Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro

ebg3

Shot my new M&P Pro yesterday at a match and after 3 stages I started having failures to extract. The fired case was being left in the chamber and when I dropped the mag and racked the slide, it would come out fine. When it FTE, it was close to the end of the stage after the barrel heated up. I have polished the chamber a little bit, because what I read here before, but it still FTE. To me, the extractor tension is too light. I need to take it out and clean it and install a heavier spring. Is there any special trick to removing the pin that holds the extractor in? I tried tapping it out and got zero movement. Does it have to be knocked out from the top or bottom, or does it matter? Any help will be appreciated. At this point, I see no need to send it back to S&W. I feel like I can fix it myself.

Thanks.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats exactly what was wrong with mine. Sent it to Smith but would rather have fixed it my self. They were not specific but it looks like they honed the sides of the extractor a little bit. In other words it was not spring tension but the extractor itself dragging that caused the problem

Intrested in how to remove it when somebody post. You might want to look at this link too http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

Boats

S&W uses a hydrolic press to press the pin so as you may guess it is very hard to get out. You want to put the slide down on a hard surface, use a 1/16 steel punch, big hammer, and from the top drive the pin out the bottom of the slide. I would highly recomend cutting a 1/16 punch short to use as a starter punch otherwise you will likely bend the punch before you get any movement of the pin. You may or may not be able to reuse the pin when you are all done if not I bought some roll pins from mcmaster carr that work very well.

Good luck,

Dan

S&W uses a hydrolic press to press the pin so as you may guess it is very hard to get out. You want to put the slide down on a hard surface, use a 1/16 steel punch, big hammer, and from the top drive the pin out the bottom of the slide. I would highly recomend cutting a 1/16 punch short to use as a starter punch otherwise you will likely bend the punch before you get any movement of the pin. You may or may not be able to reuse the pin when you are all done if not I bought some roll pins from mcmaster carr that work very well.

Good luck,

Dan

Thanks for the help. I figured the pin was pressed in. I'll give it another try if I have to. I took the barrel out this morning and using extra fine jewelers rouge put the mirror polish on the chamber. The extractor looks like it's making good contact and I can't see needing to alter it any other than maybe a heavier spring. I'm heading out to shoot it now. I'll post results.

Thats exactly what was wrong with mine. Sent it to Smith but would rather have fixed it my self. They were not specific but it looks like they honed the sides of the extractor a little bit. In other words it was not spring tension but the extractor itself dragging that caused the problem

Intrested in how to remove it when somebody post. You might want to look at this link too http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

Boats

Thanks, I'll look at the extractor again.

OK, here's an update. Cleaned gun went out and shot. After 125 rounds or so, FTE! Did it several more times. Evidently, after enough fouling build up occurs it will FTE. It seems to start after 125-150 rounds. The load is a 124 fmj at a little under 1100 fps.

I bought two 1/16" punches and cut one short to try and knock the ext. pin out. It just kept breaking. evidently a hardened punch won't work. This really sucks and I'm starting to get discouraged. I like to be able to disassemble my guns to clean them completely from time to time...not with this one. I hate to send it back to S&W because I already polished the trigger and have it the way I want it. I know they will replace the polished parts. Any advice???

Thanks, EG.

You can try ordering the right sized punches from Starrett. You can get them at Brownells, Midway, and a host of other places as well.......

Good luck, keep at it!

DougC

Yeah, I really need a punch a little bigger than 1/16". I'm calling S&W in the morning to resolve this.

Thanks,

EG

I seen several of these guns have this kind of failure. However most of time racking the slide would not remove the stuck case.

The would do it more often with Wolf steel case and hand loads. Seems the shoulder in the chamber that it suppose to head space on was little big and rounds were camming pass and locking themselves in after the round fired.

New barrels fixed the problems.

I started an almost identical thread a few weeks ago. Same problem, just like 2 other guys I shoot with. FTE about every 50 rounds. Sent it back ot S&W with their address label. It came back in about 10 days. Shot it in practice about 125 rounds with no problem. Cleaned the barrel and chamber, then went to a match this weekend, and on the second stage another FTE.

This is obviously a common problem with the S&W Pro. The solution as I understand it is to have the extractor tweaked or replaced (apparently there is a new one that S&W will install), polish the chamber or get an after-market barrel, AND possibly replace the extractor spring with a stronger one (or double it up). I do not understand the specifics of the spring thing, but I have heard it is necessary on some guns and requires some gunsmithing. Looks like I have one of those guns.

The Pro is a great gun in concept, but S&W needs to admit the problem and fix it.

Mine is again going back to S&W with a stern letter. We will see how that goes.

• 2 weeks later...
I will be calling s&w tommorrow, I did everything I have read on here , and once it gets a few rounds through it it still fells to eject, and I have shot around 1000 rounds through it just hoping it needed broke in

Have you solved your problem yet? I just got back in town and I still don't have a return label to ship mine back to S&W. I guess I'll be on the phone with them tomorrow.

I shot yesterday with a friend who has over 1000rds through his new Pro with no problems. I shot mine with some hotter ammo and it seemed to work fine. I'm increasing my charge and will shoot 200 rds today to see if it makes a difference. My problems might be occuring because of light loads and a recoil spring that's made for +p+++ ammo :unsure: .

I shot yesterday with a friend who has over 1000rds through his new Pro with no problems. I shot mine with some hotter ammo and it seemed to work fine. I'm increasing my charge and will shoot 200 rds today to see if it makes a difference. My problems might be occuring because of light loads and a recoil spring that's made for +p+++ ammo :unsure: .

Switching my stock 16 lb. recoil spring to a 13 lb. made my Pro 100% reliable with my reloads. Much more positive ejection as well.

Just back from shooting 200rds. I increased my load by 0.2gr and only had 1 FTE. I think I'm on the right track with using a heavier load and reducing the recoil spring. I'm ordering an 11lb and a 13lb spring tonight to try...hopefully the gun won't have to go back to Smith. I'll keep posting.

EG

My brand new M&P Pro (300 rounds) had extraction issues as soon as I ran it hot and dirty past 100 rounds in a USPSA match. It was leaving empties in the chamber.

I had the chamber, and feedramp professionally polished, and I've had no issues since, but I HAVEN'T run it past about 100 rounds...

I'm getting a reloading press this week, and I was looking to load this gun DOWN for USPSA.

Please let me know if the softer spring helps, but I assume it will recoil a bit harder with a softer spring too...

Looks like I'll be checking back after X-Mas. My next match is Dec29th.

JeffWard

Edited by JeffWard