Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice on which Benelli Shotgun, M1, M2, M4?

cheers623

So,

I have been looking on the various forums alot and have decided to go with a Benelli auto-loader for my shotgun. I have found a ream of information about opinions on Brand A versus Brand B....i.e. Remington vs Benelli vs FN etc, etc. But, I have not found a consensus from Benelli owners about which model. I have found thus far the M1, M2, and M4 configurations. My question is: which one should I get and why? I am a lefty who has shot my Mossberg 590 alot and am very comfortable with it but want an autoloader now. Is one of these Benelli models more reliable than another? More left hand friendly, etc, etc?

Benelli owners, please chime in and give some advice.

Have a great holiday season and thanks in advance for the info!

Cheers623

DVC

Edited by cheers623

I've only had my M2 for a couple months and have only put 150-200 rounds through it. For mods it has a Nordic mag tube, I extened the loading gate myself to keep my thumb from getting pinched and drilled and tapped the bolt release and added a Dawson low pro mag button to make closing the bolt easier. It runs great and no gas system to keep clean like the 1100's I used to use. I shoot with 3 other guys who all have M2's with similar mods and none of them complain. The only issue they tell me about is to buy quality shells for a match (like Win AA's) because they are more reliable than cheap shells. I've only shot the cheap Win and Federal stuff so far. I think all the models have similar reliability. Seems to me the 3-gun crowd, not to be confused with the "tactical" crowd, are going with the M2.

M1 or M2.

I believe the M1 is no longer made - I have one and love it!

M2 is an M1 except the the comfortec stock thingy that many feel takes some of the kick out. I would not hesitate to get one if in the market.

If looking for new again, I would be buying a 21 or 24 in vent rib M2 in a heart beat. Then add the Nordic extension, clamp, and begin practicing. Figure out where the POI is for slugs on your particular gun.

BB

I can't talk from personal experience because I don't own a shotgun but SSG Robbie Johnson from the US ARMY Shooting Team has a video ( http://www.myoutdoortv.com/pdk/web/shootin...u85cQQt0fFcjTQ_ ) in which he recommends an M2 with a 21" barrel and a few other mods. I am sure that Benelli is paying for some sort of sponsorship but there has to be a good reason why he chose the M2 over the M4.

Bennelli does not pay any sponsorship to any 3 gun shooter nor do they furnish even a .25 cent discount to any 3 gun shooter. The reason shooters choose M2s is because they are the best tool for the job.

Thats what I hear too.

M4 is gas operated and intended for military/police activities where a WIDE variety of shells might be used within a single "engagement." Do I have this right? I'm kinda reaching here into areas where I have no experience.

Seems I've seen pics of our soldiers in Iraq using the M4 to breach doorways with slugs or some mystery round. Thats gotta be a somewhat risky for the M4 trigger operator.......shooting at metal (padlocks, latchs, etc) at point blank range?

BB

Edited by BlackBuzzard

I used to use the Remington 1100 but when I handled an M2 I switched.

The M2 is much lighter and a little less finicky than the Remington. Not that I had problems with it because I didn't.

My M2 has a 24" barrel, comfort stock with the thick gel-pad, Nordic extended tube - bolt handle - bolt release button, and an Arredondo speed loader.

I think the M4 is heavier even though it's smaller. This is just based on their website. http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/m4.tpl

My suggestion is get the M2 and you'll never look back.

Gary

I have an M1 that I sent to Beven Gram for his "magic", basically the same work that Benny Hill does, IIRC (lighten bolt, weld/recut lifter, etc.). It had a 26" bbl on it, and it was cut down to 21" and threaded for choke tubes. It is almost impossible to find a 21" bbl...if that is what you want, you will probably have to get a longer bbl and have it cut down and re-threaded for choke tubes.

Edited by davidwiz

... I am a lefty who has shot my Mossberg 590 alot and am very comfortable with it but want an autoloader now. Is one of these Benelli models more reliable than another? More left hand friendly, etc, etc?

Benelli owners, please chime in and give some advice.

Have a great holiday season and thanks in advance for the info!

Cheers623

DVC

Cheers,

As a LEFTY Benelli shooter, I think you are on the right track. Get a M2, send it off the Benny or Bevin for thier magic, and then shoot the @%# out it.

My main reason for posting; I feel a right handed longgun is MADE for leftys! (as long as you don't get hot brass in the face) If you have a chance, shoulder a left handed gun side by side with a right handed gun and you will see what I mean. Operate the bolt and the rest of the "controls" of both guns and consider time to perform the operation, etc...

You will have to reverse the safety on a M2 (very easy to do) so it can be operated with your trigger finger, but other than that, its a done deal.

Now if we could just get stages that appear symetrical but are bias to the right handed shooter outlawed... :angry2:

jj

I'm a Rem 11-87 man, so my advice is based on limited personal trigger time with Benellis, and how I see other people's guns running.

The M1 seems more trouble free than the M2. I'm not sure if this was a teething issue with the new M2 design, but I have seen several go tits up, even after being worked over by competent gunsmiths. Sure the comfortech stock is nice, but I would probably shop for a used M1. If you like a pistolgrip stock, then this is usually only legal on a pre-ban M1. In any case, the PG stocks have a bad rep for malfunctioning, so you might want to look elsewhere if a PG is important to you (as it is for me).

The M4 seems very reliable, and comes with a PG, but is plagued by the 922 ( r ) compliance problem if you want to add an extended magazine tube. The original tube (4+1 ?) is totally inadequate for 3-gun, of course. I am sure you could get the parts, but it would add considerable extra cost to an already pricey gun. Oh, and the gun is gas assisted... mainly recoil operated, but with a gas boost to make it run with heavy accesories attached (bayonette, optics etc).

In summary, if you are OK with a traditional stock, consider an M1. If you want a new gun, then roll the dice with an M2. Be clear, though, that even a Benelli may need expensive gunsmithing to make it run 100% out of the box.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Seems I've seen pics of our soldiers in Iraq using the M4 to breach doorways with slugs or some mystery round. Thats gotta be a somewhat risky for the M4 trigger operator.......shooting at metal (padlocks, latchs, etc) at point blank range?

BB

There are rounds that are made to breach doors. They reduce the risk to the shooter. One I saw was a slug made by compressing powdered metal. It had enough kinetic energy to blow open a lock or know hinges off, but the round blew into powder immediatley after.

I'm a Rem 11-87 man, so my advice is based on limited personal trigger time with Benellis, and how I see other people's guns running.

The M1 seems more trouble free than the M2. I'm not sure if this was a teething issue with the new M2 design, but I have seen several go tits up, even after being worked over by competent gunsmiths. Sure the comfortech stock is nice, but I would probably shop for a used M1. If you like a pistolgrip stock, then this is usually only legal on a pre-ban M1. In any case, the PG stocks have a bad rep for malfunctioning, so you might want to look elsewhere if a PG is important to you (as it is for me).

The M4 seems very reliable, and comes with a PG, but is plagued by the 922 ( r ) compliance problem if you want to add an extended magazine tube. The original tube (4+1 ?) is totally inadequate for 3-gun, of course. I am sure you could get the parts, but it would add considerable extra cost to an already pricey gun. Oh, and the gun is gas assisted... mainly recoil operated, but with a gas boost to make it run with heavy accesories attached (bayonette, optics etc).

In summary, if you are OK with a traditional stock, consider an M1. If you want a new gun, then roll the dice with an M2. Be clear, though, that even a Benelli may need expensive gunsmithing to make it run 100% out of the box.

:rolleyes:

Hey guys,

thanks for the input. I think that I will keep my eyes open for an M1 if I can find one used at a good price. I have seen a few on gunbroker that look promising. I was not sure of the differences. The M2 is attractive for the pistol grip and one hand reloading but it sounds like the M1 is a little more reliable? Anyway, thanks again for the help. On a side note, I also looked at the Mossberg 930 models but other than a few threads on this forum have not seen a consensus on them. Too bad though, they are a lot of gun for the money. I suppose the Benelli is akin to the notion of spend the money now rather than spend more later.

Thanks and happy holidays,

cheers623

DVC

M1 or M2.

I believe the M1 is no longer made - I have one and love it!

M2 is an M1 except the the comfortec stock thingy that many feel takes some of the kick out.

Is the stock the only difference between an M1 and M2? I have an M1 and love it.

I can't talk from personal experience because I don't own a shotgun but SSG Robbie Johnson from the US ARMY Shooting Team has a video ( http://www.myoutdoortv.com/pdk/web/shootin...u85cQQt0fFcjTQ_ ) in which he recommends an M2 with a 21" barrel and a few other mods. I am sure that Benelli is paying for some sort of sponsorship but there has to be a good reason why he chose the M2 over the M4.

SSG Johnson is not sponsored by Benelli but should be (as should KurtM).

BB

***Warning**** goin off topic

Its usually either a ceramic frangible or a polymer breaching round. I know a round in particular that was designed for military/LE that is lethal and breaching. Its a handy round out to 50 yards + for urban environments. check it out if ya get bored.

Polyshok as a side note it recoils like birdshot as well. Hell of a round IMO for urban police that have a viable rifle back up for longer distances.

Get an M2 field, Comfort Tech stock, 21 or 24 inch barrel. Then, feed it Good Ammo! From personal experience, don't use the cheap Winchester 12ga. The crimp, or, lack of it, will ruin any shotguns reputation.

+1 on the M2, I ran a 11-87 for two yrs, then got the M2 field. Really like the M2, light weight, runs clean, runs reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an older stock M1, 19.25" barrel and ghost ring sights. I love it. It functions fine with the Winchester "universal" 1 1/8oz 100 rd value pack or the sometimes cheaper Winchester "super speed" 1oz loads. It also runs reduced recoil Remington slugs and 00 without problems. Some people complain about recoil, but I grew up shooting an 870 and the recoil is about the same. Mine is a keeper.

Hurley

M2 Field w/ 26" vent bbl here, which has been my upland SG for a while. Now that bird season is winding down, I'm thinking about adding a Nordic Component +5 tube to it, and using it for SC at my local club. When banging away at birds, it'll rip off all three shells in no time w/ no problem. Hope the same can be replicated with an extended tube and under the pressure of competition (like trying to hit a chukar in a downhill dive is no pressure...!)

But would really prefer a 21" bbl. Any ideas where I can get one without spending an arm/leg? Thx

PS, my vote goes for the M2. Can't comment on the M1, but my M2 has been a shooter out of the box.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a ? How much would you expect to pay for an used M1. I saw one at a local shop and was wondering what a fair price in this market would be for a used one with 19.25 barrel, it has a fiber optic front bead, vented barel, no box and one choke tube. Seemed to be in pretty good condition. They were asking 649.00 I believe. Worth th cash or keep waiting for an M2?

Thanks,

John