Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plain Black Front Sight

Who ever said.."Once you shoot you will Never go back" ? ;) I started out shooting standard bomars... switched to FO's when they came out .. way cool..possibly better transitions....got picked on and explained the facts of life by Todd J. switched to . 095 bomars front and rear.... haven't looked back...of course finding sight black locally is kind of fun...especially when the guys at the gun shop sell 1 case a year between 2 or 3 of us locally ;)

Take Care

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am shooting a black sight because my vision is so screwed up the fiber optic often looks like an offset figure eight, and a black sight always looks the same look.

IMHO opinion the best compromise would be a Brazos Custom lightning rod front sight. It is a 0.090" wide blade that uses a recessed 0.040" diameter fiber optic rod. Due to the recess I got a more pronounced black sight for distance and tight shots, while still having the FO for quick shots. post-3253-1160670397.gif

...IMHO opinion the best compromise would be a Brazos Custom lightning rod front sight. It is a 0.090" wide blade that uses a recessed 0.040" diameter fiber optic rod....

I agree. The Brazos MicroDot front sight is one of the best compromise between plain black and FO front sight.

After reading this post last night I went out the range and practiced today. I started my session with my normal FO front sight (SV Sight Tracker), half way thru I took a black marker and covered the FO in the sight. I immediately started picking up the front sight faster and my hits were much closer together on the targets. I shot at 7,10,15 and 25 yards. It was much eaiser for me to focus on the solid black front sight.

In the past I have had a tendecy to line the FO up with the top of the rear sight because it drew my eye to it. Do others find themselves doing this also?

Edited by Jaxshooter

Have any of you considered the possibility that the process of switching to a different sight, regardless of which direction you're switching, has the effect of making you shoot better (at least temporarily) because you tend to look more closely at the sight, noticing that difference??

This is actually a trick of Jerry Miculek's. He's been known to switch to a different front sight (for example, from his trademark gold bead to a green fiber optic) right before a big match, knowing the difference will enhance his focus on the front sight a bit.

I've read this post a while back, and tried a black front sight. It was much slower for me to transition with the gun. I did see how it's more accurate (but not much). So, I was thinking about how to make the sight switch out from black to FO easier. I truely hate sight black or anything else that reminds me of black shoe polish (military). Then you have the potential problem of different sight pictures with different front sights. Then I thought, "why doesn't someone just make a black FO rod. Then you can just switch out the FO rods."

It's gotta be cheaper than redesigning a completly new solid black sight, and cleaner than messing with sight black. Then you could change back and forth at your hearts desire.

Take a FO rod. Spray paint it black. Swap as desired. Problem solved?

Very good idea. They do make a black fiber insert, but since it's a special order you have to by it by the mile I think. You would never be able to sell all of it in 10 lifetimes.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind, it wouldn't have to be fiber optic material. FO material is made to gather and focus light. This wouldn't need those properties. It would only have to fill the hole, and be able to cut and melt in place like the FO's do.

Have any of you considered the possibility that the process of switching to a different sight, regardless of which direction you're switching, has the effect of making you shoot better (at least temporarily) because you tend to look more closely at the sight, noticing that difference??

I think you are on to something. I've gone back and forth a few times (back to FO now). However I think it is more then a trick of the day type deal. Whenever I switch I learn something new about front sight movement, and I don't really forget it when I switch back. I find that I get better whenever I switch back and forth.

That aside, I'll my opinion on what makes a good FO sight. I think that .040 is a must. Nothing thicker should even be considered. The ability to make the dot small is also critical. The micto-dot idea is cool, but also learing to install your normal FO sigth without making a huge mushroom helps as well. I'm also on board with the idea that a lot of FO's don't leave enough of the top visible, and that leads to shooting over your rear sight. If the top of the front sight is visible, I don't aim with the FO, I aim with the top of the sight, and I use the FO to find the front sight. Seration don't do much for me, so I'll take them or leave them, as they don't bother me either.

I just switched from a Black Blade FS to a new gun w FO. Now I hate dots. at least I hate 3 dots. but with this .90 dot on this new gun I'm shooting better than ever, constistantly. I dont think its the color of the site though. I think its the shape of the site, so I am really thinking about what SA friday is saying. The FO can obviously be removed from its mount and an ABS rod could replace it for pennies. After reading this thread, and the advice from others I might be shooting better because I just recently changed sites and colors, not the gun. But it is my first S_I, and I think that may have a lot to do with it too :blink:

Taran Butler & Matt have an interesting discussion about iron sights on BurkettVideo radio show #18. Mostly about FS & RS width but worth hearing. About 36 or 38 minutes in.

My very first Ltd gun was a G20 with Millett adjustables. Huge FS, very cheap, soft aluminum. I cut the ramp out, made it a vertical face, put in serrations using a 30deg jewelers file. Wish I had a photo of that.

Probably about 8 lines per inch with flat black paint over it. Really crude and really visible. Several top top shooters told me that they liked the sight picture a lot.

• 2 months later...

I was reading through this thread last week and thought that the next time my fiber falls out, I will try leaving it out and see what happens. Last night at a match, im making ready for the 2nd out of 3 stages and I notice my fiber is gone. Panick strikes me as I wonder what I'll do. I shot more accurate than I had been shooting in quite sometime and after the last stage, I remembered seeing my sights :o .

I think I had been seeing dot..BLAM..seeing dot....BLAM. Whereas with the plain black sight, I was taking more time to look at my front sight in a "crisp" manner. My times were just as fast as they had been with the fiber. I think I will leave it out for a few matches and see how things go.

It would be interesting to see how much better I would do on a plate rack with the plain black sight.

I had a similar experience Sunday. I had been shooting poorly (impatiently) when I walked up to the line on stage 5 of 6. I noticed my FO rod was loose, and even remarked to the RO that I would be finishing the stage without my FO. Sure enough, it flew out after about 3 shots, and I just went back to looking at the front sight. It was the first decent stage I shot all day.

This morning I filled the hole with typewriter correction fluid, and when dry, painted it black with a Sharpie. I think I'll roll with this setup for a while.

I had a similar experience Sunday. I had been shooting poorly (impatiently) when I walked up to the line on stage 5 of 6. I noticed my FO rod was loose, and even remarked to the RO that I would be finishing the stage without my FO. Sure enough, it flew out after about 3 shots, and I just went back to looking at the front sight. It was the first decent stage I shot all day.

This morning I filled the hole with typewriter correction fluid, and when dry, painted it black with a Sharpie. I think I'll roll with this setup for a while.

Ive been thinking of what to fill that tiny hole with and all that came to mind was a mouse turd, crappy idea though :lol:

Im thinking of filling it with a black crayon

will the crayon melt if it gets hot enough? potential for gun problems maybe...

Possibly but it would have to be in bright sunlight, right now the weather here is cold and crappy. Im looking short term to see what happens.

For the past year and a half I have been running a FO on my limited, production and SS guns. For the WSSSC this year, I decided to run a different single stack with a Bo-mar rear and black serrated front sight. I had about a month of irregular practice before the match and I honestly thought that this sight arrangement was going to slow me down, however, I did not have time to put a FO on it.

Lo and Behold, it does not seem to slow me down at all. In fact one of the squad members commented that on one stage involving a line of pepper poppers it sounded like church bells as the poppers clanged down. I ended up finishing the match with only one miss on a NPM target and less then ten extra shots taken during the entire match.

I'll be running the same set-up from now through the Dust Devil to see if it was just a "one match wonder" or not.

• 4 months later...

Now I'm no iron sight expert, but if I were to design a FO sight I would mimick Brazo's microdot except instead of the front hole being round, why not square, to match the blade??? Yea, manufacturing would be a bitch, but now that would be cool.

funny, my FO fell out last week at a match. I left it hollow and merely looked through the hole where the FO was and I was shooting much faster and all A's! I think there really is something to changing the sites from black to FO, to even hollow. my.02