Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Impressions

Merlin Orr

I think so, too, and my FLG would surely do that, but cutting on the guide head would be a simpler fix for the shooter and would constitute tinkering with the cheaper part. Of course the right answer would be for the Pacific Rim supplier to make it the right way in the first place.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got hold of a Spartan..and unfortunately had to sell to deal with some matters..

but from what i saw..i am impressed..the finish was decent..the fit was very nice. this one the slide and frame were fit nicely..yet cycling was extremely smooth. the barrel fit was good too..the rear sight was about two or three clicks from bottom..but shot to POA. The MSH was slightly long..and when fitting an SA magwell, it produced a very small gap.

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Catfish is the lucky new owner and he promises to wear it out..

I hope I can get another one soon. :D

Edited by eerw

Indeed, hey, that's my new gun!! :lol:

Shot the Spartan for the first time tonight and was very very impressed. Are there "better" 1911s out there? Yes there are! At the price?? HELL NO!

As pointed out, slide to frame fit is excellent. When I first checked it out, cycling the slide by hand, I thought eerw had some slide glide on the gun because it was sooooo smooth. But nope, when I broke 'er open to inspect, no slide glide and the pistol was practically dry. Very impressed at how smooth it is.

As for the gap between the mag well and the frame - I looked at it and had to squint to see it and don't really care. Far as I'm concerned, this is a work gun, and it's gonna get a LOT of work. I told eerw that I am gonna flat wear it out and that's my plan as I foray into the mad mad world of limited 8. :)

The two changes that I will likely make to the pistol will be to replace the front sight with a thinner one and to put on an ambi safety. Other than that, I suspect the gun will be going to Tripp by the end of the year because I'm going to wear the finish off it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
My new spartan came with a green fiber optic installed instead of the red. Anyone seen this yet and is it maybe the next batch of pistols?

shane

Mine also came with a green fiber optic insert. It also has the "short frame" as seen by the protruding mainspring housing.

• 3 weeks later...
A suggestion for inspection of the lower lugs....

After you shoot a hundred rounds or so check the lower lugs at the front of the link pin. Benny did an after the first case of ammo inspection and, on both mine and Benny's gun, the slide release pin had hammered into the lugs ahead of the link and made an indention. That area has to be re contoured to allow clearance for the slide release pin. I recontured mine by grinding a new contour which allows a little clearance. Mine required about 20 thou. removed in an arc around the front of the link pin. If your gun shows the same clearance problems you will see it easily when you look at the front of the link pin area.

I noticed when cleaning my gun the other night that my barrel lugs are beat on a bit. What IS the best fix, Im reading several options here. I tried a shock buff in the gun when it was new and it got beat to oblivion in 100 rounds or so.

Also, I noticed that the feed lips on the mag that came with my gun, Novak I think, are cracked. I use this mag exclusively as a "barny mag". It may have had 16 rounds through it while accually firing the gun.

Thanks

I put a shock buff in mine when I first got it, and during cleaning last night, was inspecting it ...... no problems here. I also looked at the lower lugs of my barrel, while doing some moderate polishing, and noticed NOTHING.

Wonder if the shock buff has anything to do with that ?