Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"...B class is the easiest to get into and the hardest to

Chills1994

Yeah, just like the title and description says.

Honest, I tried doing a search here first, honest I did.

I typed in "stuck in B class" and got 32 pages of results.

:surprise:

I had previously typed in something else and surfed through 16 plus pages of hits but really found nothing that I was looking for.

Thanks!

PS: I just did a search for "plateau" and got 3 pages of results. There might be some interesting reading there, but still not exactly what I am looking for.

Edited by Chills1994

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the skill set required to get into B, and the skill set required to get into A. B class is the topping out point for most folks who can shoot but don't want to learn the finer/racier points of the game. Sometimes, you find this as a stopping point for folks w/ lots of talent that just don't practice... And, its where folks who practice and try hard but don't get any instruction end up as well.

Getting to A class takes learning the fundamentals of higher level shooting - efficiency becomes important, skills that waste no effort, etc. Practice becomes more important, as does exact techniques. Learning how to break down stages, and move through them efficiently.... All that... To approach A class, you must also really work the classifier skills - draws, reloads, indexes, etc... ;)

I think there has been a previous thread on the subject.

IIRC the opinion was that a person of average ability, devoting an amount of time

that didn't cut into their other interests, given sufficient experience would

make it to B.

To go beyond B takes talent, commitment, and WORK. You have to commit

to the goal, and put in the sweat and hours. Probably more of a mind-set

than physical thing, you have to WANT it.

Hmmmm---maybe I just don't know what I want?

Bill

B Open

B Limited

B L10

B Production

B Revolver

I've said that B is the hardest to get out of; reason being you can get in without really working at it (just shoot enough matches), but you pretty much have to work at it to get out.

Once you get above there the work is a given, and you just get to pick how much you want to do. What everybody else said is also true-- you need consistency to get out of B. Even tanked Classifier scores can stick.

Free tip: the way out of B is to watch the sights on every shot.

+1 to what has been written so far.

B is about as high as you can go with just shooting skills. To go higher you're going to need the shooting skills refined even more AND work on movement, stage breakdown, consistency etc. Take a solid A shooter and a bunch of B shooters and he's going to beat them pretty much every time just by shooting clean....almost regardless of how he breaks the stage down and shoots it. To beat other A's and above he's going to have to shoot it clean, not make any big mistakes, and save time in movement etc....along with shooting the stage the proper way.

I think the biggest thing is that if you can't call a shot, you can't really work on saving time moving in/out etc. Nothing worse than not calling a shot, starting to leave and have to stop to make up the mike you just noticed.

There is a parallel in golf.

The difference between a 20 handicapper and a 12 is an inch.

Between a 12 and a 6 is a foot.

Between a 6 and a 1 is a yard.

A 1 and a scratch minus 3 (Tiger) is 5 yards.

enjoy the ride.

Jim M

Look at the skill set required to get into B, and the skill set required to get into A. B class is the topping out point for most folks who can shoot but don't want to learn the finer/racier points of the game. Sometimes, you find this as a stopping point for folks w/ lots of talent that just don't practice... And, its where folks who practice and try hard but don't get any instruction end up as well.

Getting to A class takes learning the fundamentals of higher level shooting - efficiency becomes important, skills that waste no effort, etc. Practice becomes more important, as does exact techniques. Learning how to break down stages, and move through them efficiently.... All that... To approach A class, you must also really work the classifier skills - draws, reloads, indexes, etc... ;)

Thanks Dave...this gives me lots to think about. You have really sliced and sorted and indexed this into little boxes that are easy to digest. You should store these gems away for you book. ;)

So what does it mean that I've been in C class (Production and Limited) for four years? I already know the answer-no talent and not enough practice (dry or live). I could maybe do something about the second issue if i could sell my kids to the zoo...

What Dave said is right on the money.

Additional proof is another common saying: "Once you make it to "A" class, you usually progress quickly to Master. Once you dedicate the time, effort and money (for bullets and instruction) you will usually continue to progress to Master. To get to GM, I think that you need to add significant physical abilities that not everyone can achieve.

So what does it mean that I've been in C class (Production and Limited) for four years? I already know the answer-no talent and not enough practice (dry or live). I could maybe do something about the second issue if i could sell my kids to the zoo...

No offense intended here, but the first thing I'd do is change my screen name if I was stuck in C.... That's some serious negative reinforcement... How about something like "on my way to B" or something like that?

In Lanny terms, your self image could use a shot in the arm.

If you see yourself stuck in C, guess what, you're gonna be there for a while more.

No offense intended here, but the first thing I'd do is change my screen name if I was stuck in C.... That's some serious negative reinforcement... How about something like "on my way to B" or something like that?

In Lanny terms, your self image could use a shot in the arm.

If you see yourself stuck in C, guess what, you're gonna be there for a while more.

Fact.

P.S. Talent has nothing to do with it.

Instruction helped me make the jump from B to A. That and wanting to do better overall, not just make whatever class.

Trying to keep up with HoMiE is what's getting me out of B (74.28%) :sight::lol:

I agree that to be competitive in a match above B class (or C for that matter) requires movement skills, stage break down skills, a mental management plan (for some) and so forth. But a person can get into GM class with nothing but "pure shooting" skills. Afterall, don't most folks progress through the classification system by shooting classifiers at matches of all levels as opposed to their placement at major matches, and aren't most classifiers stand and deliver?

I can think of few reasons to be in any class other than GM. Perhaps you have some kind of physical disability that prevents you from standing in Box A and shooting like your hair is on fire so you can't move up, or USPSA moves you down. Maybe you don't put want forth the effort in terms of time and financial resources? Or pehaps you simply choose not to move up???

Edited by Ron Ankeny