Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

06 Open Nats Gossip Thread...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just noticed that everyone is putting up a big deal about aiming?

don't we all aim and practice this? i guess what everyone whants to see is hosing and shooting really fast. it looks really entertaining as suppose to aiming long distance shots that slows down a shooter and looks kinda boaring?

I just noticed that everyone is putting up a big deal about aiming?

don't we all aim and practice this? i guess what everyone whants to see is hosing and shooting really fast. it looks really entertaining as suppose to aiming long distance shots that slows down a shooter and looks kinda boaring?

I don't think anyone was making a big deal about aiming....shooting multiple poppers and classic targets at 35 yds is just not something we are all used to. Putting Open and Production together did raise some eyebrows. How do you challenge an open shooter while still making the match "production reasonable"? Practical? You are not the only one that aims or likes doing it!

holy crap - Saul's reporting that Voigt's been DQ'd!

Sounds like some tough competition right now, order as of tonight:

Tilley

Max

JoJo

Saul

Henning

without seeing anyone else not in the super squad.....

Edited by Catfish

what the hell did jake do on stage 13??? 320pts in penalties? ultimate gaming?

At ONLY 3.86 compared to Chris T. 15 sec I would think equipment Failure.....

On Stage 18 it has Chris T. with a DNF???? Could that be a mistake as I do not see the rest of his squad listed as shooting that one.....

Does the USPSA occasionally change stage procedures at the last moment? Stage 8 (as available from the Nats website) states "on signal, retrieve gun and magazines from table". I just watched Chris' run on Saul's website, and I could have sworn that he took the mag from his pouch rather than from the table.

????

Does the USPSA occasionally change stage procedures at the last moment? Stage 8 (as available from the Nats website) states "on signal, retrieve gun and magazines from table". I just watched Chris' run on Saul's website, and I could have sworn that he took the mag from his pouch rather than from the table.

????

yes, some of the descriptions have been changed. some of the stages were also changed a little. as we walked through one stage just after registration, the staff realized they had a 34-round stage! more than a few people had already walked it and left. just before we shot stage 13 someone noticed that the clamshell target was available from a different location without activating it. some of us planned to shoot it, but they added a few no-shoots to hide that view (we were the first squad to shoot it). Edited by driver8M3

????

yes, some of the descriptions have been changed. some of the stages were also changed a little. as we walked through one stage just after registration, the staff realized they had a 34-round stage! more than a few people had already walked it and left. just before we shot stage 13 someone noticed that the clamshell target was available from a different location without activating it. some of us planned to shoot it, but they added a few no-shoots to hide that view (we were the first squad to shoot it).

I thought you were not allowed to shoot a clamshell target until it was activated. I thought you got a procedure for that. correct me if I am wrong.

Pk

????

yes, some of the descriptions have been changed. some of the stages were also changed a little. as we walked through one stage just after registration, the staff realized they had a 34-round stage! more than a few people had already walked it and left. just before we shot stage 13 someone noticed that the clamshell target was available from a different location without activating it. some of us planned to shoot it, but they added a few no-shoots to hide that view (we were the first squad to shoot it).

I thought you were not allowed to shoot a clamshell target until it was activated. I thought you got a procedure for that. correct me if I am wrong.

Pk

Yep, you are wrong. Freestyle . . . shoot 'em as you see 'em. Its up to the stage designer to conceal activated targets (swingers, clamshells, etc.) so that they cannot be engaged prior to activation.

Is Paper Killer wrong? I thought the rules were changed to require activiting targets before engaging them (can't verify because I don't have my book with me). At the 1997 Limited Nationals, the Super Squad was required to reshoot a stage because they engaged a swinger while it was static. Yes, poor stage design and stage procedure did not prevent them from doing so. The stage was arbitrated and the corrective action was they got a reshoot. I remember this well because my squad followed them. We were first on the stage the next morning. When we tried the same thing everyone screamed that we could not do it. So, the arbitration was filed by my squad. The bummer was it backed everything up and we were an hour and 1/2 behind when we finally got on the stage. We shot our last stage practically in the dark - which sucked because it was a speed shoot with head-shots.

At the Fla State match this weekend, there was a similar situation with a swinger that could be engaged without activating it. One squad shot the swinger while it was static. Several CROs and the rangemaster determined that it could not be shot that way. So, they required the squad to re-shoot the stage the correct way. It was one slip that was not caught by a set-up crew who busted their butts to put together some pretty fun stages.

Again, properly placed no-shoots etc. can prevent situations like this. However, not everyone is perfect and people can miss things. My feeling is this - if the target is a moving target, we all know why it is there. It is intended to be shot while it is moving etc. I'll shoot it the right way, the way it was intended.

Am I starting to sound like an IDPAer????????? :huh:

????

Pk

Yep, you are wrong. Freestyle . . . shoot 'em as you see 'em. Its up to the stage designer to conceal activated targets (swingers, clamshells, etc.) so that they cannot be engaged prior to activation.

?

9.9.3 Moving targets will always incur failure to shoot at and miss

penalties if a competitor fails to activate the mechanism, which

initiates the target movement.

Edited by lynn jones

9.9.3 Moving targets will always incur failure to shoot at and miss

penalties if a competitor fails to activate the mechanism, which

initiates the target movement.

9.9.3 addresses targets which cannot be seen / shot at prior to activation, which is how most activated targets SHOULD be setup. If you can see it and shoot at it without activating it, and you do so and get the appropriate hits, the target is scored with no misses, no penalties. You would still have to shoot at any activator targets to avoid miss / FTE penalties on them.

Edited by davidball

One more tidbit ... they DID activate the target ... after they shot it!

I believe that the call at the State Match was incorrect but abide by their decision to give the re-shoot. The same situation happened on Stage 8 of the state match and the competitor was (IMO) wrongly penalized for engaging a static swinger after the activating popper failed to fall when hit. He shot the popper a second time (from a different position, after engaging the swinger) and it fell on the second hit, eliminating the calibration challenge.

Forward falling steel bites. At this match, on the soft surface, without bumpers, with the latching system that is in place... really BITES.

Try multiple stages with clean hits, squarely in the circle and the steel not falling. Don't even think of a calibration, it will fall! Essentially it,it appears that there are several solvable problems. The poppers need proper bumpbers so that when they fall, they don't hit the frames and change the alignment. Second, the poppers could have been placed on top of a piece of 3/4" plywood, about 16" wide, by 48" long. This would have kept them from driving into the turf. There needs to be a design modification to the latch. The current latch seems to favor either a very light load (9mm) or a very heavy load (38 Super, major) People in the middle seem to have the most problem. I think it may be to do with the impact pulse on the popper face and the design of the latch.

Otherwise...

Absoulutely fantastic facility, and it is not complete. Great people and beautiful surroundings. Not fatr form hotel, restaurants, or airport.

I look forward to being back here at least once or twice a year.

One comment on scheduling. We need to arrange for matches to end on Friday. That gives two days to get home without a day off in week 2. From here almost anyone can drive in in two days.

Jim

what the hell did jake do on stage 13??? 320pts in penalties? ultimate gaming?

Jake had a squib.

We were there for Voight's DQ, very unfortunate. Stage 14, he drew and hit the sill of the port and his gun tumbled right through the port and landed on the other side...

I guess he really does have a relaxed, neutral grip.

(We can have a little fun with the 'Prez', too!)

You're kidding, but I actually wondered the same thing.......how can you hold onto the gun so loosely that it goes flying when you bump a windowsill?

Didn't TGO have a training point where he would have students take a grip on the gun, then he would walk up and yank the gun out of their hands to show them they weren't hanging on hard enough?

MV obviously knows what he's doing, but shooting successfully in Open must be very different that shooting successfully in Revolver. We hang on to those wheelguns hard.

:P OK I made it ...I was not the first one to get a FTDR at a USPSA shoot. :)

But on my last shot on the last target,, of the last stage, :huh: I got my only Mike of the match. I don't know if that is good or bad , but it is what it is.

This is allmost as much fun as ... Oh never mind.

I had a great time thanks to every one of the great Staff

Jamie B)