Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many matches do you shoot per month?

-JQ-

As I'm getting rather addicted to this sport, I'm trying to figure out an affordable pace...affordable, not just in money, but burnout as well. Right now I would like to compete every weekend but that would quickly take its toll for $ure.

Thanks.

Matches available every weekend within a 1.75 to 3.5 hr. drive. With other demands on time and resources (i.e. cost of gas and ammo components), I shoot with the two clubs that are within 2 hrs. drive each month. But the weather ain't been cooperating this year...soaked range means no match at one club. Throttle back a little during the hottest summer months when the pain outweighs the fun B)

I'm lucky to have a sheriff's range available within 10 minutes of home for practice twice a week, if I like.

Over the past year or so, I'm finding I enjoy the matches, the competition and the people, but without the "all you can eat buffet" shooting obsession that is natural when you first dive in to the sport. Maybe that's why I'm still in C class :lol:

How about a check box for less than one a month?

Here in Moses Lake we have a "club".....of two shooters.

We run two and now three larger matches a year. ( An excellent and well attended Multigun match, a practical shotgun match and now the WA state Steel Challenge).

Not enough local interest (workers) to put in effort required to set-up and run monthly matches.

The closest match other than that is 1.5 hours away generally on weekends that I work.

The next closest is 2.5 hours and then 4 hours.

Such is life.

Patrick

I'm averaging 3 matches a week. Sometimes I wonder if some of that time might be better spent practicing, but I do that too, and the matches are a lot more fun, and I think I learn a lot. When I started out last year I just did one match a week and it just wasn't enough. I can't see burning out (at least not physically) on that schedule.

I'm shooting mainly 2 a month right now --- but that restriction is due mostly to the time required by nursing school. Any less, and I don't relax enough; any more and I don't work enough.....

I'm looking forward to that changing a little after graduation.....

I could shoot a match a week and do a practice night a week with no problem. When it comes to burnout being a club officer and helping set up and take down matches and etc. are a big cause.

Richard

PS: Been there, done that...now I just help where needed without a specific job.

While I can shoot a match every weekend within an hours drive, life has been interrupting me a lot lately. Hopefully, I can get that squared away and get back to shooting more. June and July are bad months because the 2nd Weekend (Saturday) match and the 3rd Weekend (Sunday) match end up on the same weekend (2nd Sat and 3rd Sun) which means the 3rd weekend ends up free. And the Wildlife Club, located less than 10 miles from the house, has just started up an IDPA club on the 2nd Sat as well. Now if they will just do a USPSA Club and on the 3rd Sat, life will be good.

8-10 actually, so I checked 5+. Every Saturday and Sunday. Only weather cancellations which are few in Texas will stop me. Usually IDPA & USPSA on Saturdays. Steel matches on Sundays. I may have to drive up to 2.5 hours to find a match, but find one I will.

I help set up 3 locally and MD and shoot two of those. The rest of the time I'm on the road travelling to adopted clubs.

ETA: detail

Edited by Steve J

Two a month for me. Four practice sessions a month. A fair amount of time put in helping run the club. It could be quite a bit more, but I have family who don't shoot to consider.

8-10 actually, so I checked 5+. Every Saturday and Sunday. Only weather cancellations which are few in Texas will stop me. Usually IDPA & USPSA on Saturdays. Steel matches on Sundays. I may have to drive up to 2.5 hours to find a match, but find one I will.

I help set up 3 locally and MD and shoot two of those. The rest of the time I'm on the road travelling to adopted clubs.

That's why Steve J is quickly becoming a SS GOD!!

Steve, when I retire in a few years I'll be right there with ya buddy - EVERY Saturday and Sunday - that's my goal.

Doug

That's why Steve J is quickly becoming a SS GOD!!

Steve, when I retire in a few years I'll be right there with ya buddy - EVERY Saturday and Sunday - that's my goal.

Doug

Just don’t have Kids or re-marry. You’ll have plenty of time.

Opppps did I say that out loud. :ph34r:

On the other side,, I did just come in from doing some practice and testing some re-loads.

So I do get to shoot more than once a month.

Jim M ammo

And finishes all 8 to 10 either at or near the top ! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I try to shoot 1 match a week May to September along with 1 livefire practice a week and a min of 4 dryfire sessions. Then I take some time off and just shoot league once a week. Kinda keeps the burnout blues away.

You guys don't know how lucky you are...We only have one a month in my area(during the summer), which is the only match within 6 hours. I try to shoot about twice a week with two dry fire sessions in between. Sometimes living in Alaska sucks!!!