Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The biggest risk I've ever taken

Don't know if this is a what I hate. Or a what I like.

I really don't know much at all.

As many of you know, I've had a lengthy and reasonably successful career at a major retailer in NW Arkansas. Said differently, Wal-Mart. Love them, hate them, like them or not - the company has been great to me. I've had a phenomenal career and because of the company I've got a wonderful wife, daughter and life.

That is until today. I resigned today. Hardest decision I have EVER made.

My family and I are moving to Pennsylvania. Scariest move I've ever made. Going to work for another retailer over there. Hopefully I'll enjoy continued success. Hopefully this risk will be one that will work out well.

I leave behind a great career but more importantly I leave behind friends. I leave behind a wonderful place to live. I leave a house I love and a community that has been nothing but good.

I don't know what I'm headed to. And I leave in the worst economy this country has seen in some time. God I hope I'm not an idiot.

But it is an adventure. Something to look forward to. No longer comfortable. No longer easy. Things will be different. Challenging. HARD. And yet rewarding.

My heart is heavy tonight as I reflect in the rear view mirror. Time will tell if I've made a good decision.

Regardless things will be different.

Risk, it is indeed an interesting concept. Interesting because it is so drastically uncomfortable. Violently uncomfortable. I've realized over the years that I've always liked putting folks outside their comfort zone. That risk has always benefitted them. Which benefitted me.

Tonight though I've put the risk on me. And my family. It's on us to make this work.

Thank God I've got the family I've got. Nothing else matters. Flat broke or millionaires. Life will be ok. I may struggle to pay the bills at some point. But I'll never struggle to understand I have a wife, a child, and parents and siblings - that love me. They will save me in ways that corporate America can not imagine.

Last night 49 people died in a plane crash. My issues are nothing compared to what they had to deal with. Or their families. Yet my issues weigh on me.

I hope this all works out. Whatever "this" is.

Jack

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck man.

2 years ago, I quit a very secure, decent paying job to do my own biz full time. I was scared shitless..... Still am, esp wit hthis economy, but sometimes it just feels like the right thing. Sounds like you have your priorities in order, a supportive family is the greatest thing.

Good luck man.

:cheers:

I think I've been in sorta similar shoes. I had a killer job in the funny five-sided building in DC where they loved me and things were golden. I left and the first night at Quantico thought to myself "what did I get myself into this time?". Uncomfortable? Hell yes! Worth it? Yeah, even if I left tomorrow I'd have gained so much it would be hard to describe.

This says it all:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Theodore Roosevelt, 1910, Paris, France

You're gonna kick @ss.

Quite often you have to take calculated risks to progress. Doesnt sound to me like you are making a bad risk because you are moving into a better position hopefully for a better future. My father always taught me that as soon as you feel comfortable and secure in a career, it was time to move on and continue to stretch your self and grow. Wise man :) Good luck in your new endeavor.

I've done the same multiple times.

The adventure shapes you. It makes you stronger, more interesting and substantially more confident. I get a lot of funny looks when I start talking about the places I've been, but I wouldn't trade it.

My Dogs have been to WAY more states than most Americans (28 to be exact). This is a big country and there's still a lot of opportunity to be enterprising.

Good luck. The hardest part is over, now make Chicken Salad!

Edited by Seth

I can some-what relate to your situation. I made a move last year that took me away from family, friends & a successful steady job. I worried so much leading up to it, but after it was all said & done, I worried for nothing. I moved for a great reason & I'm so glad I did.

Life is about risk, & I think it makes you a stronger person.

Good Luck in all you do. It'll work out.

Best of luck to you Jack.

I remember my High School Humanities teacher talking about "momentous decisions", decisions you can't take back, like jumping out of an airplane or pulling the trigger. I think these decisions add a great deal of spice to life. PA will be a better place once you arrive.

First time I did that I was scared as hell too. As I pulled away from my old home for the last time I was about half sick with stress. By the time I reached my new home I was filled with a mixture of fear and excitement. Fear of the unknown but excitement to meet new challenges.

I had become very comfortable but also very stagnant. Moving took me out of that comfort zone and brought new energy to me. Nine years later I was again "comfortable and stagnant" so made another move. That one also worked out quite well.

Chances are that in six months you will revisit this thread and laugh at yourself as you realize that you made the best possible decision for you, your family and your career.

Best of luck and don't let the new career take you away from here!

The fear's normal, obviously - but I think you already know you're going to do just fine, Jack ;) Growth requires discomfort, and comfortable, "risk free" change usually results in nothing much.

Leaving an established base of friends is a tough thing, though. It takes a while to reestablish in a new place, and it feels awful lonely while you're doing it. Hang in there ;)