Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Those folks who won't help brassing and setting targets

stubbicatt

I really hate those certain competitors who sit on their a$$es at a match while only a few help out with brassing and resetting targets.

I guess they are "special." :angry2:

Edited by stubbicatt

fairly simple to get rid of them. if you know who they are, have the scorekeeper put them last. while the rest of you shoot and they fail to help pick brass up and/or reset targets, go to the next stage when its their turn to shoot.

fairly simple to get rid of them. if you know who they are, have the scorekeeper put them last. while the rest of you shoot and they fail to help pick brass up and/or reset targets, go to the next stage when its their turn to shoot.

I have never seen anything work with just plain lazy people. You can put em last, throw their brass...no biggie, they will still stand there yappin and let 2 or 3 people do all the work. They figure that they paid their club dues and the match fee to shoot without labor. now Benny Hill had a good idea, you start charging the people who dont do shjt, more. If that doesnt work, kick em out.

I really liked our club, but had to leave cause that crap was really getting to me (not to mention the sprained back from setting up steel) and the club officers would do nothing about it.

It really pisses me off when a few people on the squad won't help out. I even find it distratcting to the point where my concentration is affected. How selfish & self-centered must one be to simply sit there & watch while others do the work for you? :angry2:

There was a similar thread a while back. Some folks stated that they considered the match to be entertainment for which they had paid, and felt absolutely no obligation to help. Thankfully, they're a distinct (almost non-existant) minority where I shoot.

Bah, I don't let them bother me... most of the guys/girls at our club do their share. The ones who choose not to can bugger off, but I'm not going to let it bother me. In some cases, at our club, we have older guys who just have problems getting up and down. Yes, they could paste targets, but I have no problem letting the seniors, or people with physical problems, have some perks. For those that are asshats, so be it. Don't let them bother you.

JT

Edited by JThompson

it will upset you and loose your concentration and you will not enjoy the match. Just try to avoid those kind of people. it happened to us in a steel madness match. 6 stages of all steels (3 texas star in 1 stage etc..) we just dont shoot with those guys anymore :angry2: Just dont shoot with them anymore. :rolleyes:

Bah, I don't let them bother me... most of the guys/girls at our club do their share. The ones who choose not to can bugger off, but I'm not going to let it bother me. In some cases, at our club, we have older guys who just have problems getting up and down. Yes, they could paste targets, but I have no problem letting the seniors, or people with physical problems, have some perks. For those that are asshats, so be it. Don't let them bother you.

JT

What makes it even worse is when one of those not helping is a junior.

Bruce

JT

Bruce

I was a CRO at our area match. I had a jr shooter all dressed up like a mini Eric G. He was wih his dad. I watched him shoot two stages and never lift a inger to help. he was joking about it while he was was watching an older woman reset the steel on e stage. I blame the father for allowing it.

I really hate those certain competitors who sit on their a$$es at a match while only a few help out with brassing and resetting targets.

I guess they are "special." :angry2:

Don't overthink the problem. Say, "Your lack of assisting the rest of us is noticed by everyone on the squad, and unappreciated. Here's a roll of tape. " Then avoid them in the future during sign-up.

EVERY time I've seen this happen at a match, the rest of the shooters on the squad backed the person who handed the slakkard the roll of tape. Some more verbally than others, but backed them none the less. There are very low levels of sympathy for not helping out in ECO shooters.

I shot a match last month with a bunch of people who were glued to their chairs. They simply would not do anything. Our squad was backing up on every stage too.

2/3 through the match my rifle broke and I couldn't finish the match. Usually, if I get a problem like that I will stick around and help scorekeep, tape, etc. But this time, I was so fed up with my squad I just packed up and bailed on them.

Never did find much of a way to stop this pattern, beyond throwing rolls of pasters at lethargic shooters. I also wondered if a ban (or $50.00 surcharge) on chairs would help people tape more, but it probably would not.

Edited by Ted Murphy

Had the same problem at a local match a couple of months ago. Had score keeper put the 3 of them last on the 3rd stage.Told the other shooters not to reset or paste when it was thier turn. First one steps in box and I told him he could shoot as soon as they pasted and reset stage. Also told thm if they didn't help on the next stage thier score cards might get lost. They got off thier a@@ the rest of the day and helped.

Had the same problem at a local match a couple of months ago. Had score keeper put the 3 of them last on the 3rd stage.Told the other shooters not to reset or paste when it was thier turn. First one steps in box and I told him he could shoot as soon as they pasted and reset stage. Also told thm if they didn't help on the next stage thier score cards might get lost. They got off thier a@@ the rest of the day and helped.

I like your style. you must have club officer status.

I've wanted to start a thread like this several times now, but figured it was just part of life. I just don't think it matters where you go or what you are doing, there's going to be a small percentage of very lazy people. I kinda feel bad about not showing up early to set up at one range, but I try to stay after to help tear down. It sucks sometimes, but at least we are shooting.

I have no issues with those that don't pick up brass. Hell, I don't most of the time. If someone wants my brass, they can have it.

I would think with the price being paid for scrap, the clubs would not mind it being left.

I do think that everyone who is not scoring or the next shooter should help reset steel & paste targets.

OK, maybe not the guy who just shot. He can pick up his own brass ;)

Howabout this.. scorekeeper puts shooters in order, then calls out names, 1 up next, 2 in the hole, 3 4 and 5 paste and reset, other squadmembers take a break or top off mags, after shooter scorekeeper would call out names of 2 up next, 3 in the hole 4, 5, and 6 paste and reset.

JT

Bruce

I was a CRO at our area match. I had a jr shooter all dressed up like a mini Eric G. He was wih his dad. I watched him shoot two stages and never lift a inger to help. he was joking about it while he was was watching an older woman reset the steel on e stage. I blame the father for allowing it.

HOLY CR@P! It is a darn good thing I was not there to see that! One of my pet peeves in life is the lack of respect kids have for their elders now days. I am not THAT old, but things like that really get under my skin. I would have had a hard time not going up to the kid and saying to him loud enough that his dad could hear, "You know you should show a little respect for your elders. It is too bad you don't have a father that knows that and could teach you that." Man that sort of thing gets me wound up!!

TG

Usually I'm too busy at a match to notice exactly who is doing what, just as long as it's getting done.

My wife lets me know who spent all their time videoing their friends or sitting on their butts. Yes, I've seen junior shooters do nothing plenty of times, but they are always with someone who sets the same example.

The plan is to never shoot with those folks again. They won't have much of a choice if they are all squadded together.

Even with folks who paste regularly, ever notice how many of them ignore the steel that needs resetting? Any Texas Star seems to have a disease that repels resetters. Almost always there are maybe 2 people who reset the star, very obvious when one of them is the shooter and the other is on deck. Add mud to the equation and it gets worse.

Then there are people who avoid resetting anything, but just because they don't want to admit they don't know how. I'd like to see a quick lesson given on how to reset a swinger, star, etc during the walkthrough.

Peer pressure works too!

It was late in the day, hot as all get out. I was tired, it was the last stage, and I thought I had done more than my share of the work that day. I wanted to stay in the shade (with everyone else) and save what little energy I had when I saw a guy my senior with a limp running around taping like a mad man. So I got up and headed out there to help and then kept at it, shooter after shooter just trying to keep up with him.

Thanks for the motivation Merlin! :D

I've seen that before. But the Junior was just doing the same thing as his GrandMaster big brother - Nothing. <_<

-Chet

My solution is similar to those stated. They go dead f'ing last on every single stage. Then, if the attitude persists, I don't really have that filter between brain and mouth, so I'll call you out, which is especially enjoyable when you have your spouse, girlfriend or child there. Push me too far and I'll offer to pay your match fee for you to go home. That's me though and the last is in extreme cases only.

Rich

Generally on people like that subtly is a lost cause,...................Confrontation!!! is the key.

Speak up, say something, be it junior, or parent, GM or beginner.

You should have the majority on your side.

I like confrontation. :rolleyes:

Trapr

Generally on people like that subtly is a lost cause,...................Confrontation!!! is the key.

Speak up, say something, be it junior, or parent, GM or beginner.

You should have the majority on your side.

I like confrontation. :rolleyes:

Trapr

It is sort of fun stirring the pot a little bit isn't it?

TG