Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Impressions

Merlin Orr

Received a new STI Spartan today and thought I would share first impressions with those interested. When I first opened the STI plastic gun case the Spartan appeared very similar to a Trojan with the main visual difference the matte parkarized finish. A single mag was included with the gun. The mag is an ACT mag, made in Italy, with Novak stamped low on the side near the basepad. The mag looks to be of good quality and drops free of the nicely factory beveled mag opening with no binding. The slide locks back solidly on the empty mag. The safetys worked and functioned smoothly. The thumb safety was excellent. It worked up and down easily with a nice positive feel on both engagement and disengagement. The Spartan I received has what looks to be the same adjustable rear sights as found on a Para even down to the "LPA" marking on the side of the sight. The front sight is a FO sight with an medium diameter orange FO insert. The slide is a standard round top affair with STI front and rear cocking serrations. The frame is cast and has no special cuts of checkering. Slide to frame fit on my gun is excellent with virtually no movement either vertically or side to side. The barrel lockup is very tight with the hood clearance tight and even. The unramped barrel and full length guide rod are chromed and the barrel appears to have a nice throat and polish from the factory. The inside of the slide shows a nice finish and the disconnector rail is nicely polished and very smooth. The trigger was very nice with a bare hint of grit during the take up. I suspect the trigger will be excellent after a few rounds or some dry fire has a chance to wear it in. The pull weight fooled both Benny and myself as we both guessed it to be around 2.5 lbs and missed the actual measured pull weight of ~3.5 lbs.

I did not have time to take the gun out and shoot it so no range report from me until the Ft. Benning 3 Gun Match is history...

On the negative side.... Not a lot to put here. The front FO was slightly un level across the top at the rear of the sight. This could (will) be remedied by a couple of swipes of the file and a dab of cold blue. And, even though the parkerized finish was nice and even, I personally don't like a park finish... Personal taste only I guess.

My overall impression of the gun is that it gives up nothing to guns costing near twice the price. This one will have a S&A magwell and as soon as I get back from Ft. Benning and I think that's all it needs. I will rate it as an excellent buy

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Skinner and his Wife were present during last weekend's gunshow here in Manila. All the complete sti spartan pistols and sti frame kits were sold within the first 3 days of the show.

There is currently a waiting time for a production unit of a couple of months back here and only if you make a reservation fee!

My hats off to the Skinners (STI) and the Tuasons (ARMSCOR) for a sure winner!

I handled one at A4 and I think its an amazing value. Its as good as a 1K Kimber. I second the barrel replacement(havent shot one to prove its grouping ability but it looked like a cheaper one) and trigger is impressive but I would tune it. Checkering and a magwell and you have a gun that rivels a Les Baer Premier with a $500+savings

the slide does not have the usual sti stirrup-cut. i believe it is an armscor slide marked with the sti logo. the armscor slides are very tough as proven with a lot of ipsc type pistols (high volume shooting)being used here.

its more expensive here than what it's going for in the States! it retails here in Manila for P35,000. that's $700 at P50:$1

Just want to add my quick .02....... I fondled this gun on the STI table during Area 4 this weekend. It is a SWEET gun for the $$. Kimber and Springfield are gonna sweat this one-- makes me almost want to shoot single stack. (Almost!) :)

-Mike

I payed $768 for my Kimber custom II, and after reading up on the spartan I feel like a shmuck! I put grips, S&A magwell/mainspring housing, trigger job, and I must have at least $200 more in mods. Add bomars, and an F/O front, and my $1100 kimber still wont say "STI" on it.. ;)

thats cheaper than a mil-spec "loaded"! it doesnt really get any cheaper than that for a decent 1911.

congrats on a great purchase you guys! I love a good deal! :wub:

I looked at one at Area 4 (I had a lot of time since I DQ'd after 1 1/2 stages!).

The STI guy told me the frame is made by Armscor, and the only fitting done by Armscor is the barrel (I don't remember if Armscor makes the barrel). All the internal parts are made by STI, and all the rest of the fitting is done by STI.

There was very little play in the slide. Trigger seemed pretty crisp. At $670 MSRP it seems like a no-brainer. And at this point I feel like an authority on no-brainers.