Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Impressions

Merlin Orr

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2K for a Nikon lens...!!!??? My Canon S2 works great, costs $400.00 and I can post the pictures same as the Nikon... :P:lol::D
But there's now way that your S2 is as BIG as my D2X :wacko:

But you boys are still talking Nikon ---- when everyone knows that real professionals shoot Canons...... :ph34r::ph34r::lol::lol:

Eye Cutter,

It sounds like you may be talking about doing the blue "instead of", whereas I thought you were looking to add that on. I kind of associate blue guns as being pretty. I don't usually think of blue, nor parkerizing, as being a real tough finish for working guns. Parkerizing...I could do in the garage. I'd have to send the gun off to get blued.

Back to the D2X vs S2. Is the D2X going to make me a Pro photographer? :huh:

Good point!!

Bigger? Bullshit..I'm a Texan! :lol:;)

I'm PuertoRican, Lebanese, Italian,German!!

I have A$$hole from all sides!!

All I can offer is my personal opinion of the item. I knowingly paid the price and have no buyer's remorse.. :)

Good point too, if you think it's worth the $$, it is!!

But you boys are still talking Nikon ---- when everyone knows that real professionals shoot Canons...... :ph34r::ph34r::lol::lol:

For Sports, Abolutely!!!

The 1DMIIN is the best out there!!

In the Studio, I don't need the Full Frame 1DsMKII, the D2X does what I need, and so far none of my customers has ever kicked back a job due to the fact that I didn't shoot on a FF Body!!

Back on Topic, I should get my Spartans in a couple of weeks!! Merlin has a great idea, send it to VT and get it Chromed!!

That is after I Stipple the Front Strap!!

Y

Edited by ysued

I really like the SVI magwell too. There are several magwells I like and when I started thinking about how much they cost I had a thought. I decided to take pictures and measurements of two or three different ones I like and then add my own design ideas to them in a rough drawing. After all of that was said and done I went to visit my step-brother who is a machinist and he is going to make up four or five different ones for me for nothing out of billet aluminum. If any of you have a machinist friend you might think about taking them a magwell that you have as a guideline along with measurements and pictures of what you might want different and let them make up one or two out of small scrap pieces of billet for next to nothing...or at least WAYYYY less than buying some of the new name brand magwells. Also, some of the machinists have interns that need little projects to practice with and the magwells might be a good thing for that. If you have a local tech school with a machine shop they might do it for just the cost of material. It's just something to think about and you would have the only one like it. Custom made baby!!

Back on Topic, is this SV Magwell worth the extra cash??

Is it going to turn me into a GM ?? Or Am I going to have to put in the same amount of Practice with either Magwell to get my GM Card?? :blink:

you see it includes the MS housing thus its expensive! :ph34r: Also who cares if your not a gm? If you cant shoot good might as well look good :D

Range Report!

Just got my Spartan on Friday.

(Thanks Scott!)

I took it out to the range on Saturday and ran 250 round of WWB thru it without any problems. Then I shot a 150rd IDPA match with it today.

Guys, I LOVE this gun!

The slide is like glass, the trigger crisp and right at about 3-4#, and the controls are very positive. Both Wilson and Chip McCormick mags ran perfectly, as well as the Novack that came with it.

The sight picture is awesome and as for accuracy.....

I was able to hit a golf ball at 15 yards on the first shot. It took me two at 25 yards and 4 at 50(!!!) yards to hit it.

The ONLY two observations that I have to make that are AT ALL negative are these:

Plastic MSH: Fixed by putting on a S&A magwell.

Plastic Trigger: What's up with that? Oh, well, if I end up hating it, I can always swap itout.

I bought this gun as a backup to my SA Loaded model, with Springfield Custom shop trigger work. But I think I've just reversed that and the SA is now the backup for this one!

Guys, you are NOT going to find a better 1911 for this kind of money!

(Sorry, no pic. I can't find the CF card for my Digital camera.)

Merlin,

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I just bought a Rock Island Tactical. I think we can consider this gun to be the Spartan's ugly sister. Anyway, frame to slide fit and barrel fitment are very good and the gun's got a fairly decent trigger out of the box. Overall, a very nice piece. Price was $399.00 before taxes.

I'll hopefully get some time to take some pictures and get some rounds downrange in a day or two.

Marry Christmas!

I've held off on an opinion of the Spartan until I could get my hands on one. I wasn't about to speculate, praise, or criticize the gun, sight unseen, based on price, marketing propaganda, etc. Well, my first shipment of them has arrived and I have to say the Spartan IMO is, without a doubt, the best value out there in a .45. I was honestly expecting, not necessarily a poorly fit gun, but at least one that was somewhat representative of the low price. What I was surprised to find was a tight slide to frame fit, nicely fit barrel, a thumb safety that IMO was better fitted and was smoother than some I've encountered on other higher priced STI models, and an action that had some pre-travel, but was clean, with no creep, and broke at 5 pounds with my RCBS pull scale. The only semi-negative thing I could say about the gun was the mainspring housing was just a touch longer than the frame. Not a big deal though as I'll be putting a S&A magwell on the one I'll be keeping for myself. <_<

Back on Topic, is this SV Magwell worth the extra cash??

Is it going to turn me into a GM ?? Or Am I going to have to put in the same amount of Practice with either Magwell to get my GM Card?? :blink:

you see it includes the MS housing thus its expensive! :ph34r: Also who cares if your not a gm? If you cant shoot good might as well look good :D

Does anyone know if the SV Magwell on a SS is allowed/legal in the SS Division?????

I went over to cpty1's house today (www.cpwsa.com). Chris just got some Spartans in and had one sitting out.

I could not believe the price for this pistol with these extras and fit and finish. I had no intention of buying a gun today, but since I don't have a 1911, I had to buy it!

BTW - the frame is stamped "Armscor". My trigger pull is clean and crisp at 5#.

Edited by chp5

The warrenty for the Spartan will be handled here in the US.

Ivan

Any idea who will be the distributor/dealer(s) here in Canada?

www.freedomventures.ca

These guys are the Canadian Distributors.

Sean will have a list of Canadian dealers.

Edited by Viper 7

For an article on the STI Spartan, two days ago I fired one with nine different .45 ACP loads. It worked perfectly with all of them. From the bench at 50 feet (the maximum distance possible at the indoor range on which I was firing), two of the loads (American Eagle ball and Hornady 200-gr. XTP) posted groups of 0.8". The Federal 165-gr. Hydra-Shok and 230-gr. "Classic" JHP (basically the Hydra-Shok without the post) both gave me groups of an inch flat. The adjustable rear sight had more than enough adjustment range to zero groups for both elevation and windage.

It's not the purtiest thing in the world. That bead blasted blued finish does make for a drab gun. The polymer mainspring housing is so overly long it actually protrudes below the frame. Ick. The ACT-Mag supplied with the gun sucks - I used a Wilson 8-rounder for my range test. But the heart of the gun, the slide/frame/barrel fit, is rock solid - and stayed that way even after I got some rounds through the gun. Great accuracy, totally reliable, great fit, great price. Normally I don't buy my article sample guns, they just go back to the gun company when test and eval is complete. But this one is a keeper.