Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Impressions

Merlin Orr

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ACT-Mag supplied with the gun sucks - I used a Wilson 8-rounder for my range test.

Funny you say that, the one I got with my Legacy Sucked too!!

But OTOH, my Half Brother of a Different Father and Different Mother, NEMO loves the darn mags!! They work great on his guns!!!

Go figure!! When I get my Spartan, I'll have to give him the Mag!!

Y

Here are two Xmas presents from Santa from this part of the world. They belong to two of my friends who got their units during the Spartan's launch here in Manila.

Heavy's Spartan

img_0012.jpg

Arpee's Spartan

RLPsSpartan.jpg

STILabel.jpg

ArmscorLabel.jpg

Edited by Eye Cutter

Here are two Xmas presents from Santa from this part of the world. They belong to two of my friends who got their units during the Spartan's launch here in Manila.

Heavy's Spartan

img_0012.jpg

Arpee's Spartan

RLPsSpartan.jpg

STILabel.jpg

ArmscorLabel.jpg

thanks for posting the pics, e.c.

i shot 150 rounds through the spartan on the day i got it. 50rnds factory armscor fmj's and 100 rnds reloaded fmj's.

not a single failure. not fte's, no ftrb's, no premature slidelocks, no failure to slidelock on an empty mag. no nothing. it worked flawlessly.

the slide-to-frame fit is excellent. the barrel-to-slide fitting is excellent. so is the barrel-to-bushing-to-slide fit.

the gun is factory zeroed and shot to point of aim. it gave me 1hole-1in 5shot groups at 5 and 7 meters offhand. maybe i will lighten the trigger down to 2.5#. but maybe i wont. not sure yet.

the msh is a tad too long and does not fit flush. but it don't bother me much.

the one thing i would change out is the barrel link. while it does not negatively affect the accuracy or function of the spartan, it's ugly.

this is a very nice gun.

SNIP

The ACT-Mag supplied with the gun sucks - I used a Wilson 8-rounder for my range test.

SNIP

But this one is a keeper.

Feliz Año Nuevo Mr. Thomas! Since you're keeping the gun and don't like the mag, please let me know if I can help alleviate the clutter in your magazine drawer. The ACT mags work great in both my Springers.

:D

I put about 250 rounds through my Spartan today.

Once I got the rear adjustable sight dialed in, I could make upper A/B (head) shots offhand consistantly at 25.

No failures of any kind. Ammo was 230 grain, FMJ Win White Box.

This one's a keeper.

The only things I plan to do are:

* open up the rear sight,

* use a lighter recoil spring, and

* add some type of small mag well (the hole looks small after shooting double stacks for so long).

I forgot how much .45 ammo costs and the amount of recoil with stock springs. I picked up my brass and need some .45 dies now :D

I went the other direction and put a new FO from Caspian on the front with a smaller fiber. I can now pick it up/line it up easier in the rear notch and it seems a little more "precise" in aiming for the difficult shot.... :)

There are those that will HATE anything made by ARMSCOR. ;)

Ivan

That is a hrd reality!!

They make generalizations without testing the gear first!!

Personally, I can't wait to get the Spartan in my hands!!

Y

I put about 250 rounds through my Spartan today.

Once I got the rear adjustable sight dialed in, I could make upper A/B (head) shots offhand consistantly at 25.

This one's a keeper.

The only things I plan to do are:

* use a lighter recoil spring, and

* add some type of small mag well (the hole looks small after shooting double stacks for so long).

Cy can you elaborate about the rear sight? What is the current width, and what do you plan to open it up to ???

I like something in the neighborhood of .130 ~ .140 for my iron sights. (.105 front sight)

My Spartan should be in to my dealer in the next couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

My guiderod has no hole drilled for the paperclip.

For the other Spartan owners: does your GR have a hole?

Nope.

But I didn't really have any difficulty tearing it down without that, though.

Just remove the bushing, then slide the spring out the front. Guide rod comes out easy, after that.

My guiderod has no hole drilled for the paperclip.

For the other Spartan owners: does your GR have a hole?

No, though when I talked to STI yesterday they told me they're going to incoroporate one into future production.

Just remove the bushing, then slide the spring out the front. Guide rod comes out easy, after that.

On my article sample gun, the FLGR came far enough forward it was actually not possible to turn the bushing to field strip the gun unless you first stripped the frame/barrel/guide rod assembly off the frame. At that point the FLGR would move back far enough to allow the bushing to be turned. This is not a function of the FLGR being too long, but rather is caused by the way the front of the lower lugs, against which the back of the guide rod butts, is cut. This is no big deal but does change the field strip procedure somewhat.

Cy can you elaborate about the rear sight? What is the current width, and what do you plan to open it up to ???

I like something in the neighborhood of .130 ~ .140 for my iron sights. (.105 front sight)

My Spartan should be in to my dealer in the next couple of weeks. :rolleyes:

Chris,

The front sight is ~.125 wide. The rear notch is ~.120 wide. I don't want to spend the $ on a new front sight right now. I'll open the rear notch up to ~.140 - .150.

The STI guy told me the frame is made by Armscor, and the only fitting done by Armscor is the barrel (I don't remember if Armscor makes the barrel). All the internal parts are made by STI, and all the rest of the fitting is done by STI.

Actually, according to the fine folks at STI when I interviewed them for my article on the Spartan, the guns are completely assembled in the Philippines. Armscor makes the slide, frame and barrel; all the other parts (with the exception of the Italian LPA rear sight) are made by STI and then shipped to the Philippines. Armscor builds the guns, then sends them back to STI. At that point, STI turns them over to their QC people led by Chris Schirmer who go over them with a fine tooth comb. If any problems are found, it's generally easier for STI to fix them in-house rather than send them back to Armscor. A Spartan very rarely goes back to the Philippines once it's here.

...all the other parts (with the exception of the Italian LPA rear sight) are made by STI and then shipped to the Philippines. Armscor builds the guns, then sends them back to STI...

Judging from the three guns I've looked at, the beavertails, slide releases and grips are Armscor made parts. The front sight looks just like the sight that came on my Armscor Medallion. I assume the extractor, grip screws, etc. are going to be Filipino parts.

I'm just making an observation. I don't have a Spartan yet. But I don't have a problem with the Filipino stuff.

The STI guy told me the frame is made by Armscor, and the only fitting done by Armscor is the barrel (I don't remember if Armscor makes the barrel). All the internal parts are made by STI, and all the rest of the fitting is done by STI.

Actually, according to the fine folks at STI when I interviewed them for my article on the Spartan, the guns are completely assembled in the Philippines. Armscor makes the slide, frame and barrel; all the other parts (with the exception of the Italian LPA rear sight) are made by STI and then shipped to the Philippines. Armscor builds the guns, then sends them back to STI. At that point, STI turns them over to their QC people led by Chris Schirmer who go over them with a fine tooth comb. If any problems are found, it's generally easier for STI to fix them in-house rather than send them back to Armscor. A Spartan very rarely goes back to the Philippines once it's here.

...all the other parts (with the exception of the Italian LPA rear sight) are made by STI and then shipped to the Philippines. Armscor builds the guns, then sends them back to STI...

Judging from the three guns I've looked at, the beavertails, slide releases and grips are Armscor made parts. The front sight looks just like the sight that came on my Armscor Medallion. I assume the extractor, grip screws, etc. are going to be Filipino parts.

I'm just making an observation. I don't have a Spartan yet. But I don't have a problem with the Filipino stuff.

NO NO NO...tell me you are not jumping on the bandwagon of speculation and conjecture too, Andrew... :P:lol:;)

Edited by Merlin Orr

NO NO NO...tell me you are not jumping on the bandwagon of speculation and conjecture too, Andrew... :P:lol:;)

Merlin,

I don't want to be one of the "I've never seen nor shot one but they must be junk!" crowd. So I guess I had better put up or shut up. Damn! And my new year resolution was to get my credit card paid off!

Edited by Tokarev