Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many:dillon Sdb Vs 550 Vs 650 Vs 1050?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R/T, maybe we need to have a loading match, you with your 550, me with my Square Deal B. We'll get Michael Bane to bring in the TV cameras and turn it into a big event: the "Great American Load-Off."

;)

Can we have a shoot off to test are ammo righ after LOL :D

#1 thing I will give to the SDB

After it is set up a monkey could operate it.

I got in a jam with an upcoming match last year and my brother stopped by.

I sat him down and he made the 250 rounds I needed with no worries of a squib or kaboom.

I won't do that with the 550 B)

Thread Drift:

I find this topic amusing in that all the Dillon machines mentioned are great products, but each has it's very loyal followers.

When I first moved to Texas in 1990, I frequented BBS a chatroom in order to get to know the locals. The SysOp of the BBS sent me a PM once saying "Wanna see how to start a Texas argument real fast?".

Then he sent a message to the group saying, "Chet's new in town: Who has the best BBQ for him to try?".

Man, you sould have seen that system light up!

Please resume the thread now... B)

-Chet

PS - For the record I own two SDBs and a 650. I never change calibers on any of them.

Thread Drift:

I find this topic amusing in that all the Dillon machines mentioned are great products, but each has it's very loyal followers.

When I first moved to Texas in 1990, I frequented BBS a chatroom in order to get to know the locals. The SysOp of the BBS sent me a PM once saying "Wanna see how to start a Texas argument real fast?".

Then he sent a message to the group saying, "Chet's new in town: Who has the best BBQ for him to try?".

Man, you sould have seen that system light up!

Please resume the thread now... B)

-Chet

PS - For the record I own two SDBs and a 650. I never change calibers on any of them.

OK.... :) How about .... I have SDBs... 550Bs... RL1050s...

and have loaded quite a bit on a 650 and a Super 1050..

I may end up with a Super 1050 but I will never own a 650..... ;)

The above post is the opinion of Merlin ...who posted this under Benny's name.

Edited by benny hill

I can't load much more than 500 rounds an hour on a SDB. Probably less now that my 650 has taught me not to let go of the handle.

Much nicer to load 800 rounds an hour on the 650 without trying....or much more if I try....

Buy as much as you can afford. If you can get the 1050, go for it. Also, don't forget to budget for the "spare parts" kit. The worst thing is to break something while loading the night before a match. I broke the E clip on the depriming die one night. That reminds me, I don't have an extra one of those anymore.

Matt Burkett gave me the "buy as much as you can afford" advice. I shoot about 7000 rounds a year, with about 1/2 being reloads. I only shoot 9 mm, and I mainly load for Steel Challenge. I also shoot about 2 Glock matches a year. I've easily recouped the cost for the 1050.

Itchy

Itchy, did you leave out a zero up there? Should it really read "70,000 rounds a year"?

I have a 550. I just pay special attention before I seat the bullet. Never had a squib or kaboom.

yeah, I would like to upgrade to a 1050 or a 650, but ah....so many toys/tools.....so little $$$

A press for each primer size/type would be nice.

Check out this guy's "man room":

http://forums.sixgunner.com/One_example_of.../m_27446/tm.htm

Itchy, did you leave out a zero up there? Should it really read "70,000 rounds a year"?

I have a 550. I just pay special attention before I seat the bullet. Never had a squib or kaboom.

yeah, I would like to upgrade to a 1050 or a 650, but ah....so many toys/tools.....so little $$$

A press for each primer size/type would be nice.

Check out this guy's "man room":

Yeah, I saw that setup on the workbench thread I think. :wub: I've seriously had to re-evaluate my longterm aspirations in light of that guys accomplishments. I love the indoor bench. I can't imagine needing that many presses, but its nice to try.

Edit for re-read:

"Keep six Dillon 550 presses setup with at least one each for small rifle primer, large rifle, small pistol, and large pistol. Also keep three Dillon 650 presses setup for large pistol, large rifle, and small rifle. Keep one 1050 setup for large pistol. Keep three RCBS Ammomasters setup for 50 BMG, 500 Nitro Express, and other African-size quasi-progressive loading. Keep Lee turret, Redding turret, Bonanza CO-AX, and RCBS Rockchucker presses setup too."

This man is my hero. Talk about saving. You could make back the initial investment within a couple hundred rounds of 50 BMG.

Edited by Erucolindon

No way would I get a 550.

It's a total non-issue to change calibers on a 650 unless you get a wrench and hammer confused. Of course this is coming from someone who can't understand why anyone would get separate priming systems when the change in primer size is so easy.

Nothing against a 550, but a press that doesn't auto-index is not a progressive press IMHO. The fact that every squib and kaboom I've ever seen was loaded on a 550 has never given me a warm and fuzzy feeling either. Of course it's really operator error, but why take chances. I've yet to figure out how to double charge on my 650, and a squib is just as unlikely unless the powder measure was to run empty.

I voted for the 650, but I also have a SDB for oddball calibers I don't shoot much. Since it won't do rifle calibers you don't have much use for a SDB.

I agree also with the 650, I purchased my 550 in 1995 to load 38's and 45 ACP'S. But now the USPSA and IDPA bug bit me I purchased a 650 to provide the much needed practice ammo and now I wished I had originally bought the 650 full progressive years ago. I still have my 550 and use it for 38 special loads.

Nope, unfortunately it's only like 7,000. I'm so busy trying to pay off that 1050 that I only get to shoot about once a month. :P

The thing I forgot to write, was that when you decide to retire from reloading, you can probably recoup about 75% of cost of the press by selling. So that 1050 really only cost you say, $300-400?

Funny thing is that I just bought 7 pounds of powder, which will probably last me the next 5 years. Took me about 2 years to go through 3 pounds. That's how long powder lasts when loading to a 90 PF :lol: I really need to get out and shoot more often.

Take care,

Itchy

I voted for the 1050 as thats what I have used for the last ten years. I have had it set up for 45 acp, 40 s&w, 9mm, 38 spcl, and 45 colt. I can change over in about 45 minutes taking my time and cleaning it up as I go. I have owned a 550, a square deal and some lee presses. The 550 and square deal were good but a little slow.

By the way I cannot post on a reloading machine thread without linking this, I should have been a mathematician :) :

Keith

Have you notice, everyone here has multiple presses. I have a SDB to do pistol stuff 9 & 40 only. My 550 is for rifle stuff.

I have two presses, but one is no longer in use, it was from my rifle bench rest days. It sits in the garage.

I want my 650 to morph onto a 1050 tho :)

Have you notice, everyone here has multiple presses. I have a SDB to do pistol stuff 9 & 40 only. My 550 is for rifle stuff.

Two S1050s and a (now, little-used) SDB.

One 1050 is dedicated to .40, with a KISS bullet feeder recently attached (how did I ever lived without it??!!?!), and one setup for .45ACP. I keep the SDB for emergencies, but honestly, I don't know if I'll ever use it again.

I won a 550 at Northwest Championships in 1985 as 1st in C class. I had a choice of taking it or a Charter Arms .44. I already had a 450, but figured that I could sell it for more than I could the Bulldog. It's been used to load lots of ammo in various calibers. I sold the 450, but have kept the other presses--Herter's C type, Bonanza Co-Ax and a C-H Mark IV set up in .45.

The C-H is used to load almost all of my .45 ACP ammo and is about twice as fast as the 550. I use the 550 and the Co-Ax to load .308, .30-06, .223 and .257 Roberts. Cases are resized on the Co-Ax and everything else done on the 550. I also use the 550 to load some .45, .38/.357, and 9mm. The Herter's doesn't get used much anymore. About the only thing I use it for is to resize some brass as it is faster than the Co-Ax.

I've got 3 toolheads and 3 powder measures. One is set up for .308, one for .223 and the third is used for everything else.

All this talk about 650's and 1050's has me drooling all over myself again. I started reloading a little over a year ago and currently have 2 550's, one for 40 and the other for 45 or whatever else needs doing. Since my son and I are both shooting Limited, I have been thinking the past couple days that any "sane" person would see the wisdom of swapping a 550 for a 650 or 1050. BUT...

My "candy store eyes" say go for the 1050, but... then I look at the price difference of a 1050 to 650 and try to apply wisdom or maturity or something like that which says we're not consuming enough ammo to justify a 1050 and the extra $700 plus greenies, but... hasn't life taught me to always go for what you really want and the price paid will dim over time while the enjoyment will stay, but... $700 buys an awful lot of bullets/powder/brass, but... maybe $700 doesn't buy that much...

Jeeze, how does a person really decide which way to go??? Come on, there has to be a magic answer out there!!! Maybe I'll go to church next Sunday instead of the range, but...

Hi. I dont know if I can tell you anything differently than the other guys who've posted on this question, but that won't stop me from trying!!

I own a 550, 650, and 1050. No question the 1050 is the Cadillac, but it's MOSTLY a one-trick-pony. Yes you can change calibers but it's expensive and it takes a little time for set up. My best friend did it for years. It worked for Ed 'cause he would load up thousands of rounds in one caliber b4 changing over.

I started on the 550, lo these many years ago. If you have good hand/eye coordination (and plenty primer tubes!) you can load 600 rds/hr. You'll work up a sweat but it can be done easily enough. 550 is mechanically foolproof. Yes, you must index. I still load 7BR for the Master's, 7-08, .44 Mag, and .45 ACP. No worries, rapid caliber changes even if you have to change primer size.

650. Mine is set up for .40 and I've never changed. Change looks pretty simple, certainly not in the 1050 arena of difficulty. At the risk of getting flamed up <please, NO> I'll have to say the 650 has some quirks. It is not the cast-iron piece the 1050 is, but it is quite a bit faster loading than the 550. I like it very much, I just have to reallign my head when I load .40. It's not worse, it's just....different!

For me <a noted tightwad!> there's only one choice to make if you are not gonna load more than a couple thousand rds a month...unless money is no problem and your time is at a real premium. You can load your rds, change caliber rapidly, and save a few bucks with the 550, load any caliber you like (short of .50 BMG) as well. MY .02 Stipo