Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro

ebg3

Got the extractor out today, took a little off the pad below the hook and installed an additional sprig in the factory ext. spring. This added a lot more tension...just got back from practice(200rds) and could not make it fail. I hope I've got it fixed. We'll see <_< .

Strange, I had to do this with the Steyr M40 I had. I cut off a Colt 1911 plunger spring and stuck it inside of the extractor spring, and the gun ran 100% until I traded it on my M&P40.

I've got about 2k rounds through my box-stock M&P9 full size, and it has yet to do anything but work, with one magazine-related exception. I run my 9x19 ammo around 135 PF - I wonder if that might have something to do with it?

Maybe, The problems I've had have been with WWB 115gr, Rem. 115gr, and 124gr fmj reloads with vv330 powder and greendot. I think all these loads are 127-132pf. I tried some +++P reloads that worked fine but I only shot a few. Anyway, I think the problem is fixed.

Sandro,

I have a multi-spring pack from Brownells and chose and cut one that would fit inside the factory spring. It seems to have added at least 25% more tension to the extractor.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the extractor out today, took a little off the pad below the hook and installed an additional sprig in the factory ext. spring. This added a lot more tension...just got back from practice(200rds) and could not make it fail. I hope I've got it fixed. We'll see <_< .

Strange, I had to do this with the Steyr M40 I had. I cut off a Colt 1911 plunger spring and stuck it inside of the extractor spring, and the gun ran 100% until I traded it on my M&P40.

I've got about 2k rounds through my box-stock M&P9 full size, and it has yet to do anything but work, with one magazine-related exception. I run my 9x19 ammo around 135 PF - I wonder if that might have something to do with it?

Maybe, The problems I've had have been with WWB 115gr, Rem. 115gr, and 124gr fmj reloads with vv330 powder and greendot. I think all these loads are 127-132pf. I tried some +++P reloads that worked fine but I only shot a few. Anyway, I think the problem is fixed.

Sandro,

I have a multi-spring pack from Brownells and chose and cut one that would fit inside the factory spring. It seems to have added at least 25% more tension to the extractor.

good deal, thanks.

A little scary to would be buyers that the shooters have to fix what S&W cannot.

More disappointing than anything else. I wonder if they would eventually fix the problem if the gun was sent back over and over. BTW, I never got a call back about the gun when I left a message with S&W...they must be too busy. I'll keep shooting this gun and would recommend it to someone for production but tell them they have to have the extractor fixed for it to work properly. I've heard from a few people with these guns that have not had any problems, YET. I wonder when they'll fail? At a match maybe?

S&W, FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

A little scary to would be buyers that the shooters have to fix what S&W cannot.

More disappointing than anything else. I wonder if they would eventually fix the problem if the gun was sent back over and over. BTW, I never got a call back about the gun when I left a message with S&W...they must be too busy. I'll keep shooting this gun and would recommend it to someone for production but tell them they have to have the extractor fixed for it to work properly. I've heard from a few people with these guns that have not had any problems, YET. I wonder when they'll fail? At a match maybe?

S&W, FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

I've put over 5000 rounds through mine. I did have to polish the chamber at about 500 rounds to solve the FTE problem, but since then its been flawless. I've got a Storm Lake Barrel coming. We'll see if that makes any difference.

Eddie-

Sounds like you're set! :cheers: I've got two. Had one stick a case so tight in the chamber while shooting a match at Ant Hill that I had to pry it out with a knife. After polishing the chambers, I haven't had any extraction problems in 3000 rounds.

How is yours for accuracy? Group shooting, both of mine will consistently shoot two or three tight and then one or two out about about an inch or two with both 147s and 125s and with different powders. <_<

Wilkenstein-

I used 400 grit wet/dry in a slotted rod spun in a lathe.

Doug-

I'm using an 11lb recoil spring. I've got a couple of SL barrels on the way. KKM says they won't have theirs ready for about 3 months.

Edited by Shadow

Eddie-

Sounds like you're set! :cheers: I've got two. Had one stick a case so tight in the chamber while shooting a match at Ant Hill that I had to pry it out with a knife. After polishing the chambers, I haven't had any extraction problems in 3000 rounds.

How is yours for accuracy? Group shooting, both of mine will consistently shoot two or three tight and then one or two out about about an inch or two with both 147s and 125s and with different powders. <_<

Although I haven't shot my pro much yet, I'm getting the same thing. Mine's 100% stock. :surprise:

well, I guess I could add that the recent M&P Pros seem to be shooting lights out as far as accuracy. Today I just shot a 5 shot 1.5" group offhand at 25yds with some 115gr stuff. More of the earlier ones were a little looser and you needed to do some tweaks to get decent groups.

well, I guess I could add that the recent M&P Pros seem to be shooting lights out as far as accuracy. Today I just shot a 5 shot 1.5" group offhand at 25yds with some 115gr stuff. More of the earlier ones were a little looser and you needed to do some tweaks to get decent groups.

Are you willing to share any of your tweaking secrets? My 9L isn't very accurate, which is why I ordered the SL barrel.

My Pro is more accurate with hotter jhp loads...I don't test groups anymore, I just shoot it! I polished my chamber several times with my Dremel and a small felt wheel with fine rouge and it never worked. When it went back to S&W for sevice, I was led to beleave they polished the chamber and that did not work. Now polishing with 400 grit paper, actually openning up the chamber... The real problem is with the extractor, not the chamber. Increasing ext. tension seems to have done the trick. Time will tell.

EG

Are you willing to share any of your tweaking secrets? My 9L isn't very accurate, which is why I ordered the SL barrel.

Yes; it involves a TIG welder, or a call to storm lake. You picked the easy, cheaper, and better choice; until someone comes out with a oversized barrel.

You can play around with loads too, and make sure you are firm on your grip.

If the spent casing is loose in the chamber, the gun might be trying to unlock while still under pressure. Sometimes the fix for this is a heavier recoil spring to keep the gun closed a little longer. Years ago my agency used 5906's and we constantly broke extractors because of premature unlock. I know that stiffer springs = more torque, but you might give it a try. I'd check your primers for firing pin drag marks, which can be another indicator of unlocking under pressure. Sometimes we can mask this problem with heavier extractor springs, but we're really just stressing the part and asking for failure. This kind of thing also leads to wear on the extractor spring. The ultimate fix is better barrel fit. You may need to look at an aftermarket bbl with more "dwell" or having your factory barrel welded to extend the time it's locked to the slide (often a gunsmith can do this pretty easy).

-MB

If the spent casing is loose in the chamber, the gun might be trying to unlock while still under pressure. Sometimes the fix for this is a heavier recoil spring to keep the gun closed a little longer. Years ago my agency used 5906's and we constantly broke extractors because of premature unlock. I know that stiffer springs = more torque, but you might give it a try. I'd check your primers for firing pin drag marks, which can be another indicator of unlocking under pressure. Sometimes we can mask this problem with heavier extractor springs, but we're really just stressing the part and asking for failure. This kind of thing also leads to wear on the extractor spring. The ultimate fix is better barrel fit. You may need to look at an aftermarket bbl with more "dwell" or having your factory barrel welded to extend the time it's locked to the slide (often a gunsmith can do this pretty easy).

-MB

I'm on hold with S&W while I'm typing this...I think the guns should work as they come from the factory. I don't think getting an after market barrel is the solution. I wonder if S&W will fix this?

Oh boy! I think I was talking to the wrong service guy. When I said I had 4 FTE's out of 200 rounds, he seemed to think that was OK and that "I'm not sure what your expectations are..." I replied I expect the gun to work! I really had to work at keeping calm and remaining polite. I was also told that this is not an issue with the M&P! Uh...I must be exceptional. :unsure: I did talk him into sending me an extractor and spring-we'll see if I get it.

The gun has not failed to extract since I worked on it but I did have a couple of times that it was slow into battery or stopped just short of lockup because my extractor is now too tight! All of this is a result of my initial problem! I have polished and tweaked the ext. since saturday's match so hopefully I am good to go. I just want this problem to be acknowledged by S&W and a solution given. My service "tech" also said that if they function fire the gun and it appears to be OK it gets sent back. I think this is what really made me happy :angry2: ...I figured they sent my gun back to me the first time without doing anything to it. I'm growing tired of this.

EG