Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are Chip 10rders As Good As Wilsons?

steel1212

CMC gets my vote. I learned my lesson with Wilson with my .38 super mags.

Yeah, its for .45s. I've got one wilson now that for some reason won't drop free. Its like its dragging on something. I don't really want to replace it and I want to get a new "set" of 10rders so I was looking at chips. It would cost me around 100$ to get 5 of those and around 125$ if I get lucky for wilsons.

I use wilson 10rd mags and would buy them again with no hesitation. A buddy used CMC 10rd mags for awhile but kept having to tweak or fuss with them. He now has Tripp 10rd mags and sold the CMCs. I like the metal stops on the wilsons vs. plastic for the others.

You won't find a stronger spring anywhere than the one that's in a CMC 10-rounder, and you need that strength. Don't believe what you hear about the supported front style Wilson follower being a superior design. I don't buy it. The spring supports the front of a CMC (shooting star) follower just fine. Plus, it's steel. It won't wear out and it will ALWAYS lock your slide back when empty. I prefer the CMC base pad design as well.

You can have problems with any magazine. Fix or replace. They're not that expensive. Find the ones that work best in you pistol. For me, it's always been CMC.

And no, it's not because I'm from Texas. ;) I started with Wilson Magazines and moved on because I had problems with them.

I started out with CMC 10 rdrs. They kept giving me problems (Also have CMC 8rdrs that have been flawless). I finally replaced them with wilson 10rdrs and they have been flawless for several years now. To chips credit he did replace every one I had a problem with. The problem was soft feed lips. When loaded the spot where the case rim touches the back of the feed lips was bieng bent when the rounds were pushed up against them by that powerful spring. after awhile it caused failure to feed issues. It may have been a specific lot that missed proper heat treat, but I am only speculating. Non the less it made me look elsewhere for realible 10 rdrs.

If you are using an Ed Brown or similar mag well you will have to modifiy the plastic base on the CMC 10 rd mag.But they work fine.

The exact reason I like the CMC mags is the plastic base pad that STOPS the mag from over insertion. Wilson's are great mags but I have sheared several of the little metal stops off when cramming the mags in at speed effectively locking the gun up and zeroing a stage.

All this being said.

TRIPP mags rock! :D;)

I just broke the tab off of 1 of my Wilson 10 rounders so I am only buying McCormick's from now on. I have 5 of the old style & 8 of the new style McCormick's but so many people on this forum said that Wilson was the best magazine made so I had to try some.

I had several jambs with the CMC 10 rounders but the Wilson's feed flawlessly. I used them for almost 2 years of L-10 shooting. ( 42 matches and practice) I also broke a tab during (I assume) a slide lock reload. I say assume because I noticed the tab was broke after the match! I emailed a digital picture of the tube to Wilson and they sent a new tube!

Edited by ChuckS

I started with cmcs, the tubes went out of spec often, and i had to constantly tweak them into spec. I then sold them for tripps, but I had some cracking with some tripps right before the Nats, and so I bought more cmcs.

My feelings are that you need to keep an eye on cmcs, but when they are running they are great.

Tripps seem to be the shit when they are new, but I am extrememly hard on my 10rounder during reloads, so Ill eventually gravitate to cmcs completely, provided I stay with the ss in L10.

I have five .45 caliber CMC 10-rounders that I use for USPSA L-10 competition in my Springfield Black Stainless. After a year and a half and more than 10K rounds through them, the only problem I've had is that one recently has begun to stick in the magwell when ejected. The feed lips had spread out just a bit too much. A minute or so of attention with a pliers and the mag was back in service. Other than that minor issue, I haven't had a single problem with any of my CMCs including my 8-rounders.

I like CMC mags. I have gotten one bum one form the factory, it had a very mild s-shpaed bend to it. Fed fine, but wouldn't drop free. They could use a little better shaping of the feed lips form the factory, but I just use a piece of .45 brass with a 230gr RN shoved into it backward until flush as a mandrel and a pair of pliers covered with masking tape to tweak them to the right width.

Mork like a charm.

I have both Wilson and CMC 10 rounders in 45. I have had no problems with either. I do prefer the Wilson's for match use. They seem to make the reload smoother. Just seem's I get a more consistent grasp on the mag. I am sure this bias could be overcome with some practice.

I use only CMC 10 rounders in L10. I've never used Wilsons but from what others say I'm sure they are good.

However, I like the plastic base pad of the CMC to give me something to grab onto when pulling the mag from my belt. Also, I've RO'ed several people using Wilson mags who had their gun lock up by over inserting the Wilson at slide lock. (Eventhough I try not to ever go to slide lock it does sometimes happen).

My CMC's do have to be smacked occasionally as the upper right of the mag will bend out from repeated drops on an indoor range floor. When one fails to drop free I just put it on the bench and tap it a couple times with a hammer and it's good to go.

Chris