Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro

ebg3

I don't think you guys should let a few guns turn you away from the M&P. I have both a standard 9 and a 9Pro...

I agree. I have a Pro and a 9 full size, and they have been solid. It does sound like S&W have some QC inconsistency issues to work out, but the issues that are popping up do seem like they're fixable. (As long as S&W continue to commit to making the gun run - and even if they can't get it right, one of the many great M&P 'smiths - e.g. Mike Cyrwus, Dan Burwell, etc. - can get it running like a scalded cat!)

I wouldn't trade my Pro for any other Production gun on the market.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a single hiccup other than the slide not locking back on last round fired a few times. I haven't looked into why this might be happening yet, but I imagine I can tweak the feed lips to allow the follower to rise enough to engage the SS.

With most guns that's usually just a little too much recoil spring for the ammo. A slight bump in PF often cures it. A lot of times you'll see this when you lend a perfectly running gun to someone else and find that their grip/stance whatever is just different enough that the slide won't always lock back.

My wife's standard M&P 9 has been flawless even with really light loads. That's why the problems with the Pros are so confounding.

Having just ordered an M&P Pro yesterday I'm both excited and a little worried too :surprise:

Just ran 150 rounds of PMC 115 grain through a brand new out of the box Pro. Ran 100%.

Trigger had a lot of "grit" feel, 99% of that came from the Firing Pin Block it seems. I did a trigger polishing job on it as per Burwell's online directions, its smooth now, much better... now to get some more of the overtravel taken out.

I think I like the Med grip insert, maybe the large.... the small is to small, for me.

Overall I'm very happy with it so far.

Not a single hiccup other than the slide not locking back on last round fired a few times. I haven't looked into why this might be happening yet, but I imagine I can tweak the feed lips to allow the follower to rise enough to engage the SS.

With most guns that's usually just a little too much recoil spring for the ammo. A slight bump in PF often cures it. A lot of times you'll see this when you lend a perfectly running gun to someone else and find that their grip/stance whatever is just different enough that the slide won't always lock back.

I'm shooting 124 gr MG JHP bullets to a PF of 131 and have replaced the factory recoil system with a FLGR and 13# spring. :wacko:

I'm still VERY happy with the 2 M&P's I have.

My PRO has ran great But a guy I shoot IDPA with has had alot of problems. My only issue is the slide stop some of the time when doing mag changes the side drops sometimes it doesn't . One time it didn't stip a round and I heard that click. It has been running good the last couple matches.

Hi Eddie,

Hmmm. Real sorry about the problems you have been having. Will definitely let the product managers know. Congrats on Master class though! That's great!

Julie

Thanks Julie,

I'm interested to see how this all plays out.

Eddie

Nevermind, I found a good how to. And it was the striker block I was thinking of that needs work.

Where did you find it? Is there a good how to for working on the extractor anywhere?

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf

Thats a great guide to a trigger job... but no dice on the extractor.

From what I've ready you have to drive the Extractor roll pin out (carefully -with a press or good punch), and then hone/polish the sides of the extractor a little slimmer, so it has room to move in its slot, even dirty.

shot another match with my Pro today and I couldn't be happier. I've been shooting CZ SP-01's for a couple of years now and seem to shoot the Pro faster on every stage. I got a new CZ SP-01 Shadow, so I switched back to the CZ for a few stages and I was much slower than with the Pro, switched back to the 9 Pro and life was good. Mine has been flawless since changing out to a 13 lb. recoil spring. Trigger is great, sights are great. Only problem I have is relearning my grip because out of habit of resting my thumb on a manual safety, my thumb keeps the Pro's slide from locking back by resting on the slide release.

shot another match with my Pro today and I couldn't be happier. I've been shooting CZ SP-01's for a couple of years now and seem to shoot the Pro faster on every stage. I got a new CZ SP-01 Shadow, so I switched back to the CZ for a few stages and I was much slower than with the Pro, switched back to the 9 Pro and life was good. Mine has been flawless since changing out to a 13 lb. recoil spring. Trigger is great, sights are great. Only problem I have is relearning my grip because out of habit of resting my thumb on a manual safety, my thumb keeps the Pro's slide from locking back by resting on the slide release.

what are you seeing as the differences between the two?? I have just started playing with a M&P and am interested in your opinion on the two platforms..thanks

Even though my full-sized, .40 would run 100% with my Glock, "gamer" loads (128pf), I tried to run some of my 9mm, "gamer" loads through my new Pro and they don't have enough power to lock the slide back, and sometimes, won't run the slide back far enough to run.

When I get some time, I plan to try it with a lighter recoil spring. I'm assuming that all will be good.

Nevermind, I found a good how to. And it was the striker block I was thinking of that needs work.

Where did you find it? Is there a good how to for working on the extracton anywhere?

That's the same guide I found. My rear sight is in too tight and I can't get it out without a sight tool (without damaging anything anyways).

Even though my full-sized, .40 would run 100% with my Glock, "gamer" loads (128pf), I tried to run some of my 9mm, "gamer" loads through my new Pro and they don't have enough power to lock the slide back, and sometimes, won't run the slide back far enough to run.

When I get some time, I plan to try it with a lighter recoil spring. I'm assuming that all will be good.

S&W says the stock recoil spring is 15#, but I find it to be much heavier than an ISMI 15#er. IMO, an aftermarket non-captured recoil spring/guide rod is a must for the M&P (preferably about 13# for 128-130pf range)

By the way, did you chrono your 128pf Glock load through your M&P? I've found stock M&P barrels to be a bit slow, so it's possible that this load wouldn't even make minor in your M&P... and anything that slow probably wouldn't function reliably

I ran another flawless 6 stages today with my M&P PRO...

147gr Zeros at 900 fps.

13lb ISMI Spring on a non-captured overlength SS rod, and a chamber polish...

Well... the gun was flawless... the shooter had a few issues...

LOL

Jeff

Where did you find it? Is there a good how to for working on the extracton anywhere?

That's the same guide I found. My rear sight is in too tight and I can't get it out without a sight tool (without damaging anything anyways).

goose it up with a little 3 in 1 oil and let it sit a couple days; it will come out much easier.

I have 2 M&P 9's: a full size bought when they first came out, and a Pro I've had a few months. The full size has been flawless with everything I've fed it, even some old PMC 115 grain factory which doesn't make minor and chokes my G34. The Pro, however, seems to be ammo sensitive. It runs perfectly with my 132 pf match ammo but FTF/FTE's with anything weaker. Both are stock, a lighter recoil spring might make the Pro run better. By the way, the trigger is actually better in the full size than the Pro. At some point I'll get the Pro in for trigger work and go with a 13lbs spring. I'm sticking with the G34 as my match gun for this season, mainly because I have a bag full of spare parts and even a mechanical idiot like me can fix it.

I used an aluminum Dawson punch to drive out the sight, little stiff at first, but no worries. And you must drive it out from the left side of gun to right side of gun. Tried to remove the rest of my overtravel one more time... got it about as good as I can hope for. Put another 100 rounds or so thorugh it yesterday in a 3-gun match, ran 100%. I'm starting to dig this gun. (although holding it in the rain is like to trying to grab a stick of butter! Hello grip tape, next mod!)

Just wanted to chime in. I got a pro about 3 weeks ago. Bought it used, with, the owner said, 50 rounds through it. It looked like new.

Anyway, first few mags with the stock spring in it, only about 1 in 5 extracted, with my minor loads. Swapped to tungsten guide rod with 13 lb ISMI spring, runs like a champ. Put about 300 rounds of minor and 50 of remington UMC so far.

Trigger in mine was crisp at 4lbs, with a little bit of overtravel. Switched to wolff reduced power striker got it down to about 3 1/4lbs. I then did some of the Burwell modifications, and took out all over travel, now breaking at 2lbs 14 ounces. I could actually get it a little lower, but not going to right now.

Odd note, I switched out a modified sear assembly I had from a M&P .40 I sold, and put it in my standard M&P 9, to use as a back up to my pro. Out of the first two mags, I think only 2 rounds ejected. I then realized that when I switched out sears, I did not put an ejector back in :wacko:

I was pretty impressed that it actually ejected a couple of rounds without an ejector!!

I plan on shooting the Pro exclusively after the single stack nationals, and will post my results. I'll try to keep a round count on it also, altough I'm not very good on such things.

Trigger had a lot of "grit" feel, 99% of that came from the Firing Pin Block it seems. I did a trigger polishing job on it as per Burwell's online directions, its smooth now...

My M&P and M&P pro were both gritty. Polishing and rounding the FP block did wonders.

I've had a Pro for about six months and have shot four matches with it. Add to that quite a bit of range time. At first it wouldn't run with my match loads (147 gr at 129 pf) but as soon as I put a 13 lb ISMI recoil spring on a steel guide rod it has just hummed.

Why is it so suprising to everyone that a gun with a heavy 5" slide has issues extracting ammo at mouse-fart power factors???

Same issues with 6" 1911's... Get a 6" 45-Super??? No problems.

Any gun with a standard recoil spring and a heavy slide will have issues with underpowered ammo. Either up the velocity, or reduce the spring... It's basic physics...

Shoot a bone-stock PRO with WWB or more powerful, and it runs fine...

Add a non-captured rod, and a 13# spring... shoot anything you want.

My 2 cents...

JW

Why is it so suprising to everyone that a gun with a heavy 5" slide has issues extracting ammo at mouse-fart power factors???

Same issues with 6" 1911's... Get a 6" 45-Super??? No problems.

Any gun with a standard recoil spring and a heavy slide will have issues with underpowered ammo. Either up the velocity, or reduce the spring... It's basic physics...

Shoot a bone-stock PRO with WWB or more powerful, and it runs fine...

Add a non-captured rod, and a 13# spring... shoot anything you want.

My 2 cents...

JW

I would have hoped so. Since adding a non-captured guide rod (tungsten) and a 13# recoil spring I have had four FTEs over maybe 350 rounds (some practice and a match, yikes) with my mouse fart loads. 124g RN plated over 4.0 titegroup. I'll up my charge a little and continue to watch this thread for insight. The Pro is a good gun to shoot production so I hope this gets resolved.