Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is every ones favorite barrel length for 3-gun?

SHELLFISH17

Sheldon,

I like the 16" barrel for the type of shooting we do around here (TX) - mostly up-close hosing. Easier to maneuver quickly in tight spaces and pretty light.

I think, though, that an 18" barrel might be a bit more versatile - can run a full-length gas system and a couple dozen extra FPS and a bit more bullet stabilization for those long-shots they sometimes have in the matches out West.

My JP is sporting a 16" barrel currently, but I'd like to change it out to an 18" sometime down the road - but I'm in no big hurry.

Doug

I like a 20". Full length gas system is a plus. As to the length, well it's the same length as my shotgun, so it works just the same for close up stuff as the shotgun. I do like a heavier gun than most people FWIW.

Out side of Taran, I don't see less than 20" barrels in the top 10 at most major matches for any division....except heavy metal, then I see a 22" at the top most all the time! KurtM

Out side of Taran, I don't see less than 20" barrels in the top 10 at most major matches for any division....except heavy metal, then I see a 22" at the top most all the time! KurtM

I like my barrel to be one inch longer than Kurt's!

I use an 18 in barrel on scoped ARs and a 20 in on Iron sighted rifles. I've used 16, 18 and 20 and really see little difference. I prefer the feel of an 18 but I don't shoot it any better than a 20. Taran does run a short barrel. I have heard him say that he looks at the AR as kind of a big open pistol and really likes fast handling. I look at the AR as a light rifle, a quite different perspective which is shown by our scores. He usually bests me at short range rifle courses and I usually best him at longer range courses. Given that most matches have much more short range than long range rifle, he may have something there!

I would worry less about barrel length and more about zeroes, technical shots, managing props and working on your offhand.