Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro

ebg3

My brand new M&P Pro (300 rounds) had extraction issues as soon as I ran it hot and dirty past 100 rounds in a USPSA match. It was leaving empties in the chamber.

I had the chamber, and feedramp professionally polished, and I've had no issues since, but I HAVEN'T run it past about 100 rounds...

I'm getting a reloading press this week, and I was looking to load this gun DOWN for USPSA.

Please let me know if the softer spring helps, but I assume it will recoil a bit harder with a softer spring too...

Looks like I'll be checking back after X-Mas. My next match is Dec29th.

JeffWard

I've polished my chamber twice and it seems the problem is still there, just not as bad. I have not had any problems with factory ammo but I don't shoot much of it. I'll post when I get my lighter springs. I'm waiting on them to decide whether or not to send the gun back, I have my return shipping label printed out and ready to go.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a SS guide rod today and an 11 and 13 lb spring. Shot both springs and prefer the 13lb with my current load. Ran 200 rounds with 0 malfunctions. I've shot 800 rounds without any cleaning and these last 200 ran great. I've got a match tomorrow...we'll see if it works. If any malfs, it's going back to S&W Monday.

EG

Just got back from shooting a match with the M&P Pro. The gun ran great with the 13lb spring with zero malfunctions. It looks like the 13lb spring has solved my FTE's. I don't think I'll have to send it back to S&W afterall. If anyone else has had problems with failures to extract, you may want to try increasing your power factor or try a non captured guide rod with a 13lb ISMI flat-wound spring. I'll keep shooting and post if any problems reoccur.

...try a non captured guide rod with a 13lb ISMI flat-wound spring...

What brand of guide rod are you using for the replacement?

I'm not sure, I got the springs and rod from Speed Shooter's Specialties. I bought the standard length stainless guide rod, I think it was $15. The 11lb spring worked but I couldn't feel much difference b/n it and the 13 so I opted for the heavier one. The 11 seemed to come out of battery too easy-with a lighter striker spring, the 11 should work great.

I gave the gun a thorough cleaning today after shooting 1000 rds or so through it(without cleaning). Maybe it will keep working :rolleyes: .

Edited by ebg3

UPDATE:

Gun started failing to extract again, of course at a match. It is boxed up waiting to be shipped back to S&W in the morning. I'm through trying to solve this problem, sure hope they can fix it.

EG

I shot my M&P Pro at a match yesterday and it ran flawlessly with the 13 lb. recoil spring, about 200 rounds. I really like it. Only weird thing is that the Pro's slide felt much slower in cycling than my CZ SP-01 9mm with an 18 lb recoil spring, shooting the same ammo in both (125 gr. lead pushing 1070 fps, 133 PF).

Edited by hartzpad

I shot my M&P Pro at a match yesterday and it ran flawlessly with the 13 lb. recoil spring, about 200 rounds. I really like it. Only weird thing is that the Pro's slide felt much slower in cycling than my CZ SP-01 9mm with an 18 lb recoil spring, shooting the same ammo in both (125 gr. lead pushing 1070 fps, 133 PF).

I like the way the 13lb spring feels too. A friend has a Pro that he's shot over 1500rds through with no malfunctions. He's now using a 13lb spring and really likes it.

Probably nothing you don't alredy know, but pull your aftermarket parts out of the pistol before you send it back. From what I understand, S&W like most makers return the pistol to stock when they work on it, and you'll get stock parts back. Bye bye new guiderod and recoil spring.

Hope they get this worked out for you, love my Pro so far. I'm about 850 trouble free rounds into it, and waiting on my new guiderod and 13 lb spring to come in.

Edited by kwrangln

Gun is on the way back to S&W. I was told by S&W to include instructions not to replace fire control parts and they wouldn't...we'll see. At this point, I don't care what they replace as long as they fix the problem. I did install old guide rod/spring.

EG

• 2 weeks later...

Got my M&P back today, too late to shoot. I can't tell what was done to it. I tried to call and find out what was repaired but it was after 5:00. I'll shoot it this weekend...hopefully it is fixed! :cheers:

• 1 month later...

I'm Back! Just got back from the Fla Open and decided to get the M&P out to shoot Production. Well, after firing 200rds, I had 5 failures to extract. FTE's just like I was having before I sent the gun to Smith for repair. I guess I'll be talking to someone at S&W to try to resolve this problem. Anybody want to buy a M&P Pro with a DO holster and 7 mags?! :rolleyes:

If you have access to another MP that is working ok......I would pull the slides off and slide a case under the extractor rim and use the MK 11 eyeball and see if there is any discernable difference between the two....There may be something to the chamber being rough. If the cases that were left in the chamber have a big chunk taken out of the case rim then the extractor may be fine, but the chamber could be the problem......

Good luck, keep at it, and let us know what you find out!

DougC

There are four guns within our club, three Ls and one Pro. All of them do fail to extract from time to time. We did polish the chamber, but I think the issue is related to lack of tension on the extractor. I am considering sending mine back, but I am not sure what they will do, unless they have a new extractor design or maybe another spring to add more tension.

There are four guns within our club, three Ls and one Pro. All of them do fail to extract from time to time. We did polish the chamber, but I think the issue is related to lack of tension on the extractor. I am considering sending mine back, but I am not sure what they will do, unless they have a new extractor design or maybe another spring to add more tension.

I'm hearing about this problem with a lot of these guns. Mine has been back once to repair this...I'm sure they'll fix it this time. :cheers:

EG

Got the extractor out today, took a little off the pad below the hook and installed an additional sprig in the factory ext. spring. This added a lot more tension...just got back from practice(200rds) and could not make it fail. I hope I've got it fixed. We'll see <_< .

Got the extractor out today, took a little off the pad below the hook and installed an additional sprig in the factory ext. spring. This added a lot more tension...just got back from practice(200rds) and could not make it fail. I hope I've got it fixed. We'll see <_< .

where did you get the double spring from?

Strange, I had to do this with the Steyr M40 I had. I cut off a Colt 1911 plunger spring and stuck it inside of the extractor spring, and the gun ran 100% until I traded it on my M&P40.

I've got about 2k rounds through my box-stock M&P9 full size, and it has yet to do anything but work, with one magazine-related exception. I run my 9x19 ammo around 135 PF - I wonder if that might have something to do with it?