Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post Office wants $83.25 additional postage

Rik

Ordered 6000 bullets (3 prepaid prioty boxes @ 34# each) at a very good price. My local P.O. has refused to let me have them without paying the extra postage of 27.75 per box because there is clear plastic tape on the outside of the box which the acting postmaster contends is a modification of the box. I took an unopened box from a previous order back down there and tried to explain that they had been delivering these boxes for over a year with no issues. Company I orderded from has shipped 100's of boxes all over the country with no issues.

I filed a complaint for what good it does, but looks like I'm not getting my bullets. Talk about a spoiling my day.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same way I've received bullets from Angus, as well. This is your local post office trying to jab at you for forcing them to lift heavy boxes.... <_<

ETA - and I get to watch the guys behind the counter at the local PO wrap boxes with endless pieces of tape as they take packages in to be shipped... If it was a modification of the box, the PO on the sender's side should have noted it and charged the extra shipping... This is the local PO trying to be a bunch of d***s, is what it is :angry:

Edited by XRe

Ordered 6000 bullets (3 prepaid prioty boxes @ 34# each) at a very good price. My local P.O. has refused to let me have them without paying the extra postage of 27.75 per box because there is clear plastic tape on the outside of the box which the acting postmaster contends is a modification of the box. I took an unopened box from a previous order back down there and tried to explain that they had been delivering these boxes for over a year with no issues. Company I orderded from has shipped 100's of boxes all over the country with no issues.

I filed a complaint for what good it does, but looks like I'm not getting my bullets. Talk about a spoiling my day.

I'd find out who his/her boss is and call them direct. I have sent/resent and received the USPS Priority Mail boxes with old tape on them and crossed out labels and never had a problem. The ACTING postmaster does not like lifting the boxes and figures he/she can discourage you from getting heavy boxes. I'd take that issue to United States Postmaster General office. It will cost them more to ship em back.

My boxes come stuffed with 70 lbs and my mail carrier gripes a little, but still talks to me.

Our PO guy dont mind at all..he is a nice guy.

He even carries them out to the car for my wife!

I have been shipping stuff for years in those boxes...many reused lots of times tons of tape ect.

I would complain, find the bosses bosses boss and dump it in his lap.

Its common to find some jerk with a little authority...that thinks he is the master of the universe.

I think this will work out.

best of luck!!

Jim

When I had to smite the post office I contacted the postmaster for the entire city and let him know what kind of shenenigans they were pulling at my post office (they had stopped delivery). He was really surprised since he was the only person who could authorize that sort of action! I got my mail back and for some reason a new mailman. Go figure.

-ld

We used to have post office try this when I was shipping bullets. The boxes have no adhesive at all and have to be taped to be held together. It is just the stupid clerk or poorly trained postmaster. Sometimes its a worker thats pissed they have to handle heavy boxes or are antigun. We had one postmaster file a complaint with a regional director and I received a letter from her. I took it to my local postmaster who confronted her with the regs and she said "Oh, Ok no problem then"

Basically keep asking for a superior and phone numbers to file complaints.

Our postman refused to deliver my last order of bullets from MG, too. He didn't ask for extra money, he just left a note saying that he would not deliver heavy packages. This is the same lazy ba*stard that we caught dropping mail (bills) in the road, looking down at them, and then driving off......TWICE! :angry2: With the bullets, I had to call his supervisor (who at first agreed with him). He wanted me to come get them. I told him that the USPS was paid to deliver the bullets, not me. I told him that I would not come and get the bullets and to go ahead and return them -USPS can settle the shipping issues with MG - i.e. return the money they paid for shipping. After some "thought" <_< the supervisor agreed to have the guy deliver them. I had them the next day.

http://www.usps.com/communications/news/pr...06/pr06_069.htm
The Flat Rate Box must close securely and retain its shape when taped with adhesive. The shape of the box can't be changed or enlarged to fit its contents.

So, you have an official USPS press release stating you can tape the box with adhesive.

This is where the issue is coming in. The acting postmistress claims that the shipper distorted the box by overpacking it. It was 2000 9mm /box. As most of you probably know, this will fit in the priority box with no issues. I have several unopened boxes sitting here now. Most of them have the corners dented in, or bulge from shipping and stacking. I tried explaining that it was the shipping that bent the box up. Also explained that the box had to be correct when accepted on the other end and had traveled halfway across the country. Also that this company has shipped lots of this same product in this same manner with never a problem. I think she is pizzed about having to handle the boxes. Have only seen women in this P.O.

The corker is that I have been getting my bullets for a year, through this same P.O., 2000 9mm in every box.

On my second visit, things went downhill pretty quick. I was pretty hot and left before saying or doing anything that might require further explanation.

Dunno if this will be of any help, but some reloaders on another forum had a problem with primer residue powder leaking from a FRB. They handled the FRB problem this way:

LINK

or try:

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=...threadid=743788

I do not think you are being a pain by simply asking these unionized lollygaggers to do their job.

Rik, the US postal service has an Inspector General's Office. Do a basic search for the USPS IG and file a complaint. Many IG personnel are prior/current 1811 Federal Agents. You get the right one and explain they won't deliver your bullets, he'll probably get madder than you did.

For the non Govt types, the following agencies fall under the various IG's and so a call from them usually speeds the "get your crap straight or I'm coming down there" right up:

NCIS

AFOSI

Army CID

Coast Guard CID

DOT IG Transportation Agents

etc, etc....

Then there's the inspection wings for USPS, DOE, DOT, DOD, etc.

It's quite frightning what the IG can do internally.

Make sure you have exact facts. The more exact you are in your complaint, the more credibility it will have. Generalities won't get you too far.

Good luck, and you have my empathy for your situation. The post office has gone totally postal and held your bullets for ransom. That's just bizzarre.

Hmmmm, bullets for ransom. Good band name.

My local USPS is starting to give me problems also.

When I first started receiving USPS flat rate boxes they would be left at the front door. Then they would be dumped in the driveway. Happened to watch it in person once. This last time I had six bags of lead shot in three flat rate boxes on the way. Got a rather nasty note the last time to come pick it up at the station. Got to the station and the mail lady wanted to know what was in there that was so G*d damn heavy. "It's really none of your business. It isn't hazmat. That's all you need to know."

As I wheeled out the boxes to the car she was still pissing and moaning about the weight. My response was to the effect that these were to be delivered to my home. They were not. You have failed to do your job. If it happens again a complaint will be filed. Understand? Shock and awe.

About to make a bullet order. We'll see how it works out.

As I wheeled out the boxes to the car she was still pissing and moaning about the weight. My response was to the effect that these were to be delivered to my home. They were not. You have failed to do your job. If it happens again a complaint will be filed. Understand? Shock and awe.

I'd like to hear how this one ends up...

-Cuz.

When I first started receiving USPS flat rate boxes they would be left at the front door. Then they would be dumped in the driveway. Happened to watch it in person once. This last time I had six bags of lead shot in three flat rate boxes on the way. Got a rather nasty note the last time to come pick it up at the station. Got to the station and the mail lady wanted to know what was in there that was so G*d damn heavy. "It's really none of your business. It isn't hazmat. That's all you need to know."

Small wonder they don't allow CCW at Post Offices.

Sorry for your predicament, , sounds like BS to me, but on a lighter(?) note. My postman put my bullet order in front of our front glass screen door and when my wife, who has arthritis, arrived home didn't have have the strength to move them to allow her to get in the house. She eventually sat on the ground and pushed the boxes out of the way with her legs so she could open the front door. She apparently didn't find that near as funny as I did. :lol:

Sorry for your predicament, , sounds like BS to me, but on a lighter(?) note. My postman put my bullet order in front of our front glass screen door and when my wife, who has arthritis, arrived home didn't have have the strength to move them to allow her to get in the house. She eventually sat on the ground and pushed the boxes out of the way with her legs so she could open the front door. She apparently didn't find that near as funny as I did. :lol:

Now that's funny :lol:

You should've asked her why she just didn't use the back door...

I digress....

I noticed from the first post it mentioned "priority boxes"). Maybe that was just a typo but priority boxes and flat rate priority boxes have different shipping rates.

If that's not the case tell them to re-deliver or you'll file a complaint.

Good luck,

Gary