Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Talk me out of a Benelli for Tactical

dirtypool40

OK, Remmy - is it bad to go for the pistol grip stock? Should I start with the "Tacti-cool" if I'll be buying new?

Anyone have hands on for a recent Tacti-cool? What did they do mechanically?

What I believe the new ones have is.... oversize carrier release, parkerized finish, plastic stock and forened, fiberoptic sight. I can't remember if the barrel was ribbed or not.

Another Benelli shooter here.

Remington's websote shows a VR on the straight stock 22" version and a round beaded tube on the pistol gripped 18" model.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this concern about wally world grade ammo feed to benelli's?

I have feed my M1 a mix of wallyworld shotshells, better stuff shotshells, and all sorts of low and high power slugs.

In about 2500 rounds fired since new, I have yet to have a malfunction.

Now having said that, the shotgun demons will no doubt descend upon me and my M1 next match.

BB

If you want a remington....find an old bird gun that has few rounds not too much wear.

I saw a perfect in every way old bird gun yesterday at a gun shop for 325.

Put all new springs in it and all the other stuff you want...tube gate stock ect

you can save tons of bucks...and have a gun that is better made than a new one

JMHO...Jim

Do not get an M2. I recently purchased one from Benny and that thing has done nothing but run with every type of expensive or cheap ammo I've put in it. I shot the USPSA 3-gun Nationals with two Walmart bulk packs. Life was much more interesting before the Benelli came along. I curse Benny and Benelli on a regular basis now. My life was much better prior to the Benelli. I used to be able to go to Kurt's place drink the beer he brewed and watch him fix my 3-gun competition guns. Now I have to find guns that have not seen the light of day in months, just so we have something to work on. Recently, I've had to dream up new sight setups, so we have something to do while drinking beer. I can foresee a future where we will have to drink beer without anything to do except tell lies and jokes. Don't get the Benelli or this could happen to you.

I have a Gold and love it, but I would not recommend it, It's a balance thing. The recoil spring and the magazine spring have to be balanced just right to run 100%. Don't do like I did at the last major match and put a wolf +20 recoil spring it and expect it to run with out testing it. I would like a bennelli but.. I like to reload the "Cooley" way, roll the gun over in the week hand and load out of side saddles. I can put 60 rds in side saddles if I want :) and a gas gun will still run. The Benelli will not run with a lot of "stuff" on it. Get a Winchester SX2. You can find 26" field guns really well priced, add a mag extension and your done.

Scott

Edited by 3GunF1Guy

Get a Benelli, put an extension tube on it and go burn 'em down. Send it to Benny if you need it to load faster.

I wish someone had talked me out of the 1100 that I bought and sold.

+1. Find an early 90s vintage M1, perhaps with the HK stamp, put a tube on it of your liking and go race. Shoot WW Super-Handicap and don't look back. I'll shoot value pack stuff in practice, but not in a match. If it isn't good enough for the guys who yell "pull" why do you trust it in a match???

If you want a remington....find an old bird gun that has few rounds not too much wear.

I saw a perfect in every way old bird gun yesterday at a gun shop for 325.

Put all new springs in it and all the other stuff you want...tube gate stock ect

you can save tons of bucks...and have a gun that is better made than a new one

JMHO...Jim

That's funny stuff. :cheers: I load off the belt so that's not a lick against any of them.

I hate that benelli doesn’t support the 3 Gun.

But I have one. An M2 I got it off the used rack at Cabalas.

I put on a Nordic Tube, and Had Briley put Remington rifle sights on it.

It shoots slugs well, and loves Wally world Winchester 1 1/8

Buckshot and all.

I traded my 1100 for an 870 in 20GA for my 11 year old son.

I would love to shoot an American made gun but I’ll have to ware this one out first.

M ammo

Our USPSA Tactical champ, Daniel Horner, does not use a Benelli. I don't believe David Neth does either. So don't feel like you must have one. I do use one (an M1 done by Benny) although it is certainly not 100% reliable. It is the most reliable and durable shotgun that I have used which is why I continue to rely on it.

I shot my 1187 literally apart after about 3 years of serious 3 gunning. That has not happened to my M1.

You have to get a Remington...my first Competition Master 1100 lasted 450 rounds and the trigger fell out at the Iron-Man, I went to a brand new Comp Master 1100 and it lasted 5 shots into the next stage, broke the rear buffer on the bolt carrier which locked the bolt up tight (hence I have 2 for sale now!).

I then went to my third back up, the Benelli Super 90 and finished the match without a hitch. I did have to put the bolt carrier on a diet but other than that I love it and will never look back...why? I love low/no maintance and that is why I have a concrete dirveway, vinal siding, tile roof and a Benelli shotgun.

Busyhawk

Better yet....now we know you are a GM......I would like to suggest a New England arms Handy rifle.

They pretty much do not jam.....AND.....here is the REAL Beauty of it......with a quick change you can go from 12 ga to .223 in about 2 minutes time with different barrels

Pretty much never jam on loading either!!!

OK, Remmy - is it bad to go for the pistol grip stock? Should I start with the "Tacti-cool" if I'll be buying new?

Anyone have hands on for a recent Tacti-cool? What did they do mechanically?

I dont care for the pistol grip on the shotgun. I tried it on both M1 Bennelli and Remington 1100. I feel that the standard shotgun stock is as good as it gets for shotguns.

Okay, WHO didn't do thier job??? He said talk him OUT of a Benelli. I did My part and Kelly was doing okay UNTILL he brought out the reliability thing. NO NO NO get the Remington!! It loads MUCH faster than any Benelli!! After all why do you think that little flapper add on part is called a speed feed?? KURTM

You have to get a Remington...my first Competition Master 1100 lasted 450 rounds and the trigger fell out at the Iron-Man, I went to a brand new Comp Master 1100 and it lasted 5 shots into the next stage, broke the rear buffer on the bolt carrier which locked the bolt up tight (hence I have 2 for sale now!).

I then went to my third back up, the Benelli Super 90 and finished the match without a hitch. I did have to put the bolt carrier on a diet but other than that I love it and will never look back...why? I love low/no maintance and that is why I have a concrete dirveway, vinal siding, tile roof and a Benelli shotgun.

Busyhawk

COOL.....How much do you want for that old broke junk :rolleyes: I love broke 1100s

PM me...Jim

Eric,

get a remmy. Mine has worked great for years and I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to clean it. I thought about taking it down once, but I saw someone else do it to theirs and a big spring went flying. That was enough to keep me from trying it. Then I saw Matt Burketts video about shotguns. If you try to take the remmy apart to clean it you will cut your fingers off! In all this time I've only had it jam on me at one match. Next match I used shells rated for 1300 fps instead of the 1200 fps walyworld value pack and its running good as ever.

No one 'needs' a Benelli

:devil:

Since my name has been brought up several times, I guess I should chime in.

Talk DP out of a Benelli, easy.

1. I enjoy it when I beat you. :rolleyes:

2. Grand masters should stick with "there" specialties, and let some of us mortals win our games.

3. I really enjoy beating you.

4. You love detail cleaning all the carbon crud on gas guns every few hundred rounds.

5. See #1 and #3.

6. I will loan you a trick gun any time you want.

7. I have a brand new in box Remington for sale.

8. Complements of a great suggestion from an Englishman to try clipping my carrier latch spring, my Gold now likes slugs.

9. I want to build my own Benelli M2 not buy yours. :cheers:

10. You have lots of practice buying Brownings.

11. You enjoy replacing parts.

12. They are frakan expensive to buy and setup. About $20 more than a full out worked over Gold or Win. :angry2:

13. See #7.

14. In a couple of months I will have a set up Benelli M2 you can try out side by side with a Gold and an SX2.

Busyhawk

Wow Scott, you have bad luck with Remmies! I shot my 11-87 at Ironman with (almost) narry a problem. I think at one point my gas ports got plugged up from using cheap Wolf slugs, but then things cleared up and it worked 100%.

I just read an article about the new Mossberg 930. If you can believe what you read, it sounds extremely reliable (of course, everything works great for gun writers). They make a tactical version with 18" barrel and 7 shot mag. Just a little longer barrel and tube. Anyone have any experience with this gun? If it works, it might be a good way to get started, or for those of us who HATE shotguns and HATE putting big money in them.

I started 3-gun with a Rem 1100 fully tricked out for the sport. For 4 years it ran perfectly and hardly had a malfunction and never broke anything. And yes it got shot a lot. and not with whimp loads either, as I never drilled the gas port. Then I started to see and hear a lot about the Benelli's and figured I just had to have one. I bought a pistol gripped tacticool M2, then called Benny. Darned if I should have called Benny first. I listened, shot the tactical for a couple months then sold it, bought a M2, 21" w/comforttech, did the things Benny and Kurt told me and spent more than enough to build two rem 1100's. I do love my M2 now though. I cant say I love it because its better, or because its so expensive I better love it.

Hey DP.....the honest answer they are are good, and they all suck......they all have their own little quirks be it weight, shot to shot times, ease of loading, breakages, blah blah blah

That being said......it seems that the Benelli's, SX2 (types)'s, Remmy's, maybe a few others seem to float to the top in any discussion on what to get. You get to make your own bed and sleep in it. So choose wisely, or we will all laugh at you at the matches.

Tim