Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Makes A Great Stage?

I like stages that truly are freestyle. Generally this means more movement and more props such as doors, vision barriers and the like so people have a choice as to where and when to engage targets.

One thing I like about R.O.ing at a large match is to see the different ways stages can be shot (assuming I'm assigned to a good stage anyway).

I've noticed that the first shooter in a squad often seems to set the approach for that squad. There may be 6 ways to shoot a stage, but many times each squad shoots it a particular way.

Al

Other.

I use the word "technical" to describe stages I find particularly challenging. To me the word technical means precise, and includes shot placement, body position(ing) throughout the stage, or timing (of either moving your body, or timing your gun's movement to the targets). If all three of those elements are present then you have a great stage. Even if just one is present, you have an above average stage.

;)

"Technical," I like that.

I have also noticed the point that Al brings up about the majority of a squad all shooting it the same way. Probably following the lead of the Alpha Blaster (or Alpha GAMER B) )for that group.

-ld

I like stages with lots of choices along with a good mix of tight shots, shooting on the move and at least a couple of hoser targets so that all of your skills are tested.

Hoser stages are fun, but they only test how fast you can index the gun and crank the trigger.

Precision stages are challenging, but a whole stage of hard cover/no shoot/upper A/B only shots gets boring.

Prop stages can be fun (if you don't mind getting wet) as long as the designer doesn't forget the shooting parts of the stage while designing/building the props.

Contortionist stages suck! I really wouldn't want to shoot the great Egret stage with an Open blaster, and I truly hate ground level low ports shot weak hand while juggling bowling balls with your strong hand.

I like true freestyle stages where there are choices and trade-offs, i.e. You can shoot that group of targets from 25-30 yards or you can run downrange and shoot them later from ten yards. The most gratifying thing about designing stages is to watch experienced shooters in different divisions studying my stage for three or four minutes only to have them shoot it differently.

I too love the choice thing, and especially love stages with a great variety of targets, from close range hosers, to partials at long range.

I hate hoser stages, especially where the shooter blows patches/plasters all over the range.

P.D.

• 6 years later...

I'm sure there are lots of stage designers out there putting their ideas together for the production nationals, so my question is, "What makes a good stage?"

I always try and build in different options, but what else?  Lots of swingers, clamshells, dropturns, etc?  Texas Stars and other challenging steel?  Lots of running (not just shuffling 3 steps from one shooting position to another.)  

I guess I could have made this a poll, but nobody really likes polls, do they. :unsure:

Edited by Flexmoney
Merged threads.

"What makes a good stage?"

Most interesting stage I've ever shot was a "blind stage" - just a door,

behind which lay the totally unknown. Talk about pressure, and

"shoot them as you see them".

It caused some problems with taping/pasting, since none of the shooters

could peek behind the door before they shot the stage, but it was worth

it if you can overcome that one problem.

I voted other and here is what I think makes a good stage,

Short, medium, and long shots.

eliminate no shoots- tight shots can be setup versus a white target to restrict.

movement

no carnival rides

and most important, MULTIPLE WAYS OF SHOOTING the stage.

I'm sure there are lots of stage designers out there putting their ideas together for the production nationals, so my question is, "What makes a good stage?"

I always try and build in different options, but what else?  Lots of swingers, clamshells, dropturns, etc?  Texas Stars and other challenging steel?  Lots of running (not just shuffling 3 steps from one shooting position to another.)  

I guess I could have made this a poll, but nobody really likes polls, do they. :unsure:

It's a poll now. :ph34r:

Some reading for you;

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4284

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4326

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4318

Other.

I use the word "technical" to describe stages I find particularly challenging. To me the word technical means precise, and includes shot placement, body position(ing) throughout the stage, or timing (of either moving your body, or timing your gun's movement to the targets). If all three of those elements are present then you have a great stage. Even if just one is present, you have an above average stage.

;)

+1 Brian :cheers:

What you describe has become something of a philosophy for me as a stage designer. I generally like to design longer stages, but more importantly, I want to have stages that challenge the shooter to come up with an efficient solution and use as many of shooting skills as possibles. Getting a stage designed the provides multiple solutions that require changes in focus (long, short distance shots), wide transitions, and a mix of target types (mover, steel, hardcover, no shoots, etc.) is a source of great satisfaction to me.

Anyone who has shot my stages at DCPA knows just how serious I take stage design.

Edited by matt2ace

I like high round counts. If there are enough rounds they will work in the harder things also. Nothing worse than having to clean a gun after a 60 or 70 round match. If I am going to have to clean my gun I want to have hosed a few rounds and burned some ammo.

I used to like the 4H charity match that they held in Coleman. If I remember correctly the last match I went to was 8 stages 40 rounds per stage. That was FUN.

Other

Almost any novel approach to the setting up of a course. I like starts that are not wrists above shoulders OR hands hanging relaxed at sides. I like laying down starts with the gun in a drawer beside the "bed". Unlike Matt P, I DO like carnival rides. I've set up a stage a couple of times at the local club match that puts the shooter in a yard cart pulled by a lawn mower, I called it "mow 'em down". Everyone who shot it thought it was the most fun stage they'd ever shot. Shoot the targets as they come to you, and don't get behind, because the mower doesn't stop!. Innovation, I like that in a stage design, something I haven't done 27 times before. I love Texas Star's! I would love to shoot the "Polish plate rack" thingy.

Many have said it, options. When three GM's can't agree on the best way to shoot it you have succeeded in a high quality stage. I've found that giving multiple shooting positions on many targets and mixing close and far shots with a little salt and pepper thrown in gets pretty close to success regularly.

It's a poll now. :ph34r:

Some reading for you;

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4284

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4326

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4318

I guess the search button would have made a lot of sense. Sorry about that.

A great stage for me is one where I walk away with a smile on my face. Specifically, I enjoy longer field courses (20-25 rounds) with a mix of long and close shots, lots of movement, lots of choices to make, and a stage description that basically says "Shoot em as you you see em" and very little else. Yeah that about does it :rolleyes: