Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

E-Clip on Dillon 40 S&W Resize and Decap Die

I just received a 1000 rounds of lead and a couple hundred rounds into it. I heard this load pop that did not sound right. So I started looking around my bench and found the e-clip broken in half. Has anyone had one of these break?????

I run dillon sizing/depriming dies in all calibers. My 9mm die breaks the e-clip every 3-5K rounds. I've never broken any of the other e-clips in any other caliber.

I ordered up a half dozen of them with my last dillon order and that should last me a while.

Thanx everyone for the replies. Ok I just wanted to make sure. I would drive up to Dillon, but that's a 45 min. drive one way from my house. With the price of gas I DON'T THINK SO. I found some at Lowes.

Thanx again

Jeff

• 1 year later...

I revived this thread to add that the size of the E-clip is 5/16" in case anyone needs to go to Lowe's/Home Depot and forgets to bring a broken one... :unsure:

ETA: 1/4 (as I saw in other threads) also works, but mine measured 5/16. I guess close enough...?

Edited by Surge

Mine broke and I called Dillon and requested to purchase a replacement and some spares, but they ended up just sending me a couple of freebies. I did suggest that they include one in the 550 spare parts kit, but I don't know if that will happen.

Question for the guys that have broken the e-clip on their decapping die, is there a wave washer under the e-clip on your die? My buddy just broke one on his 9mm die and when he found some replacements he brought one over for me as a spare. When we looked at my die he said that his didn't have the wave washer that is present on my die. My dies are much older though. Thanks.

I revived this thread to add that the size of the E-clip is 5/16" in case anyone needs to go to Lowe's/Home Depot and forgets to bring a broken one... :unsure:

ETA: 1/4 (as I saw in other threads) also works, but mine measured 5/16. I guess close enough...?

When I e-mailed Dillon today, I was told 1/4 is the size to get.

I discovered the clip from the .38 Special dies I'd bought used was missing the clip, and my 9mm die's clip was cracked.

Fortunately the old style stem works, so I cannibalized an older set.

• 6 years later...

Here is a thread back from the graveyard. This morning, I was loading along and all of a sudden, the press jammed on the downstroke like I had let a 50 BMG sneak into the 650. I look at station 1 and the decap pin retainer is stuck on the case rim. The E-clip broke and let the pin assy fall down toward the case. I pulled the decap assy out of another tool head and finished the task at hand.

I called Dillon and they are going to send out some more clips with an additional washer that is supposed to mitigate this failure. Does anybody know about this washer? Post 17 above says that a washer is obsolete!

Thanks,

Chuck

PS: FWIW I was loading 9 mm.

Most of this is an old post, so I'll address this to the last couple posters: do you lube your cases when resizing or run them w/o lube?

I use one-shot. Why make your life harder?

But my original question stands: Is the wave washer still being used/being used again on Dillon decap assys? The newest stuff that I have is probably 10 years old so I have no clue what is currently used. The Dillon guy I talked to said he was going to send some mumble washers that are supposed to mitigate breakage of the E-Clip. I asked him to repeat the name but my old deaf ears just could not make out what the mumble word was.

This is not a huge concern to me since this was the first one that ever broke in at least 15 years. So if the washer defers the clip failure, I should be dead before the next one goes. :roflol: