electronics and they stop working. This usually takes a several hours to occur. I have asked others with the same muffs and they have the same problem.

For the Money....Peltor Tac Pro's all day long. Like I said earlierI had the Pro Ears for $300 for about a week. Very nice, not doubt, but expected more, so I sent them back for the Tac Pro's for almost half the money. Very good looking too. The Pro Ears just were not $300 worh of performance and value to me. No long gun experience with the Tac Pro's yet, just pistol.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that my Pro Ears Predator Gold muff cut off due to condensation build up. So I called them about it. They said send in the muffs, they shouldn't do that. Last Monday shipped them out and today - Friday - they were back. New circuit boards and new batteries. Can't ask for better service than that. They sound better so I really think there was some kind of problem.

Edited by MI_Packer

I have some Howard Leight's I have been using for about a now, and do a very nice job. I am sure the Sordins are nicer, but you pay more. I have tried the pro ears but they were too heavey and bulky. I thought I might not get the protection with the HLs, but I do. I am satisfied with the HL's, and would recommend they to people who don't want to spend 2-3 hundred dollars.

http://www.cabelas.c...equestid=151835

Give us the range report when you're back jt.

This is a great thread . A lot of people are dealing with this purchase decision, especially with all the new electronic equipment coming out lately. Word of mouth are the best reviews