Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Impressions

Merlin Orr

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Spartan should be coming in any day now. Never having owned a Single Stack before, I don't know which mags I should buy for this gun. One thing I've learned in the last few years is you get what you pay for so I want to get good mags the 1st time.

Chip McCormik ?

Tripp ?

Whats your thoughts ???

My Spartan should be coming in any day now. Never having owned a Single Stack before, I don't know which mags I should buy for this gun. One thing I've learned in the last few years is you get what you pay for so I want to get good mags the 1st time.

Chip McCormik ?

Tripp ?

Whats your thoughts ???

AFAIK, Tripp has had the highest quality Control of all of them!!

Y

Chris,

I use the Wilsons. I hear the Tripps are nice, but expensive. I had several Novaks, and they worked well, but did have one base pad break on Miamisburg's concrete floor. If you get the Wilson 8rds. with the extended basepad, the bottom will have to be shaved to fit in the box for SSD. If you get 10rds for Ltd. 10, get the Wilson Bureaucrats. Don't bother with Metalform, I've seen them break the welded floors off, just sitting in the gun! I have some MagPack 8rds. I found on gunbroker and have been hording. These are excellent if you can find them, thick tubes and well formed feed lips, and a great follower. I think the Wilsons are the best mag for the money.

Chip McCormik ?

Tripp ?

Whats your thoughts ???

Chris, I have had very good luck with Chip McCormick's stainless mags in my 1911.

You all are gonna make me pull my damn credit card out and order a Spartan!

I, as well as my two Springfield 45's, really like the ACT-Novak mags that come with the Spartans. STi and Nighthawk are using them as their factory supplied mags, thus they may not be too bad. However, if all Spartan buyers here are going to dump those I'd be interested in buying them.

PM or email me to cut a deal.

THX,

The ACT mags tend to crack at the rear.

I had some mags that cracked but got 'em replaced for free from ACT-MAG. I've been using the replacements on and off for awhile with no issues.

According to Jay Hard of PSI, he says that some guns have a disconnector rail that's lower than others. This low rail can hit the back of the magazine and cause the crack.

The "Factory Shooter" for Nighthawk is a friend of mine. He showed me a whole sack full of cracked ACT mags. If the metal is of proper composition and heat treated correctly they will not crack.

Even though I don't care for Bill Wilson I like his mags.

Edited by Joe D

The "Factory Shooter" for Nighthawk is a friend of mine. He showed me a whole sack full of cracked ACT mags. If the metal is of proper composition and heat treated correctly they will not crack.

Even though I don't care for Bill Wilson I like his mags.

Joe,

I'm sure that if your friend sends the mags to ACT they'll replace them. If not, he can send them to me. ;) They work 100% with my guns while some Wilsons and some CMC's that I had, did not. I'm not trying to debate which is BEST, I'm just stating what works for me.

Cool?

Now, Yamil, WHERE'S MY SPARTAN? <_<

!!!!!!

I used my Wilson's (47D) and got some new "classic" blued McCormicks to use in the match with my Spartan and had zero problems with either of them. The blued McCormicks are nice and cheap and come with a good base pad that works well with the S&A magwell I have on my Spartan.

Neal in AZ