Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Turtle targets

zhunter

The A zone shape doesnt match the shape of the target. IE, aiming center mass of the target isnt the same as center mass of the A zone. This is a little off on the metric also so I have a habit of aiming a little higher than center mass which puts my poa center mass of the Azone. On the turtle target the A zone tapers towards the top. The turtle would be better if the A zone was the same shape and center mass of the whole target.

All that being said after getting the PA sectional COF's and seeing turtles I bought a bunch and praticed with them exclusively for a month. Now I really dont care one way or the other.

Nik, you beat me to it.

I have a strong dislike for the Turtle Target. I think it has to do with my upbringing. We were taught not to shoot at anything that was neither food or a threat. I don't eat turtles nor do I feel threatened by them.

So should we call them "Stop Signs"? I'd answer that is also a bad idea as we all abhor the people that shoot street signs.

This leaves us with the Metric target which should now that IPSC has abandoned it be renamed the USPSA Target or the USPSA Classic or...

This target represents exactly what the origins of the sport harken back to, defensive use of a handgun in situations where such use would be proper.

People that are saying we are shooting at 'representations of people' seem to have no problem with SASS where they take on a persona of a good guy or bad guy and shoot at targets that look for all the world like a silhouette of Yosemite Sam.

As for just shooting at the center of the target, the IPSC target doesn't have the A-zone centered and if laid on the side at a 90, you can't tell which end to shoot!

Jim

There seems to be an aversion to them, but....

What is the problem with shooting turtle targets? I have shot Florida Opens and have no problem with them.

Just keep that thought and you will do fine with them

The aiming point is different, and there is no head area- other than that, it is just another target.

The aiming point is different, because it is a different target!

I personally enjoy the smaller area, makes me aim for a change :rolleyes:

Aiming is good. Over rated, but good. One day I will learn that!!

I like both of them, especially when both are used at matches on different stages. As mentioned above they are much better in the rain and with clam shell type activators as there is no 'head' to get all floppy. And as well all know there's nothing worse than a floppy head.

I have a strong dislike for the Turtle Target. I think it has to do with my upbringing. We were taught not to shoot at anything that was neither food or a threat. I don't eat turtles nor do I feel threatened by them.

You sir, obviously, have never been on the receiving end of a turtle attack, I still have nightmares man! You barely have time to shout out "They're coming right for me!!!"......light a cigarette, load some .308 match rounds and watch a season of "The Unit" ....before they are all over you...it ain't pretty.

wood.jpg

Now that's funny right there! tell me, did you have time to build the rifle as well???

Seriously, the POS Classic is NOT any better in the rain, there is a significant portion of the target that stands above the side anchor points. With the Metric you have two choices, one is to cut off the upper A/B AKA the Head, or you can simply invert the target. As for flip up targets, the Metric target is demonstrably better. The full height of the main body of the target is supported, on the Classic only about a third of the target height is secured to the target sticks.

I still wonder why the powers that be didn't just cut off the upper A/B zone and be done with it for international competition. If the size of the A zone is the big whupp, we could have altered that, we really didn't need a whole new shape.

Jim