Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a lesson many years ago. In middle 90's on a Christmas night about 3am I was awakened by sound of a dogs fighting. My rottweiller weighed about 120 pounds and was about 4 years old and in great shape. His dog house is about 200 feet from the house and I had put him out some steak bones leftovers about 11pm.

I grab 1911 and flashlight and my shoes, naked I run out the door. Fire a few shots in ground but the fight rages on. They are too far out for me to see. I realize I ain't prepared, back inside, pants heavy jacket flashlight and my 870 with #4shot back out I go.

Now it is pitch black no moon, no street lights nothing. This time though it is quiet. So I'm trying to hold the three cell maglite up next to the 870 and I'm scanning looking for eyeballs. Moving slowly out down the drive I'm scanning, I round the corner to where his doghouse is and I got 4 sets of eyeballs reflecting back. Luckly my Rott had one silver and one Gold eye. I move within 50 feet of them and fire one round over their heads, figuring they would scatter. WRONG! They start moving towards me! I know I've only got three rounds left in the gun so while there advancing on me I stuff two more from side saddle up the tube. Now the lead dog has moved out front and I'm advancing on him also. At about 20 feet I let one go on the lead dog, I amazed he goes right down with just a few kicks. Now my Rott and other dog are right next to each other, so a careful aim and number two goes down with one shot also. Quickly I scan for dog three he's about 35 out at about 10 o'clock position, I fire a snap shot that's too high and dog three heads for the woods. I unhook my Rott of his chain and we both backup against a very large oak tree. I stuff a few more rounds in the tube and squat down next to my dog, who is very happy to see me. He is covered with slobber, blood, and some gashes and puncture wounds. Mostly on his shoulders. His dog house is destroyed front pull completely off and one side ripped loose. We sit there in of cold quiet of the night, our breaths visible in the flashlite beam. I check my pulse and its pumping, my Rotty wants to head down the trail into woods after the last dog. I call him back time to go inside and check out his wounds. I find my hands are covered in blood, I figured I got it off my dog so I'm trying to clean him up. I pour some betadyne down his puncture wounds which were very few actually. I go to wash my hands and what do I find that my fingers and hands are all cut up from trying to load, hold flashlight and pump that 870. Damn lucky I didn't short stroke it or dump the light, and I didn't have a backup weapon, not even a knife!!!!

So that spawned a new project gun, the "DogGun", 870 with extended tube, laser and mounted light, along with side saddle. It is also right where it can be grabbed along with a bullet proof vest with 8" Tanto already mounted on it. Not too long ago it was used for removal of six foot plus rattler!

So for Sh!% hit the fan, gimmie my shotgun!!!

Bushy Dissipator. Don't get me wrong. shotguns are great, but I shoot my AR much better, plus it has a light mounted on it so it is no contest for me. Plus, if I remember reading correctly, the FBI did a penetration test and the AR, with proper ammo, over-penetrated less than pretty much everything else. I could be remembering wrong though...happens when one gets older :D

I live in a brick house. Depending upon where in the house I am it would be:

1. .45 loaded with Black Talon

2. M12 loaded with 00

3. FN FAL loaded with USGI Match 173s.

The .45 has several loaded mags at hand. The shotgun has 7 in the gun and 5 on the buttstock. The FN is close to several loaded mags, but if I need more than 20 rds. of 7.62 I'm in deep trouble anyway. :ph34r:

I have the rifles and shotguns, but my first reaction is to reach in my nightstand and grab my Sig P-220 .45 acp. with night sights. I feel that the shotgun is the best weapon for close quarters, however, my pistols are closer and would probably be the choice.

Buddy

Mine would be my XD 9mm. I shoot it well, it's compact enough I can move freely with it in compact places and the 16 rnds of +p+ should stop most things that go bump in the night. Plus another 16 rnds is available very quickly.

That being said, this thread has me suddenly feeling a little under gunned. Thinking I need to go pickup an 870 :goof:

Don't overlook the Mossberg. I much prefer the Mossberg over the Remington.

If it is good enough for the Marines Corps...

....it means it is built by the lowest bidder :lol::lol::lol:

Just kidding. Mossberg is an excellent choice in shotguns.

FWIW

dj