Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Ordnance Bad Rap?

steveyacht

I have a P16 built in the early 90's it runs great after replacing the plastic mag release and dropping in a good trigger. It still has the stock extractor, barrel, and barrel link. I have had it for about 2 years with no issues.

Well Good people, I have two para's. I have a P-12-45 that I use as my carry gun and I have a P-16-40 that I use in USPSA matches. I bought the P-16-40 back in the 1990's and still have the org. barrel link and pin set up and probably shot well over 150,000 rounds and still competeing with the same gun And never had a problem not once. Still seems to be shooting fine although I did start feeling a little trigger freeze. I think it has to do with the sear spring. I just ordered all new springs for this gun since I never have changed them for the life of the gun. Springs do seem to wear and lose their tension after so many rounds. Just like mag springs have to be replaced sometimes. All my springs have come in except the one I think I need, the sear spring. When it arrives I will replace all of them and check the function of my gun and see if this solves my small problem. If not, to the gunsmith for the first time since I bought the gun in 1995. BTW, I shoot every Sunday since 1995, and when I don't compete in local matches I usually go to the range and practice. Thanks for letting me vent here on your subject of the Para Ordnance.

Twoguns

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks to me like a true consistency issue. I have an LDA .40 that shoots fine (only about 1000 rounds but no issues), another shooting buddy has had nothing but issues with his .9mm and yet another with an older wide body .45 seems to have a problem more often than others...

I hope PARA can figure it out.

I have 2 Paras...one a Limited gun built on a frame kit before complete guns came out and the second built up as a carry comp. Both run great with quality ammo - my handloads or factory. Mags bought over several years have been tuned using factory parts and still, after muuuuch use, work great with few replacement parts. Can't tell how many 1000's of rounds because I don't keep track. Both have been hard chromed and contoured slightly but aren't the worse for all the use they have seen. FWIW, I have heard from a friend (whom I trust) who works at a gun shop that Paras are the worst for needing to be sent back to the factory. I would but one or more as $$$$$'s allow. Yes, I would have them tweeked because that is the way I am!

JMNSHO

Richard

Warpspeed, same thing happend to me at a IDPA match at Sac Valley. I had just gotten a LDA 7-45 and had about 250 rounds thru it when the bushing broke. Sold it. But I did buy a 16 40, older model. for USPSA, of course had all parts replaced. Gun only likes long loaded ammo.

We have very limited choices in Ca for double stack 40.

At one of my first USPSA matches I shot, there was a shooter with a Para that had the bushing break and the recoil spring goes flying down range. Someone commented how that was par for teh course with a Para.

My girlfriend's Para did the same. I made sure to get an over-sized bushing to fit up as a replacement. With Para's big opening for the bushing, the part that should have needed fitting just dropped in. :wacko:

I have seen just as many failures with paras as any other platform.

I have had the same P14 for Limited since 1996 and hardly ever have a problem with it and it still has the stock frame, slide, and barrel. I can not speak for the recent ones but most of the people I know that have them have had them almost as long or longer than I have had mine. My experience has not been bad and the gun will still shoot 2" groups at 25 yards easy enough. I do not know how many rounds are through it but I know it is well over 50K. It is not tight anymore though :( and the blueing is worn off all over so it is not pretty to look at. It looks like it is always in a bad mood and I have renamed it "Rusty"

My first Open was a first gen Para gunsmith frame and shot great for me the entire time I had it. The only time I had a problem with that was when I over buffed it (that was a common practice back then).

(edited to take out useless rant)

Any gun that will see competition should have the usual once over by a competent gunsmith. I would feel comfortable with a para just as I would with any other name out there. You should realize that if you ever try and sell the gun you will take a loss on the Para as compared to an S_I but if you know that you will stick with the sport you will still get years of use out of it.

Edited by BBoyle

Elsewhere on the forum I'm selling my STI guns and keeping the Paras. I know the STI's will sell. One Para is sentimental, the Open .40. The other Open gun I haven't got it going perfect yet and don't want to give another shooter it's problems. The third Para started as a P-16 Limited that I bought from another member and never shot because the slide was so loose, the rear sight didn't fit the dovetail correctly and canted to the left when you tightened the allen set screws, and you could tell the guy I bought it from had replaced some parts also, thumb safety and trigger being the most significant. I've only recently got it running again with parts I got from eBay when they were still allowing sellers to sell critical gun parts.

Shoots really nice now, but the only things in it that are Para made are the frame, stocks, slide stop and ejector. Come to think of it, the only things Para on the two Open guns are the frames and stocks. I do use Para mags in them all but have to put different colored base pads on the shorter (original length) mags as they won't fit the Dawson magwell.

I still like Paras though, it's easier to get a balanced "heavy" gun which I seem to shoot better. And the grip fits my hand better.

post-5998-1233333971_thumb.jpg

I've got a 16-40 Limited and it runs great. I also have a Brazo open gun, a few springers, a colt, a glock and a few S&W's to compare it to. Honestly if it did not run I'd not own it.

I'd buy another one in a heart beat. I've got 25K rds through it and it has been very reliable. I've run major loads in it and resprung it and run minor loads for my kids to shoot it, no problems. The thing is a tack driver for my daughter with the minor loads.

Granted the finish is not on par with my Brazo, nor my springer from the custom shop, but I also paid 5-10 times more for those guns and waited 9 months for them.

Based on my own Para and others I have talked to it seems to be consistency and reliability issue and getting guns to run without a lot of parts replacement. My Para has had almost all small parts replaced so the only thing original is the slide, barrel, frame and rear sight. Would I buy another one, probably not.

I have a 16.40 that I really like. It has had trigger work done by EGW, but no other tweaks on it other than me polishing up the barrel ramp, champer and breach face with some flitz and a rag, it runs great.

Earlier this year I took it out of retirement and it was running a bit sluggish, I hit it with some Flitz again and now it is back to 100%.

Had 2 and sold 2.

P16 worked right out of the box, purchased a p18 a couple years later (2007) and it was not even in the same league. I replaced most everything but the slide and frame. It was a reliable gun when i was done.

A shooting buddy at our club recently bought a p18 that was as bad as mine. Bbl lock up is so sloppy it wont even shoot minute of barn door. He sent it back to para who sent it back unchanged and said "It was in spec". :wacko:

Sold both of mine to finance a caspian 6" 9mm high cap. and never looked back...

I have had my p14 LTD since about 2000 and it has never had any problems. I have thousands of rounds through it and can't really recall any FTF's or FTE's. The mags are the only thing I have a few problems with but I have not really spent too much time getting them right.

I have around 14,000 rounds on my T1640S LDA and it has only had 2 jams, both ammo related. It is stock except for a stainless steel mag release, F.O. front sight, and a Dawson magwell. It is a great gun to get into USPSA with. For under 1400 you are fully setup with gun, belt, mag pouches, and holster. Most of the problems I have seen on Para's is the junk mags out there. Too bad you can not get STI for Para mags anymore.

BEHOLD!!!!

THE MIGHTY FRANKENPARA!!!!!!!!

Frankenpara_right.JPG

She's an ugly girl but she shoots very very well. The only thing stock on this pistol is the frame and it's one of those old butter soft alloy frames. If I give her the right magazines she will shoot all day long and not care!

I also sold my S_I's for Para's. I feel I gave them a fair chance(Like Glock). I hate plastic!. Maybe others feel the same way thats why their making a alumn. frame?(Like Glock).

The only advantage I see is if you're building a open gun and need the thick dust cover.

Edited by Silver_Surfer

so Todd had a mag problem. Big deal. Every make of guns has had a mag problem once in a while.

I have a 9x23 built on a frame kit. I also have a P14-45 that has given me no trouble at all.

Based on MY experience I recommend Paras. If you dont like them don't recommend them. Don't make a big deal out of it.