Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Impressions

Merlin Orr

He does not need to send them back to ACT. Nighthawk provides his guns and mags. I don't think you would want any cracked mags.

I find it odd that a $2,500 custom pistol comes with a $6.00 magazine!

I was just going through my supply of Novak's and found a cracked feed lip on one. These were given to me by PSI after I sent them a number of cracked mags. Supposedly this was a heat treat problem with early mags and the one that just cracked is from a "good" batch.

I still think the $9.00 generic "Power Mag" from CDNN is the best bet for a decent mag on the cheap.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Factory Shooter" for Nighthawk is a friend of mine. He showed me a whole sack full of cracked ACT mags. If the metal is of proper composition and heat treated correctly they will not crack.

Even though I don't care for Bill Wilson I like his mags.

If I had a bag full of busted gear that might be exchanged I would sent them back. The folks who made them need to see the problem and I think a sponser needs to have his money taken care of better than that.----------Larry

Edited by lkytx

He does not need to send them back to ACT. Nighthawk provides his guns and mags. I don't think you would want any cracked mags.

No, I wouldn't want TO USE any cracked mags, but I would ship them to PSI and have them exchanged for new ones. It would also be good feedback for them to correct the problem, like Larry indicated.

I'm sure there are many other mags out there that may be better than these, but so far after trying Wilsons and CMC's, the ACT's worked the best in my pair of 1911's. Maybe it is that my pistols are as bad as the mags and they get along well! ;)

Cheers!

Edited by Nemo

No, I wouldn't want TO USE any cracked mags, but I would ship them to PSI and have them exchanged for new ones. It would also be good feedback for them to correct the problem, like Larry indicated.

PSI is aware of the cracking problem because I've spoken with them about it and it has been reported on a number of the 1911 boards. Jay says it's only happening to a small percentage of the mags he's shiped. He says that it seems most likely caused by the disconnector rail contacting the feed lips. On the mag I just found with the crack, there's no sign of finish wear on the back of the mag or on the outside of the feed lips so I don't know what's up. Heat treatment was supposedly the problem but Jay told me that all the cracked mags he's sent back to Italy have been in spec.

I agree that you should send the mags back for replacement but where does it end? I guess you can feel confident in knowing that you'll get fresh new mags a couple times a season?

I suspect it is the same cut as the RIA Tactical. If so it is the same as Kimber.

One thing I have found interesting is all of this mag discussion. I am yet to find a quality mag that does not work in my 1911s. I have used Metal Form, Wilson, CMC, Mec-Gar and generic GI mags with equal success.

Tokarev, did you ever check the Spartan barrel lock up?

Edited by Joe D

Frustrating myself...

Im a little over half way to getting one of these but why cant them make them in .40?

I reload LOTS of .40 since my wife and I both shoot it. I have .45 dies and all for my 550 but I just ordered a case feeder for it in .40. Im lazy when it comes to reloading and dont really want to switch back and forth from .40 to .45. I dont plan on shooting SS on a full time basis so paying $600.00 for the Spartan versus $900.00 for a Trojan is VERY appealing. Oh what to do... I know this should be a no brainer and I would imagine that a Spartan in .45 would be the no nonsense way to go since the 1911 platform was designed for the .45 and guns in this caliber seem to run 99.9% with little or no tweaking. Do the lead SWC rounds feed well in this gun or are you all using round nose FMJ, lead cost is another one of my considerations.

An STI 1911 SS for ~ $600 is exciting news. I have a question about the fit of the Spartan MSH. It has been reported that the MSH is a little long for the Spartan frame. It is the MSH that's too long for the frame, right? It isn't that the frame is shorter than normal for a 1911, correct? Sorry if this has already been addressed here or elsewhere, or if an error in grip frame length is just not possible.

Thanks.

Oh yes, can't fail to comment what a great site this is or how interestig the info discussed on this thread and others is.

An STI 1911 SS for ~ $600 is exciting news. I have a question about the fit of the Spartan MSH. It has been reported that the MSH is a little long for the Spartan frame. It is the MSH that's too long for the frame, right? It isn't that the frame is shorter than normal for a 1911, correct? Sorry if this has already been addressed here or elsewhere, or if an error in grip frame length is just not possible.

Thanks.

Oh yes, can't fail to comment what a great site this is or how interestig the info discussed on this thread and others is.

AFAIK the MSH is too long, I know others have replaced the MSH for Magwells and I haven't heard of any complaints.

There's a post on one of the 1911 boards concerning this. The poster said that when he installed an S&A mag well he had about a 1/16" gap between the frame and the forks on the mag well. I can't find the post now but I'll post a link if I can.

That is correct, there is a small gap with the S&A magwell.

There's a post on one of the 1911 boards concerning this. The poster said that when he installed an S&A mag well he had about a 1/16" gap between the frame and the forks on the mag well. I can't find the post now but I'll post a link if I can.