Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New folding knife recommendations?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the Gerbers to be made of low quality steel that wouldnt hold an edge for squat. After some research I bought the D2 tool steel Benchmade Griptilian from Cabelas and have been very pleased. It is still razor sharp after a couple months of use.

[thread drift]

What do people use to keep working knives in decent shape? Stones? Gizmos?

I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker. works very well. I have the Diamond stones to reprofile or remove chips, then the corse, fine and ulta fine stones. I find touch up sharpening takes on a few seconds

Another vote for the Kershaw "onion series". I own several others from Spiderco, Benchmade, Gerber, and buck. The Kershaw knives are my favorite. Many but not all Kershaw knives are Made in the USA, if that is important to you check the blade carefully before you purchase.

Love my Ken Kershaw Blur. Feel of grip and balance great! Available in straight, serrated, or Tanto. Also, needed to replace pocket clip and customer service was unbelievable. Lists for about $100, but can be had if you search for about $65. Would buy again and again.

I like the SOG Flash II. Nice edge, fairly thin, light, good grip, Fast assisted opening and a pocket clip that leaves the knife totally concealed and less likely to work it's way out of your pocket if you are bending over a lot. Great customer service whenI did something stupid and broke the clip. Shop around $40 or less. Several sizes and serrated or not available.

Edited by bwit

I like my Benchmade Elishewitz with "axis lock" for general carry. To be politically correct at school I carry a lightweight Al MarTalon. I would have to know you really well to cut you with my Sebenza.

regards

Les

Check out the super knives. Basically they are a folding utility knife. They are reasonably inexpensive, the blade is easy to change and replace so it will always be sharp, and you won't cry when it breaks or you lose it. I picked one up at a match and love it.

+1 for the SuperKnife. A friend of mine gave me one for building him a new computer and that thing is great for opening boxes, cutting that nylon strapping stuff, anything like that. If push comes to shove, well, unfortunately we know what you can do with a utility knife. :(

Sebenza, not cheap, but probably the last knife you will buy. As a matter of fact because I just got a sebbie I have a few for sale. Blade tech mlek, spyderco military,and a buck strider.

I had one, the frame lock failed. I won't get another cheap knife with either a liner or frame lock, they just are not dependable and will fail at the worst time.

They have a life-time warranty, all you have is send it back to Gerber.... What do you mean the worst time ... Its just a pocket knife

Edited by TheBlackSheep

Yes, for even a halfway decent knife you absolutely have to use a Lansky diamond sharpening system or something like it - there are a couple of other brands. It keeps the edge looking nice, very sharp and at the same angle it was designed to be. For a number of years I did't use any kind of angle guide and became severely displeased with my knife, the steel it's made of, etc. When I realized how far off the angle had gotten over a period of time I bought a diamond guided sharpening system. I am now quite happy with my knife [knives]. They are sharp like they should be and the edge lasts longer. You only need 2 or 3 diamond hones [medium and fine] and the guide system, not 6 hones like they try to sell you. The diamond is far superior to the stones and is worth far more than the little extra it costs. It makes sharpening faster, easier and less messy. You'll be glad you bought it each time you use it. Touch up takes a few minutes.

They have a life-time warranty, all you have is send it back to Gerber.... What do you mean the worst time ... Its just a pocket knife
Maybe a herd of corrugated boxes was attacking him when it broke ? ? ? ?

I was attacked by drywall :o .... the Gerber failed during a Serrada / Escrima class. We were using cheap knives, practicing cuts against a wall. :sight:

Edited by Supermoto

I have to throw my hat in the ring for the Super Knife: but I also cary a Benchmade Mel Pardue plain edge drop point axis lock (can't remember #), a Leatherman Wave and a CRKT Guppy. Not always at once tho :roflol:

• 1 month later...
I have Benchmade autos, Kershaw and CRKT but the one I most often have in my pocket for a working day to day knife is a Buck Folding Hunter.

I decided on the Leatherman 303 semi serrated... 25yr for $25... works for me and I like how it opens. I looked at the Bucks, but was turned off by the word China on all of the knives. :o I go out of my way to by USA.

Edited by JThompson

Benchmade 960SLV Osborne

Benchmade 960 Link

That's a little bit pricey for me bro.... nice knife tho

I saw this one at Bass Pro and was absolutely in love. I did find it online for about half of list price and am pondering whether I need a new one (Can you believe that the wife thinks that 7 is enough?). Is it too early to hope that Santa will be kind this year?

...Can you believe that the wife thinks that 7 is enough?...

You only have 7?!?!

Precisely why I need more! Sure I've got a different one for each day of the week, but what if one were to break? Actually, the better approach might be to phrase it as an "Accessory". She seems to be big on accessorizing her outfits.

• 4 months later...
I am looking for a new folding knife for daily cary, nothing ramboesque just a good decent size for cutting rope, boxes, anything like that. Would prefer something with a speady opening.

If you're still looking or not happy with the one you found.... While at the Shot Show, I found a great knife company Tops Knives. I was so impressed, I became a dealer. When you get a chance, check them out on my site.