Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many matches do you shoot per month?

-JQ-

Gas is expensive and there is no relieve on horizon. Limit my shooting to 4 matches a month.

Loading components are expensive. Moved to Single Stack. Loading only 8 rounds in a mag saves you ammo.

Huh? :surprise:

FM

I understand BZ's math. Take a simple 5 plate steel match for instance. I never run my SS dry. However, some of my squad mates with 15-20 round mags easily miss fast enough to win compared to me. If they were shooting a SS, however, they'd be doing at least one, maybe two mag changes. Eight round mags force you to make every bullet count. Economize in other words.

I shoot 4 matches a month. nearly all are IDPA.... or USPSA "majors" or classifiers.

This year it will be 2 USPSA Sectionals and one regional.... (all here in MI).......... and the indoor nationals, one regional, and one state match in IDPA.

That's half what I was shooting a couple years ago.

I live in a rural area and since I retired... I can't afford to spend the bucks to shoot that many "big time" matches any more. Matches like the Single Stack which I shot in for years are now just to "pricy" for me. With the current cost of gas and ammo.. that match would cost me around a $1,000.

Thx for all the responses gang.

I'm not a data analyst (more pretty picture guy) but it seems the higher ranked shooters shoot a lot. This probably isn't too shocking but it helps me define "a lot" in my mind...several of you are shooting 5+ a month + practice sessions (live and dry)

As I mentioned in the beginning I'm new but addicted...to the point of interferring with my other love...no not her...my bike - i digress...

I started in October and have done 2-3 matches/month since. I'm improving but still settling in on division, practice, load, etc...SS seems to be suiting me right now although I can't shoot a classifier to save myself...weak hand SS is by-far my weakest link and for some reason all the ones I've shot SS have had weak hand.

In cycling, a beginner may be doing 1-2 hours rides and thinking they are riding "a lot" when experienced active riders may be doing rides of 4+ hours -- it is all about your perspective on things i guess.

Thanks again for the perspective.

:cheers: