Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

That being said, this thread has me suddenly feeling a little under gunned. Thinking I need to go pickup an 870 :goof:

Don't overlook the Mossberg. I much prefer the Mossberg over the Remington.

If it is good enough for the Marines Corps...

Yeah, actually one of my shooting buddies has a Vang Comped Mossberg. Might have to try that out. I've never actually shot an 870 :ph34r: I'd have to say the most impressive home defense shotgun I've shot to day would be a FN Police (Winchester 1300) with a Knoxx Coppstock on it. Gun cycles smooth and that stock works amazingly well. I wouldn't own a pump without one!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mossberg 500 ATP8 with folding stock/pistol grip. 8 in the tube, 6 on the side and another 18 rounds in a bandolier that hangs right next to the Mossy. Supermarket selection of rounds with Slug, 00, #4, and BB in the bandolier.

Thats the ONE I go get, the other one is with me all the time (Sig P-229).

Wife and I have to stay in communication too 'cause she's armed too. Best come as a friend to our house :cheers:

It would be a hand gun (HK USP 40) for the purpose of versatility. I will have enough desired accuracy for anything that comes up in my home and enough knock down power with a .40 cal. Not to mention it offers the most ease when it comes to manipulating doors or any other obsticle. And if all hell breaks loose I have 16 rds.

AR all the way. S%#t hit's the fan, I want versatility. Don't get me wrong, shotguns are great for close short conflicts, but if I don't know what is happening, I want to be able to continue the fight. As far as overpentration is concerned, 45-55 gr bullets break up VERY fast when they hit something. I use TAP for home defense. As far as versitility goes, my rifle is good to several hundred yards, the shotgun MUCH less. Yes a shotgun will stop a threat very, very quickly. Ar will as well. With a good single stage trigger you can double or tripple tap very easily. If I needed precision, I've got it. Precision shots (headshots, etc.) with a shotgun are much tougher. Shotguns have their place, but I think a rifle like an AR is much more versitile.

All that said I was mucho impressed with a Vang comp 870. It patterns tighter than a duck's you know what.

I'll be the odd ball. Handguns are first becuase they are located in usefull spots and loaded. If I get time to open my safe, the gun that comes out is a Winchester 94 with 180gr softpoints all ready to go. I live in NJ, where I'm pretty much assured to be arrested no matter what if I shoot a gun outside a range or hunting.

I Am from the midwest, where the Rem 870 is as common as a pickup. I grew up with them, and always thought they where the perfect, most reliable tool ever built. When I joined the Marines, I was Lucky enough to go to A Marine Corps security forces shooting school. Basically all we did for 2 weeks was shoot. Mostly the beretta m9 9mm, and of course the shotgun. This was a pretty serious school, with thousands of rounds fired , by lots of students. Well, When we got to the Shotgun portion, they handed out Mossberg 590's, For the most part, with a couple of 870's. I Got to talking to the armorers, and expressed my love for the 870. The guy basically told me , the 870's were falling apart as fast as they could put them together. With a steady diet of Slugs, and Magnum buckshot, they just didnt stand up. Now I do Realze that these Shotguns fired more rounds in a month, then most guns will fire in a lifetime, but it definetely shows any weakness in a gun. Just wanted to add my 2 cents to the whole lowest bidder arguement. As for my SHTF Choice, I would take my Beretta 9mm in the nightstand safe, until I could get to the gunroom, and grab my benelli m1. I shot enough 3 gun to see alot of short stroked pump guns when the adrenalin is flowing.

• 1 month later...

I feel undergunned, but it's been a long, tough year and I had to sell the AR and the scattergun.

Soooooooooooooo, for now it's grab the carry gun, a lil, ol'e pistole'. Of course the SV with light rail is off being ionbonded. When it gets back, heavy (er) trigger, mount the light and you've got 20+ rounds of rapid fire goodness I practice with every weekend. :cheers:

But I want a shotgun, does that count?

AR-180 with 40 round mag of 40 gr JHPs.

My AR-15 is disassembled at present so the AR-180 would be it.

With three kids I have to think about the possibility of a hostage shot and the wads from 12 ga slugs can do nasty things.

+1 on the hostage shot consideration. For me it has to be a 1911/.45acp -a proven track record in all sorts of nasty situations.

I keep a Bushmaster Superlight carbine and a S&W 12g pump standing side by side. If they're in 12g if they're out AR. I live in the boonies and across my yard is a long shot. The small safe in the bedroom contains a pair if stainless K frame .38's, they are simple and my wife shoots them well.

Mine is a 12 guage Mossberg 590 marine model. It has a cartridge tube that goes all the way to they end of the barrel, ghost ring sights and a barrel mounted tactical light which is activated with a pressure switch.

The always ready to rock pistol is a highley customized Browning High power which wears Crimson Trace lasewr grips and houses a 17 round mag full of +P Federals.

Glock 22 or AR. Also have a Wichester 1300 12G loaded in the safe, but the AR is in the front for easy access.

I've not owned a Mossberg, but I have owned an 870 and I prefer the 1300 - YMMV.

Edited by chp5

The safe is downstairs but if bump in the night I have my TRP by the bed with a extra wilson. If I'm down stairs and I make it to the safe I'm good to go. I got the 870 with buck and a couple of slugs on the saddle. I have my AR with a 30 round mag. For a pistol I have my snubbie loaded....well if I make it to the safe do I really need a pistola :surprise:

The M&P .40 with 19 180GR +P JHP's. I know it intimately, can disassemble/clear/repair with my eyes closed, and in something like my house, I'm not gonna miss 19 times. Quick to the hand, familiar to the touch, damned lethal. What else could you need?

I'm going to guess that a Hydrashok 12 gauge slug has more penetration than a .223. ;)

Sometimes you would have guessed right and sometimes you would have guessed wrong....depends on what .223 bullet is used and what the target is made out of. I've got video our ballistics guys did comparing 55gr FMJs with traditional slugs as well as 00 Buck. The slug moved the gelatin block more (you could see bigger waves in it, and it lifts the block more, but it went about the same depth as the .223. The 00 buck went clean through and nearly threw the block off the table....really impressive and was the only one to penetrate 100%....surprised the heck out of me.

• 2 years later...

Well it ain't pretty, but I can shoot it using the slide and holding the trigger down. (That's how I was taught to shoot it anyway.) That would be a Winchester '97 with #4 buck. It's got a light on it, and is good for the size of my property. Theo other go to would be my S&W triple lock revo 44spl with those silver point hollow points. Very accurate and I think it would work just fine. It has an amazingly smooth trigger that my wife can manipulate well.

Everything else is locked up to where it would take entirely too long.

On my nightstand is my G35 loaded with 16 165gr Golden Sabers. My bedroom is upstairs and I'm more comfortable with the handgun in the tight stairwell. If I'm worried and/or need to leave the house, my FAL stoked with 155gr Hornady TAP. Gotta love a 155gr varmint bullet! :surprise:

"Hairy" means a lot of things. IF I don't know what is going on, middle of the night, The Firebird AR (LE M4). It wears Tritium sights, Streamlight and 2 Firebird coupled Pmags with 50 grain Noslers at 3300 fps. If I have determined the situation to be a low threat issue, such as stopping for a traffic accident on the freeway, flashers on on the shoulder parked at a 45 degree angle, jumping out with a pistol. If we are talking "hairy" as in squirrel attacks, shotgun al the way.

didn't want to hijack this thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...=52688&st=0

so, here's a slight twist. if it get's hairy, what comes out of your safe first?

for me, 12 guage.

I'm very surprised at the number of shotgun-grabbers here.

If things are that hairy and I've got the time to run to the basement to get into my safe, the first thing I'm grabbing is the 16" AR with a light and Aimpoint on it, and 30 rounds in the mag, along with the 4 loaded mags in a carrier right next to it.